Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4L
Oil filter parts ??? not identified

I was changing my oil on my N62 X5 engine. when I took the filter down, two prats came down with it that dont belong to the filter. I looked at the TKM diagrams but I could not see where these parts belong to. does anyone know where these parts could have come from? could it be from the oil pump? I have attached the picture. can anyone one help. Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Parts.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	332047
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Good day,

Without actually taking my oil filter canister apart, I can't be positive, but I believe it is an anti-flow back valve or flow regulation valve of some kind that sits in the bottom of the filter canister... My X5 is actually due for an oil change soon... I will take some pictures when I do... This isn't the first time I have seen this issue...

Cheers!!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:16 PM

. Actually when I chnaged the oil last time. I did not see these parts in the canister. This time when I was inscrewing the canister and before I took the canister off, once I pulled it down, the parts came down with it . They were resting in top of the element. So they were not in the canister .
Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo10 View Post
. Actually when I chnaged the oil last time. I did not see these parts in the canister. This time when I was inscrewing the canister and before I took the canister off, once I pulled it down, the parts came down with it . They were resting in top of the element. So they were not in the canister .
AAAhhh.. My fault... Kinda... It might be the same item I am thinking about but I didn't pull up an 04, which is different than my 01... Yours is flipped over so the filter comes out the bottom unlike mine that has a cap and filter lifts out of the canister... Did you happen to see a small spring in there too? You may not since yours might be pressure operated... I can pull my filter without draining my oil and see what I see... I'll post pics after Church...

Cheers!!

Have a blessed Sunday all!!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 PM

well, i put the filter back in and filled the crankcase with oil ans started it, did not feel anything different. so i am going to keep on driving it until i feel a difference. thank you for your input and feedback.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.8is
I believe that is a check valve or pressure valve. yes you do need it installed. I had one come out in one om my cars about 20 years ago. I just stuck it back in the hole it came out of and was good to go. However it wasnt a BMW.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: X4
me too!

I ran into this too. Does anyone know where these parts actually go? I took the filter housing off, and looked carefully, and I don't see anyplace they'd attach.

Also, do I have to put them back, or can it wait until next oil change? (I don't want to have to replace another $75 worth od synthetic oil.)

I have a 2005 X5. The filter housing comes off underneath the vehicle.

thanks,