Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528i
A/C fan won't turn off and now dead battery

2000 BMW 528i - yesterday when I turned off ignition, the A/C fan kept running. I tried turning off everything I could think of, no luck. I went ahead to take care of an errand and when I came back a few minutes later, the fan had turned off. Got back to work, turned car off and the same thing happened again. Had to get back to work and thought maybe it would turn itself off again after a few minutes... wrong! After I got off work the car was completely dead, I couldn't even manually unlock the driver-side door. I can open the trunk though for what that's worth. Any ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
Ads by Google
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 530i
Bad relay of some kind? Maybe in the mean time you can pull the fuse after you park it. A real pain but a temporary band aid till you diagnose it.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i E39
I like how this thread is unattended. I actually may have the solution, sorry for being late.
I also had a BMW 528i E39 1999 year model. (original buyers and parents say its 2000) The problem started when the battery was always dead, I replaced the battery; after a few weeks the problem persisted.
I found out from my local mechanic that it was a defective unit in the A/C Fan unit. Don't believe me?
Once you jump start your car and verify that your battery is working efficiently (go to a auto store and tell them to test your battery, say you have it warranted if you don't.) They will test if the battery can hold the charge. Turn your Fan to the middle setting, than to full blast. There will be no difference. The fan system will also run even when you remove the key. If these factors are faced by you, there is something wrong with the fan. The repairs on my E39 was over 400 for parts and labor.
The reason why your battery is dead on a regular basis is that the system runs even when you are not at your car. When the car is off, the alternator is not creating energy for your battery.
Good luck.

Last edited by Pwnography; 08-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.