Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
BMW, Audi, MB, Porsche, VW Chrysler, GM and Ford Agree on Fast-Charging EV Standard

Single port fast charging - DC Fast - Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen

Global automakers from the United States and Germany will demonstrate fast-charging technology that will enable the recharging of most electrified vehicles with compatible systems in as little as 15-20 minutes.

Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Daimler, Ford, General Motors, Porsche and Volkswagen have agreed to support a harmonized single-port fast charging approach called DC-fast charging with a Combined Charging System for use on electric vehicles in Europe and the United States. Live charging demonstrations will be conducted during the Electric Vehicle Symposium 26 (EVS26) May 6-9.

The combined charging system integrates one-phase AC-charging, fast three-phase AC-charging, DC-charging at home and ultra-fast DC-charging at public stations into one vehicle inlet. This will allow customers to charge at most existing charging stations regardless of power source and may speed more affordable adoption of a standardized infrastructure.

The International Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has chosen the Combined Charging System as the fast-charging methodology for a standard that incrementally extends the existing Type 1-based AC-charging. The standard is to be officially published this summer. ACEA, the European association of vehicle manufacturers has also selected the Combined Charging System as its AC/DC-charging interface for all new vehicle types in Europe beginning in 2017.

The charging system design was based on the collaborative review and analysis of existing charging strategies, the ergonomics of the connector and preferences of U.S. and European customers. The Combined Charging System was developed for all international vehicle markets and creates a uniform standard with identical electrical systems, charge controllers, package dimensions and safety mechanisms.

The system maximizes capability for integration with future smart grid developments through common broadband communication methods regardless of the global location of the charging system. The combined charging approach will reduce development and infrastructure complexity, improve charging reliability, reduce the total cost-of-ownership for end customers and provide low maintenance costs.

Commercially available combined charging stations are projected to be available later this year. All committed OEMs have vehicles in development which will use the Combined Charging System. The first vehicles to use this system will reach the market in 2013.
Ads by Google
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
For those wondering, the top part of the plug is basically the current L2 plug. So existing L2 chargers will easily continue to be used by both old and new.

The difficulty is that the added-on DC part at the bottom physically prevents connection to many existing L2 cars, even though electrically it'd be perfectly usable.

And of course the handful of cars currently in the US with separate L3 connections will have no use for this, but that was to be expected.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3

Little bit more about the new standard, the one it's replacing, the befuddlement it may cause (doesn't seem to warrant the word chaos).

Thing is, the CHAdeMO cars also have L2, it's just fast charging we're talking about here, which very few vehicles (and even fewer charging stations) are equipped for. SAE should've gotten off their arse sooner, but it's not like the standard Nissan went with in the meantime is in any way entrenched...