Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-05-2012, 08:03 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
F10 Bang and Olufsen

I thought this might be helpful to those buying 2013 models.

I did a back to back comparison of the Bang and Olufsen system in the 650i to the Harman Kardon Logic 7 system (BMW Premium/Professional Sound) in my 550i M-Sport.

I drove the 550i up to the dealership. I have a well calibrated setup where I have adjusted every setting to bring out the best sound of the HK Logic 7 system. I used the following tracks for my back to back comparison (please no fun of my musical choices):
  • All I ask of you, Phantom of the Opera
  • Come What May, Moulin Rouge Soundtrack
  • Beautiful, Christina Aguilera
  • Your Love is King, Sade
  • Dancing in the Dark, Bruce Springsteen
  • Lolita, Alizee
  • To the Moon and Back, Savage Garden
  • Tears at the Discotheque, Alcazar
  • Crossfire, Brandon Flowers
  • Supernatural, Santana
  • White Flag, Dido
On the way up, one thing which struck me was how good my Logic 7 system sounds. It's not mediocre at all - its actually very good. The weakness is the base response and the clarity of the vocals is good but not as clear as audiophile grade systems. The sound is fantastic at higher volumes, but at lower volumes are underemphasized. So I have a choice between excellent sound, and being able to hear my radar detector.

Here are my findings on the B&O.
1) Wow sound experience like being in a sound studio. The sound system is vastly superior on the more contemporary music. It is superb with jazz and dance-pop music. On stuff like Phantom of the Opera and Moulin Rouge it is better but not strikingly better (which tells me that on higher range vocals the logic 7 is quite good).
2) The bass response is fantastic at all volumes. This is the first thing that strikes you. You find bass in some songs you didn't even know about. Quite impressive. It is perfect.
3) The vocals are very crisp and clear. Christina Aguilera and Dido sound absolutely amazing. Also Ewan McGregor's vocals from Moulin Rouge were just ridiculous. It was like he was in the car with me.
4) Guitar is superb. On Roy Orbison's You Got It the detail was just incredible - you can hear his fingers running down the guitar strings. Absolutely amazing. Springsteen and Santana also played impressively.
5) Brass and percussion are also excellent. If you like jazz, you will LOVE this system. It was made for jazz.
6) You can tell the difference between songs encoded lossless and songs encoded at 160kbps. It is a striking difference which tells me that you need good quality music to get the most out of this. I played Dancing in the Dark in both 160kbps and Lossless since I had both files on my iPhone on different albums. At 160kbps the B&O didn't sound that impressive. In fact I think low quality music may sound worse on this system.
7) The above observations were while parked. I then took the car for a drive, and the sound seemed less striking. These cars let in a decent amount of road noise from the tires and you don't hear the crispness and clarity when you are driving. While driving the audio seemed very good, but not $3700 better, maybe $1000 better. When parked it sounds $3700 better.

Conclusion:
I was clearly very impressed with the system. Then I went back to the 550i and drove back home. I pumped up the HK Logic 7 and played the same tracks again. The Logic 7 didn't have the wow factor but it still sounded very good. But I noted one important thing - I almost got a speeding ticket because I didn't hear my radar detector going off. And this reminded me - listening to music is a good activity for a commuter, but not a good activity for a recreational driver like myself. My sound system should be off, so I can enjoy my 500hp and have maximum situational awareness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 10.48.26 PM.png
Views:	803
Size:	274.5 KB
ID:	331801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 10.49.29 PM.png
Views:	618
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	331802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-05 at 10.50.37 PM.png
Views:	897
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	331803  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0826D8C6D154488E82EF273783BE3B71.pdf (707.0 KB, 353 views)

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Ads by Google
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 AW 535i
Great review, I love the premium audio and am glad to hear it not obsolete. I am going to avoid making the same test drive so I can continue to fully enjoy my HK L-7, blissfully ignorant to anything better.

Off-Topic - I have been following your posts since I joined the fest but not until I saw your track list did I get a picture of the man behind the moniker. If I had run the same test I would have listened to a similar set list but posted that I listened to AC/DC and the Rolling Stones.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdance View Post
Great review, I love the premium audio and am glad to hear it not obsolete. I am going to avoid making the same test drive so I can continue to fully enjoy my HK L-7, blissfully ignorant to anything better.

Off-Topic - I have been following your posts since I joined the fest but not until I saw your track list did I get a picture of the man behind the moniker. If I had run the same test I would have listened to a similar set list but posted that I listened to AC/DC and the Rolling Stones.
Thanks buddy. I don't have ACDC or Rolling Stones in my library. I meant to test Guns and Roses on the B&O but I forgot. I also forgot to test Bruno Mars. To be honest the music selection I used was almost random. I also wanted to test Adele on the system but I knew she would sound good because BMW uses Adele to showcase B&O to journalists.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 07-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Great review. No doubt I would have gotten the B & O sound system for my 550 had it been available. But the HK premium sound system in the F10 is a dramatic improvement over the premium sound system in the E60.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 07-06-2012, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
But the HK premium sound system in the F10 is a dramatic improvement over the premium sound system in the E60.
Agreed x1000. The L7 in the E60 sucked, quite honestly. The F10 system is good.

A friend has the BO in his A5, and it's impressive (and it's not the $6K-$8K system). Where it really excels over my F10 Premium Sound is the clarity -- it's like the singer of the song is in the car with you.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Thanks Stealth, nice write up.

I agree, high, high end sound systems are something of a waste in the car, unless you plan on sitting in the back seat with Jeeves in the front. Then I suggest a 750LI or an A8L.

I do have to say, though, that some "premium" systems suck. The BMW's is very good. The uprated ELS system in my Acura apparently sounds for "Extremely Lousy Sound" as the difference, especially in talk radio, is night and day.

Bottom line, I'm glad that BMW offers a middle option between the base stereo and the B&O. I would pay for the HK system (and did) but not for the B&O.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-06-2012, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
i mean, come on. your music choices... i know i know you said no making fun.

but come on

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 07-06-2012, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Nice write up, thanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I thought this might be helpful to those buying 2013 models.

I did a back to back comparison of the Bang and Olufsen system in the 650i to the Harman Kardon Logic 7 system (BMW Premium/Professional Sound) in my 550i M-Sport.

I drove the 550i up to the dealership. I have a well calibrated setup where I have adjusted every setting to bring out the best sound of the HK Logic 7 system. I used the following tracks for my back to back comparison (please no fun of my musical choices):
  • All I ask of you, Phantom of the Opera
  • Come What May, Moulin Rouge Soundtrack
  • Beautiful, Christina Aguilera
  • Your Love is King, Sade
  • Dancing in the Dark, Bruce Springsteen
  • Lolita, Alizee
  • To the Moon and Back, Savage Garden
  • Tears at the Discotheque, Alcazar
  • Crossfire, Brandon Flowers
  • Supernatural, Santana
  • White Flag, Dido
On the way up, one thing which struck me was how good my Logic 7 system sounds. It's not mediocre at all - its actually very good. The weakness is the base response and the clarity of the vocals is good but not as clear as audiophile grade systems. The sound is fantastic at higher volumes, but at lower volumes are underemphasized. So I have a choice between excellent sound, and being able to hear my radar detector.

Here are my findings on the B&O.
1) Wow sound experience like being in a sound studio. The sound system is vastly superior on the more contemporary music. It is superb with jazz and dance-pop music. On stuff like Phantom of the Opera and Moulin Rouge it is better but not strikingly better (which tells me that on higher range vocals the logic 7 is quite good).
2) The bass response is fantastic at all volumes. This is the first thing that strikes you. You find bass in some songs you didn't even know about. Quite impressive. It is perfect.
3) The vocals are very crisp and clear. Christina Aguilera and Dido sound absolutely amazing. Also Ewan McGregor's vocals from Moulin Rouge were just ridiculous. It was like he was in the car with me.
4) Guitar is superb. On Roy Orbison's You Got It the detail was just incredible - you can hear his fingers running down the guitar strings. Absolutely amazing. Springsteen and Santana also played impressively.
5) Brass and percussion are also excellent. If you like jazz, you will LOVE this system. It was made for jazz.
6) You can tell the difference between songs encoded lossless and songs encoded at 160kbps. It is a striking difference which tells me that you need good quality music to get the most out of this. I played Dancing in the Dark in both 160kbps and Lossless since I had both files on my iPhone on different albums. At 160kbps the B&O didn't sound that impressive. In fact I think low quality music may sound worse on this system.
7) The above observations were while parked. I then took the car for a drive, and the sound seemed less striking. These cars let in a decent amount of road noise from the tires and you don't hear the crispness and clarity when you are driving. While driving the audio seemed very good, but not $3700 better, maybe $1000 better. When parked it sounds $3700 better.

Conclusion:
I was clearly very impressed with the system. Then I went back to the 550i and drove back home. I pumped up the HK Logic 7 and played the same tracks again. The Logic 7 didn't have the wow factor but it still sounded very good. But I noted one important thing - I almost got a speeding ticket because I didn't hear my radar detector going off. And this reminded me - listening to music is a good activity for a commuter, but not a good activity for a recreational driver like myself. My sound system should be off, so I can enjoy my 500hp and have maximum situational awareness.
Can you share your settings as I would like to compare to my current settings?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 AM
The Driver

My settings are the same as those recommended on the famous thread we all use or our settings except that I have pumped up 500 and 200 in the equalizer.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
The funny thing about this is that for my music (a lot of satellite radio and compressed MP3 on iPod), much of what B&O brings to the table would be lost.

Yes, there is the wow-factor and the cool metal surrounds.

But quite frankly every car I've had has improved on the prior (back to the days of a 1994 VW Passat which was rubbish in every regard).
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 AM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
The funny thing about this is that for my music (a lot of satellite radio and compressed MP3 on iPod), much of what B&O brings to the table would be lost.

Yes, there is the wow-factor and the cool metal surrounds.

But quite frankly every car I've had has improved on the prior (back to the days of a 1994 VW Passat which was rubbish in every regard).
It depends on what rate it is encoded. But I listened to both FM radio and lossless VBR MP3s and on both there was a huge advantage of the B&O system. I didn't bother to test CDS because I would never use a CD player.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I appreciate the "it's not worth $3700" comment above.

If it truly was a couple hundred bucks, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I'd rather invest my dollars/euro/pounds/yen in other things.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:53 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I appreciate the "it's not worth $3700" comment above.

If it truly was a couple hundred bucks, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I'd rather invest my dollars/euro/pounds/yen in other things.
This is exactly why I declined HK on my current crop of cars having had it on the older cars. I would decline the B+O as well even though I love the B+O in my friend's S5 coupe. At 3k plus I just do not see the value in it although I am sure it sounds wonderful. When BMW makes the HK standard (as it should) and the B+O 1500 bucks then I will buy the B+O.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: German
I can't wait for B&O to come into the rest of BMW's lineup soon, but they really need to lower the price because it is ridiculous. I think the major thing that BMW needs to work on for their Prem. Systems is bass because I've driven so many BMWs and none of them have good bass at all. Even if you turn up the bass, it tends to be harsh.

Audi has a lower-end B&O system in the A4/A5/Q5 and even that (it costs like $750) sounds fantastic. I've heard the one in the A8 and it is tremendous, but for $6k!? Hell no.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar F-Type V8 S
Tested an Audi Q7 TDI for my wife the other week and the car had the Premium B&O system. It truly is fantastic, but at 6k it's a questionable value. Undeniably cool, the tweeters rising up adds a great touch of theater, but at some point you just know that the mechanicals that drive it are going to give up the ghost.

The best "value" high end audio for me is the Burmester in the Panamera and Cayenne. It's astonishingly good, but still expensive...
BMW 550i, BMW 545i

Last edited by swajames; 07-06-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
nice, detailed write up.. thanks..
Old 07-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I can't wait for B&O to come into the rest of BMW's lineup soon, but they really need to lower the price because it is ridiculous. I think the major thing that BMW needs to work on for their Prem. Systems is bass because I've driven so many BMWs and none of them have good bass at all. Even if you turn up the bass, it tends to be harsh.

Audi has a lower-end B&O system in the A4/A5/Q5 and even that (it costs like $750) sounds fantastic. I've heard the one in the A8 and it is tremendous, but for $6k!? Hell no.
The bass in the premium sound in the F10 is very strong. Not so in the E60 and E39.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
The Driver

I think BMW shouldn't have gone for the $3700 B&O option. Instead they should have done something like a $1000 Mark Levinson Reference system with about 1000 Watts. That would have been much better value for the customers and also delivered a wow experience. Mark Levinson is owned by Harman so it they may have been able to negotiate around the Lexus exclusivity.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to coolfrank
Mein Auto: USA
agreed
Old 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to coolfrank
Mein Auto: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I think BMW shouldn't have gone for the $3700 B&O option. Instead they should have done something like a $1000 Mark Levinson Reference system with about 1000 Watts. That would have been much better value for the customers and also delivered a wow experience. Mark Levinson is owned by Harman so it they may have been able to negotiate around the Lexus exclusivity.
I agree just traded in my Mark Levinson
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
How does it compare to the enhanced premium dirac live?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Dollar for dollar, the BMW premium sound option is the best buy, its much better than the $750 Audi B&O system in the Q5 and A4. According to the OP, the BMW premium sound is not as good as the BMW new B&0 system, but is the BMW B&O system 5 times better than the BMW premium sound? Or is the A8's B&O 8 times better than the BMW premium sound? is the LS460's Mark Levison reference system 3 times as good as the BMW premium sound? The answer is no to all those in my opinion. I know sound quality is not proportional to price, but its hard for me to justify a $3700 option that is going to only improve the sound quality slightly.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Very articulate, thanks for sharing.
2008 335i (Retired)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F10 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
The bass in the premium sound in the F10 is very strong. Not so in the E60 and E39.
Hmmm. I have premium sound in both my old e60 and now f10. I think e60 has more solid if not equal bass than f10. F10 probably has deeper bass, but less thump. But its probably not a fair comparison anyways because all cars have different acoustics. Regardless, both sound much better than stock for sure.