Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
Exclamation X5 35d vs. Porsche Cayenne Diesel

Hey guys,

what are your thoughts on this match-up? I'm convinced I'm going to buy a Diesel car, now it's a matter of deciding between the 2. I never thought I'd see these 2 cars priced so closely, but hey, thanks Porsche!

Let me know your thoughts,
Dan.

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
Hey guys,

what are your thoughts on this match-up? I'm convinced I'm going to buy a Diesel car, now it's a matter of deciding between the 2. I never thought I'd see these 2 cars priced so closely, but hey, thanks Porsche!

Let me know your thoughts,
Dan.
If all things are equal I am taking the Cayenne but they really aren't, a basically equipped Cayenne is approx 68k however a similiar MSRP X5 can be had approx 10-12k less due to
discounts, only you can decide if an extra 10k is worth it as I am sure the discounts on the Cayenne are not there.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Definitely the Porsche.

But seriously, have you priced them both out fully configured with incentives?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
Yeah, that's the problem with Porsche ... they have so many options and ways to customize the car that it's just impossible to get a competitive price. After discounts we're looking at a $10-15k delta and that's tough, though I might be willing to do that if it's worth it. Haven't driven the Porsche yet because I know for sure I'll love it, just a matter of loving it enough.

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Old 07-11-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
Yeah, that's the problem with Porsche ... they have so many options and ways to customize the car that it's just impossible to get a competitive price. After discounts we're looking at a $10-15k delta and that's tough, though I might be willing to do that if it's worth it. Haven't driven the Porsche yet because I know for sure I'll love it, just a matter of loving it enough.
Yup, the customization is endless.

Another major is how quick do you want the car. You can have a E70 in your garage within a month. The Cayenne is going to harder because it's made in Germany and the TDIs are going to be much rarer than the V6/V8/V8T Cayennes. If it's anything like the Touareg TDI or Q7 TDI, you're looking at a couple months easily.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Cayenne any day. It looks better in my opinion, fuel mileage will probably the same if not better in Porsche, both equally fast, the interior I think it's better in Cayenne, lots of buttons and who does not like lots of buttons etc. plus it is Porsche.
If you're really in between then if I were you I'd wait until the new X5 comes out (late '13? as '14 model? or early '14), compare and decide then. Porsche Diesel won't be available in US probably until late this year or early next year anyway. That's why I personally bought an affordable '09 35d. I'll drive it until 2014 and then decide between the new X5 diesel, Porsche diesel or GL350.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Are you leasing or buying for the long haul? If you are leasing, I'd seriously consider the Cayenne. They are great looking vehicles, and the price difference won't sting as much. If you are buying, then the X5 is hard to beat. It should much more reliable than the Cayenne -- especially since BMW has had a few more years to work out the kinks on the US emissions requirements. As a reference point from the petrol version, Consumer Reports ranks the Cayenne's reliability as worse in class for reliability. Audi, VW, and Porsche seem to consistently end up on the unreliable list (i.e. - expensive repairs). The 35D got average reliability which was better than the 35i actually.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
Are you leasing or buying for the long haul? If you are leasing, I'd seriously consider the Cayenne. They are great looking vehicles, and the price difference won't sting as much. If you are buying, then the X5 is hard to beat. It should much more reliable than the Cayenne -- especially since BMW has had a few more years to work out the kinks on the US emissions requirements. As a reference point from the petrol version, Consumer Reports ranks the Cayenne's reliability as worse in class for reliability. Audi, VW, and Porsche seem to consistently end up on the unreliable list (i.e. - expensive repairs). The 35D got average reliability which was better than the 35i actually.
Porsche is consistently at the top for IQS, long term reliability, and build quality. FYI, Audi is ranked higher than BMW for long term reliability in JDPower.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Porsche is consistently at the top for IQS, long term reliability, and build quality. FYI, Audi is ranked higher than BMW for long term reliability in JDPower.
I don't recall seeing JD Power ratings for specific models, but I'd be surprised if they rated either of these brand's SUVs highly. Consumer Reports put the Cayenne, Q5, and Q7 at worst in class reliability.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I don't recall seeing JD Power ratings for specific models, but I'd be surprised if they rated either of these brand's SUVs highly. Consumer Reports put the Cayenne, Q5, and Q7 at worst in class reliability.
I traded in a 07 Audi Q7 on my X5d. Completely bulletproof car for the 4 years I had it. Know tons of people with Q5s. Again, no issues.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
I traded in a 07 Audi Q7 on my X5d. Completely bulletproof car for the 4 years I had it. Know tons of people with Q5s. Again, no issues.
I have nothing but bad luck with Audi, total garbage IMO,

2002 A6 2.7 T, saw the shop approx every other week, dumped at 27k

2010 Audi Q5- Lemoned- had it about 2 weeks ( 367 miles ) mechatronics unit on transmission failed, replaced , next day the transmission failed, spent approx 60 days
in the shop , only bright spot is that they gave me a brand new Porsche Cayenne to drive.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
OK....just checked JD Powers, as I was curious. The Cayenne is rated highly in aggregate by JD Powers due to performance and features. Reliability is in their lowest category as I suspected -- along with our beloved X5
Old 07-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
OK....just checked JD Powers, as I was curious. The Cayenne is rated highly in aggregate by JD Powers due to performance and features. Reliability is in their lowest category as I suspected -- along with our beloved X5

Honestly, I've given up on looking at all of these ratings because they are always all over the place. Everyone rates the X5 and Q7 as having poor reliability, but I seem to be doing better with them than the Lexuses and Toyotas in my family.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 PM

OP, if you are buying, it's not a bad idea to get the BMW. I say this because my X5 was $62k (sold for $54,XXX). A Cayenne TDI priced with the same toys and such was over $70k and the dealer is offering a max of $1k off sticker (even after buying multiple cars from them).

A X5 might be almost $20k less, which is a considerable chunk of change. Next time around, I might swing the extra coin for the Porsche, but the E70 is a fantastic option.

If the Cayenne TDI was around last year, I would be driving a Porsche. People can call me a badge whore, but Porsche does have more brand prestige than BMW and with that comes some ridiculously priced options.

The BMW is basically the second best driving car in its class. I love my E70, but there's just something else about the Cayenne. If you can afford it and are willing to pony up, life is short, enjoy yourself. The Cayenne TDI will be a rare car.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
OP, if you are buying, it's not a bad idea to get the BMW. I say this because my X5 was $62k (sold for $54,XXX). A Cayenne TDI priced with the same toys and such was over $70k and the dealer is offering a max of $1k off sticker (even after buying multiple cars from them).

A X5 might be almost $20k less, which is a considerable chunk of change. Next time around, I might swing the extra coin for the Porsche, but the E70 is a fantastic option.

If the Cayenne TDI was around last year, I would be driving a Porsche. People can call me a badge whore, but Porsche does have more brand prestige than BMW and with that comes some ridiculously priced options.

The BMW is basically the second best driving car in its class. I love my E70, but there's just something else about the Cayenne. If you can afford it and are willing to pony up, life is short, enjoy yourself. The Cayenne TDI will be a rare car.
+1

Exactly what he said.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

As I mentioned in another post... I have driven the Cayenne Diesel in Europe (it is slightly different) and I will be driving the U.S.-spec model in Alaska in a month at a media event.

Based on my initial experience (about 250 miles mixed Autobahn/city), the Cayenne is a bit slower but it handles better than the X5 35d — thank basic physics and suspension tuning. (I did 145 mph in the Cayenne Diesel... )

- Mike

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Mike - will be looking forward to your review of the new Cayenne diesel. I was wondering, do they even HAVE a Porsche store in Alaska? OTOH, the Cayenne would be the perfect Porsche for that environment -- along with domestic 4WD iron! Too bad it is not a comparo with the other diesel SUV's, including the new Jeep GC oil burner -- that would be interesting!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Mike - will be looking forward to your review of the new Cayenne diesel. I was wondering, do they even HAVE a Porsche store in Alaska? OTOH, the Cayenne would be the perfect Porsche for that environment -- along with domestic 4WD iron! Too bad it is not a comparo with the other diesel SUV's, including the new Jeep GC oil burner -- that would be interesting!
http://anchorage.porschedealer.com/

Looks like they do
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
Based on my initial experience (about 250 miles mixed Autobahn/city), the Cayenne is a bit slower but it handles better than the X5 35d — thank basic physics and suspension tuning. (I did 145 mph in the Cayenne Diesel... )

- Mike
How much slower is what I'm curious about. It's only down about ~20hp, but is a good deal lighter and has a quick shifting 8 speed ZF box.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
the Cayenne is a bit slower but it handles better than the X5 35d —
Apples to apples? or AD to whatever P offers? just curious.

A
Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Apples to apples? or AD to whatever P offers? just curious.

A
The one I drove in Europe felt less springy off the line... but again, it was a Euro-only model (while they are both 3.0-liter engines, I think the Euro-only model has a completely different injection/intake, to meet Euro emissions regulations). I had a long talk with the Porsche engineer over it earlier this year... too many beers.

- Mike

Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
buy X5M
Old 07-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
I have the gas powered versions of both the Cayenne and X5. Both are great but if I could choose only one and the $10-12k difference isn't an issue I would choose the Cayenne. Better handling, interior, etc. quality seems to be the same.

For what it's worth, when I investigated the reported issues for new cars you have to understand how they capture the data. They ask people to provide feedback on features when they first buy the car. What seems to have happened to the Cayenne is the just awful memory seat Implementation and people complained (rightfully) about it. There were also lots of complaints about not having a clock. These seemed to push the overall rating down. The rest of the car is rock solid. Porsche did make some software improvements and added a clock to the dash since then. You just need to be careful in generalizing off of any of these surveys.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
If you can restrain yourself with the options and just want the car itself -- the base diesel Cayenne is a great deal, lots of included content that the X5 has as options (leather seats etc.), but you would have to order the car and wait since the dealer will only have "well optioned" -- cars on their floor. However as others have said, there will be virtually no discounts (certainly no generous "eco credit" on the Porsche) and your out cost will be higher.

Last edited by UncleJ; 07-12-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: 328 Mspo, 958 Piggy, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
I have the gas powered versions of both the Cayenne and X5. Both are great but if I could choose only one and the $10-12k difference isn't an issue I would choose the Cayenne. Better handling, interior, etc. quality seems to be the same.
If price difference is not big a deal, nor the unappealing leasing, Cayenne is an ideal DD. Handling, build quality, interior quietness, exhaust note, as well as fit and finish are top notch. Porsche's pricing, IMO, is very misleading, not to mention very little discounts can be had - even for repeated customers.