Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT
Have I missed something? (parking sensors)

Is it really true that I need to activate the parking sensors MANUALLY every time I'm parking or driving it to my garage?
When I'm in reverse the function automatically activates but what about when driving forward and then parking?

In all my other cars the front sensors are activated when driving at a certain slow speed.

Anyone?

Last edited by Mr Olsen; 06-12-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Olsen View Post
Is it really true that I need to activate the parking sensors MANUALLY every time I'm parking or driving it to my garage?
When I'm in reverse the function automatically activates but what about when driving forward and then parking?

In all my other cars the front sensors are activated when driving at a certain slow speed.

Anyone?
You are correct. Maybe you can recode this but that's how it works out of the box.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexhair View Post
You are correct. Maybe you can recode this but that's how it works out of the box.
What a shame, I think that this is just too stupid.
Mercedes among others have managed this task to perfection but BMW just have to make it complicated.

It's not that I can't park without but when driving in to my garage it's just nice to have it activated and event though it's just a push of a button it's killing me
Old 06-12-2012, 11:38 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Olsen View Post
What a shame, I think that this is just too stupid.
Mercedes among others have managed this task to perfection but BMW just have to make it complicated.

It's not that I can't park without but when driving in to my garage it's just nice to have it activated and event though it's just a push of a button it's killing me
On the flip side of it is the Volvo S80 I drove for a while. Everytime I came up on a dip or speed bump (they call it 'traffic calming' in Phoenix), it would light off. Wish that had a default off.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexhair View Post
On the flip side of it is the Volvo S80 I drove for a while. Everytime I came up on a dip or speed bump (they call it 'traffic calming' in Phoenix), it would light off. Wish that had a default off.
Our other car is an S80 and lex is right, it can be damn anoying having it on all the time. If I forget to turn it off and get to close to a care at a trafic light I starts beeping. Usually right in the middle of an important news storie or my favorite song...

Along the lines of the S80 v BMW this is the second case of something working exactly backwards. On the S80 the parking break is push to activate and pull to release of course it is the other way around on the GT. (Which makes sense as you wouldn't want to lean over and activate it while you were moving!)

FWIW
DLM
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31 PM
What's Not to Love??

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi GT MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
Our other car is an S80 and lex is right, it can be damn anoying having it on all the time. If I forget to turn it off and get to close to a care at a trafic light I starts beeping. Usually right in the middle of an important news storie or my favorite song...

FWIW
DLM
At first I thought what Mr Olsen was saying made sense - that it would be helpful to have parking sensors on when pulling into the garage - but dmunz makes an excellent point. It would stink to have the sensor beeping in traffic or at the drive-up, etc.

Mr Olsen, I know it's a little hard to judge with the GT, so I take a sighting in order to determine how far to pull into the garage. I constantly think I'm going to run over a set of bikes stacked against the far wall of the garage, but then when I get out of the car, I see I'm 3 feet away from hitting them. I still haven't practiced with rubber garbage pails to get a feel for the edges of the car, but it's on the to-do list. Especially because I don't want my MSport front grill to scrape a curb stop!