Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 \\325i\\
Dealer will not replace peeling interior trim

Hey gang,

I have been experiencing the peeling trim issue on my interior driver's side door grab, passenger side door grab, and the exterior black roof trim. Searching and reading through the posts on this issue with others experiencing their dealership replacing the parts with no questions asked made me very hopeful. However, after visiting my local dealership they pretty flat out said CPO warranty only covered "defects and not wear".

Car is 06 325i under CPO warranty until September 2012 and would very much like to get these bits addressed. What choices do I have? Is there a NA BMW tech bulletin I can shove on their face? Contact someone?

Looking for some help.

Thanks,

Paul
Ads by Google
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Did they give you a price for replacing trim? I've always wondered how much to have it done maybe around 50k I might do the whole car if it isn't insanely expensive.

I'd personally classify it as wear, its something that when exposed to the elements will deteriorate over time, but each person has an idea of how long that should be.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-29-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
dallas70

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I've got an '06 as well that has experienced some of the peeling you're talking about. To me it's just "normal" wear for this car, so I ordered and replaced a couple of the peeling interior parts from one of the site sponsors. The cost wasn't crazy and it's fairly easy to replace the peeling trim pieces in just a few minutes (used a Haynes manual as a reference before prying off old door pulls and cupholder trim).
Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
I think the issue is the CPO warranty, versus the original factory warranty. The CPO warranty is longer, but not as comprehensive ("bumper to bumper") as the original factory warranty.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss View Post
I think the issue is the CPO warranty, versus the original factory warranty. The CPO warranty is longer, but not as comprehensive ("bumper to bumper") as the original factory warranty.

Correct. The CPO warranty does not cover trim.....and many other things like that. There is a list of coverages and exclusions on www.bmwusa.com

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
It's a 7 year old car (especially being second hand CPO and of the base level trim of the entry level model), things deteriorate at this age without defect in workmanship. I don't see why BMW would be expected to have the incentive to cover "wear" items, whether by obligation or good will...

Just order the part and have them put it on for you. Trying to find a service bulletin to "shove in their face" just shows cheapness.

Last edited by Cultr; 05-29-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
This is not wear, BMW went cheap on the injection molded plastics by not including the color in the resin on early E90 models. This is the only way trim can peal and BMW knew this and made the change.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 05-30-2012, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 and 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
This is not wear, BMW went cheap on the injection molded plastics by not including the color in the resin on early E90 models. This is the only way trim can peal and BMW knew this and made the change.
They didn't go cheap. That nice rubbery feely coating stuff is an extra process and only adds to the cost. Durability is the issue especially if you have hand cream and rings on all the time. The outside parts, the UV will eventually get at it.
07 335 coupe - sold
Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
FWIW- I had an '06 545i that experienced the peeling and they replaced it without a problem under CPO warranty.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 \\325i\\
All,

I really appreciate the feedback, and I must apologize if I originally came across as being "entitled" to a free replacement. I had assumed that after reading through the numerous posts that the consensus was that these were known issues acknowledged by BMWNA and that these were covered under the valid CPO warranty, hence my reference to a tech bulletin. Optimally it would be nice if these were covered, but I like the car enough to replace them myself if needed.

As a note, I did have 3M pro grade tint installed shortly after purchasing the car and do not use any lotions on my hands. So although there is a theory that some or all of these factors play into the peeling problem I do not think it applied in my case. I do think that BMW does have a quality issue as it pertains to durability for these particular pieces, and should not be expected on vehicles priced in these ranges. Just my opinion of course, but I do love the BMW brand.

@dallas70 - I would be interested in finding out more about the sponsers you connected with.

Also, can anyone recommend a good color match for the grey dakota interior trim?

Paul
Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM
dallas70

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablotn View Post

@dallas70 - I would be interested in finding out more about the sponsers you connected with.

Also, can anyone recommend a good color match for the grey dakota interior trim?

Paul
I'm sure there are others, but I've ordered from www.BMWPartsSource.com . Select the OEM Parts tab, then at the bottom select Parts Catalog. I've ordered/replaced the passenger door pull and a cupholder; will be ordering the rear passenger door pull and new trunk lid lifts from them shortly. They're OEM parts so the colors are perfect matches for your interior (beige, grey, black, etc).

Last edited by dallas70; 05-30-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Included color comment
Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkHouston View Post
FWIW- I had an '06 545i that experienced the peeling and they replaced it without a problem under CPO warranty.
It may have been done during the CPO warranty, but it would have been covered under something else, like a TSB that called for the replacement. Trim is one of the things SPECIFICALLY excluded under the CPO warranty.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Normal wear and tear. Happens in many cars. Some things speed up the process (rough use, jewelry, chemicals, UV, etc).

It's happening on my shifter. It would be great to be able to inexpensively repair/replace it -but right now it's no biggy, and only noticeable when i touch it.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Personally, I think it is a load of crap that this is excluded from coverage and do think the OP should feel "entitled." I've never had this kind of peeling occur in any car I've owned. It was a dumbass approach to manufacturing, should be viewed as defect, and should be replaced at no cost to the OP.

At least that is my lousy two cents.....
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Personally, I think it is a load of crap that this is excluded from coverage and do think the OP should feel "entitled." I've never had this kind of peeling occur in any car I've owned. It was a dumbass approach to manufacturing, should be viewed as defect, and should be replaced at no cost to the OP.

So young, so angry, damn that rap music!

If this car was newer I would agree...but seven year old car things will happen. I've had cars in this age range that pealed. It sucks, but happens. The fact the OP even has CPO at 7 years is impressive. Maybe if this was under original warranty I would be more inclined to agree.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:

+1 cheap cost cutting measure that failed.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe stick
Quote:
-1. Not a cost cutting measure at all. In fact, clearly a cost adding feature compared to non-coated trim.

Now you can argue that the interior should be made with different materials such that plastics are only required in very, very limited amounts. But you can't seriously believe that the coated plastics cost less than uncoated, can you?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Yes... and after the decontenting insanity of MY2010 you will see more "wear" crap showing up like this.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Yes... and after the decontenting insanity of MY2010 you will see more "wear" crap showing up like this.
Please read the thread. This issue has nothing to do with de-contenting. It was a design issue with the early production E9x models.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:35 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

If the original owner had acted this problem would be gone. There was a TSB for the peeling and the parts were replaced in the first four years. Sorry, but that train has now been gone from the station way too long.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If the original owner had acted this problem would be gone. There was a TSB for the peeling and the parts were replaced in the first four years. Sorry, but that train has now been gone from the station way too long.
I understand that OP has no right to expect a fix under the CPO. The problem is that the flawed manufacturing process BMW used basically means that nearly every owner of the E9x from the early years of production will experience peeling at some point. And, unfortunately, for many owners, that will occur AFTER the warranty expires.

Now, I'm not saying the OP has a leg to stand on, but I think that is crappy and believe that it would be in BMW's best interest to step up and fix the problem.

So, I'm talking about what I think SHOULD happen and not about what WILL happen.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 05-31-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
There is a TSB related to the trim piece on the driver's side handle. Not sure what years it coveres. I am travelling and not near my home PC, so can't copy it for you, but I did find it via the interwebz. Pretty sure it was a TSB and not a recall, so might not help much unless covered under warranty.

My dealer replaced mine under warranty, but it was right before the CPO kicked in so was under the regular warranty. He did say they replaced them all the time, and BMW changed the way they do those pieces. Not sure if the TSB does any good if you're not under original full warranty.

Last edited by andrew b; 05-30-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
I had assumed that after reading through the numerous posts that the consensus was
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Folks, this IS NOT covered under CPO. And the presence of a TSB means nothing about warranty coverage if the indicated repair is not something that would be covered... i.e. if trim is not covered under CPO (which is the case) then a TSB about trim replacement is also not covered since that item is specifically excluded.

Y'all can debate all day whether this is wear or poor design, it doesn't matter... CPO doesn't cover trim, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 05-31-2012, 08:58 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
People are plasti dipping their wheels (lol), why not do the same to the trim? If they replace it, it will peel again.