Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d
X5 35d 2009,10, 11 Recall #11E-A03

New Recall: Certain emissions componenets including the SCR catalyst, DEF mixer and EGR valve may not be robust enough over increasing vehicle mileage. Result, the NOx emission standard could be exceeded, along with the the illumination of the "Service Engine Soon Lamp".

Last April at 26,000 milies my 2009 X535d (June production) Service Engine "On". I had a total emission system failure. BMW replaced sensors, catalyst converter, other componets and a reprogramming.
Now, Yesterday, I recieved a 11E-A03 - Recall Campaign SCR Catalyst, EGR Valve and/or DEF and ECU Software Flash notice.
My local BMW dealer does not have the parts in stock. Parts on order for a future all day service visit.

Note: After the above repairs the car performs better prior to the repairs. Car does well hauling my 3300lbs popup RV at 70mph getting 19.8 mpg and 29+mpg with no RV at highway speeds with plenty of passing power. I don't expect any performance improvement after the recall parts are installed. Just better engine emission system life.
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.

Last edited by Kzang; 05-16-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d
Engine is OK and proven. The 50 State emission control system "hang on" design/parts/electionics/programming is the issue IMHO!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I just got that Recall too. I just have some questions:

Did they just admit their emission components are not "robust"?
So they are only replacing the mentioned components or what they think needs to be replaced?
They already replaced my leaking EGR cooler are they going to replace it again?
How will changing the ECU software make the components more robust?

I also recall reading in the maintenance book that there is a 7yr warranty on emissions related components but my state is not included in the states mentioned -This does not sit well with me.

Last edited by chip4; 05-16-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip4 View Post
I just got that Recall too. I just have some questions:

Did they just admit their emission components are not "robust"?
So they are only replacing the mentioned components or what they think needs to be replaced?
They already replaced my leaking EGR cooler are they going to replace it again?
How will changing the ECU software make the components more robust?

I also recall reading in the maintenance book that there is a 7yr warranty on emissions related components but my state is not included in the states mentioned -This does not sit well with me.
Received my letter on Tuesday, have an appointment this Monday, I just recently had my EGR cooler replaced also, I assume the ECU update is similiar to the campaign with the
HPFP pumps, pumps were replaced and software was updated.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. The language in the recall notice is not artful, and a bit tortured... the mfg is legally required to give notice as to what is wrong. They are attempting, even in this notice, to spin this...'not robust enough as the miles increase'...as if 'it was good when designed, solid and all that...but just not robust enough as you customers kept on driving them'.

2. Spoke to a tech today that did much, much work on this failure a year ago- sounds like BMW is finally paying for a VERY expensive lesson on these diesels. The SCR cat alone is $2800 as I recall, an EGR valve, and 3-4+ hours of labor. Dealers just LOVE this, BTW. Ka-ching.

3. There is a FEDERAL warranty on the SCR cat. What this means is that BMW (or any mfgr) is required under FEDERAL law to warrant specific parts. The parts list is in the booklet. CAT is listed as is the DME/DDE. I'd argue that programming of that component is absolutely covered.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Here is my official Recall notice. I thought this vehicle was going to be a long term keeper -sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pg1.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	325329   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg2.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	325330  
Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
I thought this vehicle was going to be a long term keeper -sigh.
Really?!?!

Or are we just being dramatic.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Really?!?!

Or are we just being dramatic.
yes really!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Here is my official Recall notice. I thought this vehicle was going to be a long term keeper -sigh.
Way to jump ship at the first sign of any trouble, Chip! Virtually all vehicles, including those "bulletproof" Japanese makes, have had recalls. At least BMW is a) admitting it and b)fixing it BEFORE it becomes an epidemic. Enjoy your whatever-you-get.

P.S. I recieved the recall notice today, and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to setup an appointment. That's it. Simple. My dealer treats me well with the best customer service, in fact, of any of the 20 vehicles I've owned since 2000. I've kept my 2011 335d for a trouble-free year, and plan on many, many more enjoyable years with it.

1995 318iC 5 spd, manual top

Last edited by Deezl; 05-23-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl View Post
Way to jump ship at the first sign of any trouble, Chip! Virtually all vehicles, including those "bulletproof" Japanese makes, have had recalls. At least BMW is a) admitting it and b)fixing it BEFORE it becomes an epidemic. Enjoy your whatever-you-get.

P.S. I recieved the recall notice today, and will be calling my dealer tomorrow to setup an appointment. That's it. Simple. My dealer treats me well with the best customer service, in fact, of any of the 20 vehicles I've owned since 2000. I've kept my 2011 335d for a trouble-free year, and plan on many, many more enjoyable years with it.
What a load of horse shttt.

These emissions issues have been known for a couple years already amongst actual owners. BMW is only now finally admitting it because it is more widespread than they wanted to acknowledge.

Before it becomes an epidemic? LOL! Just like the fuel pump issue that they continue to try to brush aside?

Take off the BMW colored glasses and have a look at reality.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Jump Ship? Tell me again how many cars you have gone through. You're quick to judge for someone's first post on the E70 forum –get your facts straight because I never mentioned brand X was bulletproof. Unlike your trouble free and simple vehicle ownership -I have had more than my share of my ongoing issues with this vehicle, that is why I am here to share my experience, opinions and get more information about these issues. I still have my vehicle –so you can calm down.

Last edited by chip4; 05-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:59 PM

Don't worry Chip the diesels are bulletproof according to some of our residents here in our forum community. Take their word for it!
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Don't worry Chip the diesels are bulletproof according to some of our residents here in our forum community. Take their word for it!
So we're going to ignore all the N55 injector issues, carbon build up issues, HPFP issues right?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I think we need to have a voodoo doll of your gasser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	325355  

Last edited by ductman; 05-16-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
I too got this recall on my 2010 X5 Deisel. I have 42k miles on mine and am facing an extended warranty decision If I am to keep the vehicle. Just got off the phone with a service rep. They tell me that they need to inspect the car before they can order the parts. Doesn't make much sense since BMW knows the vin and my car has only been serviced by my dealer. I am quickly getting to the point where this X5 Deisel is more of a pain in the ass to own than it is worth. Reliability is sketchy at best and I use this vehicle for long trips. I have the vision of being in the middle of New Mexico with a check engine light and having it towed for 300 miles. My basic criteria for a vehicle is that it starts and gets me from point a to point b without breaking down. From a $70 k vehicle I expect that and more.

I have owned all the luxury brands over the past 20 years and find that BMW has the absolute worst customer service. I have owned several BMW vehicles over the past 10 years with good experience on reliability but feel that this Diesel technology is not proven or reliable. I am also tired of bringing my car in and having the dealer keep it for a week for basic stuff because BMW makes them prove everything to the last detail before they can order parts. Lexus, Acura and Honda make the Germans look like the Gestopo.

Sorry for my venting but this recall is the last straw for me. What assurance do we have that even after they replace these "non-robust" parts that this will not happen again in another 20k to 40k miles when the car is out of warranty. The short answer is none as BMW never tells what the hell is going on.

To make matters worse, a friend of mine bought a 2011 X535d on my recommendation . After his engine grenaded at 42k miles BMW tried to weasel out of fixing it claiming he caused the problem by getting water in the turbos. He was driving down the highway on a sunny day. He lost his car for three months and is still getting check engine lights and is required to take his car in for extended periods as they try to diagnose and then fix. I am beginning to believe there are complex engineering design issues with With the X5 diesel and BMW knows it.

Goodby BMW and hello Lexus or Acura.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRoaadster2000 View Post
Goodby BMW and hello Lexus or Acura.
I guess if you want to drive a couch (Lexus) or drive a Honda+, it's ok
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
I guess I would rather Drive a couch than Sit alongside the road I my over engineered BMW that doesn't run. What else could I expect from a devoted Bimmerfest X5 forum member?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I guess I would rather Drive a couch than Sit alongside the road I my over engineered BMW that doesn't run. What else could I expect from a devoted Bimmerfest X5 forum member?
If it's a POS, dump it. It's not a big deal. Just because it got recalled for an issue, doesn't mean BMWs are crap. Hell, have you seen the number of recalled Toyotas and Lexii recently? It's ridiculous. The fact here is that BMW is admitting their problems and working at it. It's not rocket science that they are struggling with reliability, but even with those issues, BMW is #1 in sales, so buyers really don't seem to care.

Latest JDPower put Mercedes higher than Honda and Acura for dependability. Lexus is obviously at the top, but you make it sound like they make 100% trouble free cars. Go read up on ClubLexus.

They're not as bulletproof as people make out out to be. Rattles galore, electrics. Sure, they have less instances of problems, but its not like Lexus is really problem-free.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 05-16-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Ever hear of the honda/acura transmission problems? Like guns and roses said, every rose has its thorn!

1995 318iC 5 spd, manual top

Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Like guns and roses said, every rose has its thorn!

Ha! Had to call you out on it
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
LoL!! Tell him a dozen times and he will still think you are crazy
Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
So we're going to ignore all the N55 injector issues, carbon build up issues, HPFP issues right?
Who said anything about the gas engines on this thread? We are talking about diesels your "bulletproof" X5!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about the gas engines on this thread? We are talking about diesels your "bulletproof" X5!
I understand you will ignore all the facts and proclaim the N55 beats all. It's alright. Not all of us are as misinformed as you. I guess that's what happens when you're from Jersey.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I understand you will ignore all the facts and proclaim the N55 beats all. It's alright. Not all of us are as misinformed as you. I guess that's what happens when you're from Jersey.

Especially near the GW Bridge, we all understand now