Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: former 740iL -now DTS
Why did you choose the gt?

Hello - just found about the GT !! been considering an '11 535/550 sedan and now i am confused as to why wouldn't want a GT instead!!!

One of the reason I ask is that GM's CTS-wagon isn't as big a seller in my area as is the sedan ... it's the same car - why not take advantage of having a wagon and same equipment as a sedan ? .....is this the same 'logic' one could take with the GT ?
....any input would be so appreciated !!!
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
The GT is closer to the 7-series than a 5-series sedan; it has the interior room of the normal wheel-base 7-series. So, it is larger, sits a bit higher, and has more headroom than any of the BMW's, if that's an issue (it was with me!). The hatchback is handy, too.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
The GT is closer to the 7-series than a 5-series sedan; it has the interior room of the normal wheel-base 7-series. So, it is larger, sits a bit higher, and has more headroom than any of the BMW's, if that's an issue (it was with me!). The hatchback is handy, too.
------------------------------------------
interesting information !!! perhaps the F10's are lower in price than the GT explaining why more of them are sold ? many thanks for your help !
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
I all but had the wife talked into the CTS-V wagon, but the interior is just too small all around. Once my wife drove the GT, it was all over with.

Rear seat legroom and overall cabin space over the 5 series sedan, made the GT an easy pick for us.

Bryan Burnworth

Mine-2011 335is SGM

Hers-12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012

Kelleners Hamburg Graphite Silver Metallic 19x8.5/9.5 Michelin PS A/S+ Gloss to the max by me.

99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 05-30-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
I all but had the wife talked into the CTS-V wagon, but the interior is just too small all around. Once my wife drove the GT, it was all over with.

Rear seat legroom and overall cabin space over the 5 series sedan, made the GT an easy pick for us.
----------------------------------------
you're right about the space in the CTS - we disliked the seats also ....did you notice any appreciable difference in the CTS's seats vs. GT's ? if i'm not wrong the GT's are 20=way; the CTS onl 8-way. enjoy your car and thanks for your input !
Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDYTHE View Post
Hello - just found about the GT !! been considering an '11 535/550 sedan and now i am confused as to why wouldn't want a GT instead!!!

One of the reason I ask is that GM's CTS-wagon isn't as big a seller in my area as is the sedan ... it's the same car - why not take advantage of having a wagon and same equipment as a sedan ? .....is this the same 'logic' one could take with the GT ?
....any input would be so appreciated !!!
Hi EDYTHE. Most of the folks on this forum will agree with you - who wouldn't want a GT??!

As you pointed out, price may be a factor - the GT is more expensive than a sedan. Others claim they don't like the looks of the GT. Others say it feels too big (since it's on a 7-series base). Others are just happy-as-clams with the function of a sedan.

Cars are such a personal thing - you have to know what you want out of a car. For me, the roominess, the cargo capacity, the sportiness, the handling, the luxurious fit & finish, etc. presented a perfect blend for me. Personally, I wouldn't want a sedan.

As far as the looks, I opted for the MSport package because to my eye, the beefier front grill & added styling help to visually balance the size of the hatch. Mine is a lighter color too, which (again to my eye) helps to break up the rear bumper. I've attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW GT-2 03.20.12.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	327257   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW GT-1 03.20.12.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	327258  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyed View Post
Hi EDYTHE. Most of the folks on this forum will agree with you - who wouldn't want a GT??!

As you pointed out, price may be a factor - the GT is more expensive than a sedan. Others claim they don't like the looks of the GT. Others say it feels too big (since it's on a 7-series base). Others are just happy-as-clams with the function of a sedan.

Cars are such a personal thing - you have to know what you want out of a car. For me, the roominess, the cargo capacity, the sportiness, the handling, the luxurious fit & finish, etc. presented a perfect blend for me. Personally, I wouldn't want a sedan.

As far as the looks, I opted for the MSport package because to my eye, the beefier front grill & added styling help to visually balance the size of the hatch. Mine is a lighter color too, which (again to my eye) helps to break up the rear bumper. I've attached photos.
-----------------------------
wonderful information and help! you're so correct about cars being a personal 'like/dislike'
your car is just gorgeous !!! DH viewed the px you posted and was duly impressed !!!!
But because we're 'seniors' he's curious and he is wondering if the GT is more to the liking of ''the younger-set''- LOL ? or if one is 'more mature in age' one could have the GT for 'utility' purposes and a sedan that is a 'traditional-looking' BMW with it's classic-lines?
While we'd want is one that could serve two purposes ( utility and convenience of the extra 'storeage space) he's still wants a BMW that first is as lovely-looking and viewed as a 'luxury-sedan' .. ...then again perhaps one can't expect 'both' issues solve in one vehicle ...But yours is truely gorgeous! ...obviously we have to view the GT & sedan side by side which we plan on doing
....thanks again !!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:13 PM
What's Not to Love??

Quote:
-----------------------------
wonderful information and help! you're so correct about cars being a personal 'like/dislike'
your car is just gorgeous !!! DH viewed the px you posted and was duly impressed !!!!
But because we're 'seniors' he's curious and he is wondering if the GT is more to the liking of ''the younger-set''- LOL ? or if one is 'more mature in age' one could have the GT for 'utility' purposes and a sedan that is a 'traditional-looking' BMW with it's classic-lines?
While we'd want is one that could serve two purposes ( utility and convenience of the extra 'storeage space) he's still wants a BMW that first is as lovely-looking and viewed as a 'luxury-sedan' .. ...then again perhaps one can't expect 'both' issues solve in one vehicle ...But yours is truely gorgeous! ...obviously we have to view the GT & sedan side by side which we plan on doing
....thanks again !!
Thanks EDYTHE. Sounds like a bit of a dilemma. Not easy. I wouldn't worry about age perception, though. Buy a car based on what you like and what your needs are.

Some people who are "younger" buy the GT because they have children and the back seat and cargo capacity are great, without having to move to an SUV. Some people are "older" and like the utility plus the command seating. The GT is very easy to get in-and-out of. I think it's a car that can appeal to any age, really.

Your best bet is to drive them both and see what YOU and DH like better. Don't worry about what your neighbors or friends will think. Whatever you get, they'll be jealous!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks EDYTHE. Sounds like a bit of a dilemma. Not easy. I wouldn't worry about age perception, though. Buy a car based on what you like and what your needs are.

Some people who are "younger" buy the GT because they have children and the back seat and cargo capacity are great, without having to move to an SUV. Some people are "older" and like the utility plus the command seating. The GT is very easy to get in-and-out of. I think it's a car that can appeal to any age, really.

Your best bet is to drive them both and see what YOU and DH like better. Don't worry about what your neighbors or friends will think. Whatever you get, they'll be jealous!
---------------------------
yes - you're correct about looking/driving/assessing both ....

..'' Whatever you get, they'll be jealous!
now 'that's funny !!!
many thanks again for your ideas ,thoughts and insight !!!!! Edyth,
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
Hi, Edythe! These lovely folks in this forum have helped me make the final decision to purchase a 535i xDrive GT. For me it's the value...just seems as though I'll be getting more car for the $$$, considering that with my preferred options, this car is priced at same level as the 5-series sedan. And (this is the female in me) the color selections are so much better! LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganradio View Post
Hi, Edythe! These lovely folks in this forum have helped me make the final decision to purchase a 535i xDrive GT. For me it's the value...just seems as though I'll be getting more car for the $$$, considering that with my preferred options, this car is priced at same level as the 5-series sedan. And (this is the female in me) the color selections are so much better! LOL
------------------------------------------

hi ! do totally understand your decision on colors from the ''female' point of view - LOL ...thanks so much for your imput - will you be posting your car ? what color 'did' you get !!! enjoy - and thanks ! edythe
Old 05-31-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 05 G35X; 09 335 vert
I think the main difference to the buyer's eye is that the GT (compared to the 5) tends to be more expensive (about $5-8K more than a comparable equipped sedan), the interior is more spacious (it is based off the 7, not the 5) and the looks -- you either love it or hate it. or maybe you feel neutral. the point is, the sedan people think it looks ugly. the GT lovers think it's awesome. Personally when I think "sexy car", I think of my convertible. But when I think of "luxurious car that can be very sporty and carry lots of stuff very comfortably", then I think of the wife's GT.

The wife's previous car was the E66 750Li. She absolutely loved it. She wanted something that was just as luxurious and comfortable, but a little better gas mileage (turns out she's getting almost the same -- mostly her driving style), so she went with the GT. To her, the 5 was very nice, but the GT really reminded her of her 7 (spacious, comfortable, etc).

edit: I should add that in 2011, the GT was more expensive than the 5. Now with the ZVP (value package) they may be very similar in cost. For us, the extra cost was worth it. She's had her GT for 9 months or so -- she's around 16K miles now.

09 335 vert - ED Feb 09
06 325 vert - gone
05 G35x - winter

Last edited by kashrahman; 05-31-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashrahman View Post
I think the main difference to the buyer's eye is that the GT (compared to the 5) tends to be more expensive (about $5-8K more than a comparable equipped sedan), the interior is more spacious (it is based off the 7, not the 5) and the looks -- you either love it or hate it. or maybe you feel neutral. the point is, the sedan people think it looks ugly. the GT lovers think it's awesome. Personally when I think "sexy car", I think of my convertible. But when I think of "luxurious car that can be very sporty and carry lots of stuff very comfortably", then I think of the wife's GT.

The wife's previous car was the E66 750Li. She absolutely loved it. She wanted something that was just as luxurious and comfortable, but a little better gas mileage (turns out she's getting almost the same -- mostly her driving style), so she went with the GT. To her, the 5 was very nice, but the GT really reminded her of her 7 (spacious, comfortable, etc).

edit: I should add that in 2011, the GT was more expensive than the 5. Now with the ZVP (value package) they may be very similar in cost. For us, the extra cost was worth it. She's had her GT for 9 months or so -- she's around 16K miles now.
-----------------------
thanks so much for the above information !!! we haven't seen the GT in person so i guess that's the first step but knowing the comps to the '7' and space it's surely worth considering !!! enjoy ! edythe
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Why did I buy my 5gt? Simple. Price. Dealer was discounting my 550i GT $14k off sticker, and offered me $2k more for my trade-in. (Plus, no nearby Land Rover dealer had a Sport S/C in the color I wanted.)
But, be forewarned. The rate of depreciation on any 5GT is atrocious. Do not buy this vehicle under the impression of it being a value (or good buy) - its not. A 5-series sedan holds its residual values much more.
That being said, used 5GTs are an extremely smart buy. If buying/leasing new, you should be getting it at or below invoice.
Good luck with your buy. And welcome to the 5GT family.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avus9 View Post
Why did I buy my 5gt? Simple. Price. Dealer was discounting my 550i GT $14k off sticker, and offered me $2k more for my trade-in. (Plus, no nearby Land Rover dealer had a Sport S/C in the color I wanted.)
But, be forewarned. The rate of depreciation on any 5GT is atrocious. Do not buy this vehicle under the impression of it being a value (or good buy) - its not. A 5-series sedan holds its residual values much more.
That being said, used 5GTs are an extremely smart buy. If buying/leasing new, you should be getting it at or below invoice.
------------------------------------
wow this was important information about resale...it would not be a resale for us since it probably be our 'last' vehicle purchase - LOL ..however it's still good to be advised about the value-depreciation compared to the 535/550 !!! thanks for the purchase $ advices also !
Enjoy yours and many thanks for your time !!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by avus9 View Post
He speaks the truth Excellent car, I recommend it, and would get another one, although I was one of the early takers (12/09) and paid full MSRP. The only reason I pulled out/sold it is because i didn't want to loose all of the positive equity in the car. The early F12's are bricking in resale as well
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 06-08-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
He speaks the truth Excellent car, I recommend it, and would get another one, although I was one of the early takers (12/09) and paid full MSRP. The only reason I pulled out/sold it is because i didn't want to loose all of the positive equity in the car. The early F12's are bricking in resale as well
--------------------------------------
Im sorry but i don't understand what ''bricking-in-resale'' means (see above in red) - i assume you're agreeing that re-sale value is lower on trade than a standard BMW sedan? but in any case your input is greatly appreciated ! Edythe
Old 06-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
--------------------------------------
Im sorry but i don't understand what ''bricking-in-resale'' means (see above in red) - i assume you're agreeing that re-sale value is lower on trade than a standard BMW sedan? but in any case your input is greatly appreciated ! Edythe
Yes "bricking" is a metaphor I used to equate the resale value of the GT and the F12 6 Series. I don't quite understand why the GT's depreciate so rapidly. As i have always said, the value of the F07 in comparison to the F01(7 series) is apparent. In all actuality there are no true competitors to the GT. The sales numbers just don't support what is truly a great car.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Yes "bricking" is a metaphor I used to equate the resale value of the GT and the F12 6 Series. I don't quite understand why the GT's depreciate so rapidly. As i have always said, the value of the F07 in comparison to the F01(7 series) is apparent. In all actuality there are no true competitors to the GT. The sales numbers just don't support what is truly a great car.
----------------------------------
thanks for explaining ! ....you ask a good questioin ...why isn't this car selling like the other BMW models .... wonder if anyone has ideas?!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
----------------------------------------
Just found out that my local dealer doesn't have a single GT to let me 'see' - we'd like to see it next to the F10.... their other store (they have several in my state) has a few, but it's one hour away each way on a highway i label 'demolition-derby' - i'm not willing to travel just to 'see' if the car appeals to me ... not saying i'm 'right' - it's just my decision.. .... oh well....
Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 PM
What's Not to Love??

Sounds like a hassle EDYTHE. Can the sister-dealership send one over? Doesn't sound right that you should have to make the drive......

If not, will you go with a sedan? If so, 5-series or 7-series?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a hassle EDYTHE. Can the sister-dealership send one over? Doesn't sound right that you should have to make the drive......

If not, will you go with a sedan? If so, 5-series or 7-series?
----------------------------------
haven't asked one to be transferred but it wasn't 'offered' either ! .... resales of the F10 2011 are 'rare' at this agency also ....it's the only show in town unless we travel 1 hr each way west north and frankly no car is worth 'that' at my stage of life - LOL
ps: 'no' to a 7
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
Best lease rates and residual value around in fall of 2011 :-)

Last edited by Wardman; 06-01-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardman View Post
Best lease rates and residual value around in fall of 2011 :-)
-------------------we

we wouldn't be doing a lease - are you saying to wait for the Fall of '12 for the best value in a leftover '11/12? i think DH would agree with you ....
Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT xDrive
I took delivery of my 2012 in November. Held out as long as I could to try and getter better residuals, etc... But it turned out I got the highest residual and best incentives by locking in my deal in September. In general, if leasing, December is the best month to get a car. The residual values are never better and manufacturers tend to roll out incentives to pump up their yearly numbers. So I believe that the 2013's sweet spot in incentives and residual values (if leasing) will be October to December. Just my two cents. I lease a new BMW every 3 years since 1999.

PS With the horrible resale value of GTs (according to some posters), I'd lease rather than purchase one. Then at the end of the lease if you still want the car you can negotiate and pay fair market value. You should save more than if you financed for 5 years.

Last edited by bdman; 06-01-2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Added in PS re resale values