Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 06-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: Jacked up duramax
Little More Sound

So I know I know I just got the car, but I feel like I just want a little bit more sound out of it so I can hear the downshifting and all.... but not to much more.... do I need to get a whole new system? and if so what? or is there something I can remove, I saw on a 6 series thread that you can remove the resonators??? anyone have any insight?

Where I live in Oregon there is no Smog so I can do whatever I want

thanks guys
Ads by Google
Old 06-02-2012, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw m6
exhaust mods

i recently got under my m6 at my friendly muffler shop and deleted the cats without the o2 sensors. you HAVE to leave those cats with the sensors alone. You can also safely eliminate the resinator and just have your guy put in generic "test" pipes. It only cost like a couple hundred bucks and everybody wants to know who's brand exhaust i use because it sounds pretty nasty up around 6-8 k on the tac. I kept the original mufflers on and i hade somebody drive my car so u can hear it from the street. I ve checked alot of websites with their product on an m6. my car now sounds better than some $5000 complete exhaust.
Good Luck
Paul M

PEACE
Old 06-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Perfect thank you I think I'm just going to go that route... I don't want to get to crazy with the thing...
Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM

So I have plans of taking the car to the dealer and getting an extended warranty on it, I'm assuming if I remove the resonators they will catch it and void the warranty? Any thoughts??
Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: bmw m6
wait till you get the warranty to delete them.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
An aftermarket exhaust system will not void your warranty. I spoke with BMW about this. Obviously, the actual exhaust will not be covered by bmw if mods were done, but the new exhaust usually carries its own warranty anyway if its a reputable brand.

If you want to get a great sound, remove the canisters/resonators. It's super easy an cheap for an exhaust shop to do. Not sure if the m6 has a stock X pipe, but on my 650 I eliminated both resonators and put an X pipe toward the front of the car. Cost $200 bucks.

Goodluck!

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 AM

my m6 came w/ 4 cats. The front 2 ,one on each side, have the O2 sensors on them but the second set does not so I cut out the secondary cats. I also removed the resonator .and noticed there is a cross-over between sides . No x-pipe needed. I have been told by many,including BMW enthusiasts, that it sounds like a formula 1 car from behind @ 7.5k on the tac. Fortunately or not I haven"t heard it from the back of the car. Only once my wonderful wife had 2 use the car and she didn't realize she was in 1st! lmao!!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 650
When you get rid of the cats does it become significantly louder or just a little?
Will it drone?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 AM

got rid of cats bout 6 months ago.the car is very queit on the inside because all the sound is goin out back. everybody I talk 2 says it sounds like a formula 1 car when I start 2 tac abuot 6.5k and up. then it becomes head-turnig loud, not roar but the zippy type hi rev noise. can't exactly describe the sound but the thing like f'in zips! I only heard it once when my wife tried-tried to drive it. she tac ed out first til it hit the fuel cut @ 8.5k (could b part my fault cuz i just dumped 10k in performance pts!)anyway as for drone: non existant(spell ck please) like i say i have to ask people how it sounds cause i cant hear it. Good Luck
PS I have absolutly no regrets and i may even start modifying exhausts 4 others

Last edited by paul mertens; 10-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.