Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5 4.4i
Exclamation 2003 BMW X5 4.4i Cooling System Overhaul

I have a few questions for my cooling system overhaul,

2003 BMW X5 4.4i 237K km's

Recently my serpentine belt tore and I went to replace it (DIY) and discovered when I tried to tighten the tensioner pulley the water pump pulley tilted down a little due to the tension. I discovered this after when I turned my car back on and noticed the serpentine belt was slowly coming off the water pump pulley as it spun. After releasing the tensioner pulley I was able to slightly move the water pump pulley with my hands(still attached to the fan clutch) and would "pop" down or up depending on which direction I was pulling or pushing. From the forums I discovered if you can move or "play" the water pump/water pump pulley it meant that it's time for replacing.

My question here is, do I need to replace my fan clutch as well? What are the signs when one needs to replace the fan clutch?

Also, my coolant reservoir is leaking profusely, from the top lid coming out of the seams, everywhere. I am ordering a new cap and tank to replace the old one, my question is, do I need to replace the coolant sensor or can I use my existing one? My sensor seemed to work fine as it constantly reminded me to "check coolant level" since my reservoir was leaking, so I'm guessing it's doing it's job.

So to reiterate,

1. How do I know if I need to replace my fan clutch and do I need to replace it based on my description?
2. Can I reuse my coolant sensor when replacing the coolant reservoir?

Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google