Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Some Cobb experience

I've been running Cobb AccessPORT on my 535i Sport for a couple of weeks. Installed Stage 1 Sport Stock Throttle v401 about a week ago, and love it. It makes the car feel smooth as silk ... smooth acceleration and shifting. Even my wife loves it ... although she always is a bit nervous that I'm going to screw up our bimmer.

Today installed Stage 1 Aggressive Stock Throttle v401, and was taken aback by the extra power. Drove around for a while and decided to put it back to Stage 1 Sport, because it felt more "daily drivable", while Agressive didn't seem quite as smooth. Of course, when I'm in the mood I'll change it back to Aggressive.

Running 93 octane here, so even Drive and Sport modes kick butt ... while Agressive kicks a$$.

For the heck of it, I made some quick runs while monitoring the boost. They were run in regular automatic Drive, and all I did was hit the throttle to "passing gear" (as we used to call it). RPM went to about 6k each time. Boost for Stage 1 Drive maxed at 14.4 psi, while the Aggressive maxed an 17.1 psi. (That's another reason I went back to Sport. I felt that there's no need to work the turbo's too hard on a day-to-day basis ... just my feeling).

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Hey what's up Burnie. Im now running stg1 aggressive map also but I am using the linear throttle map. The stock throttle map lets you push the pedal down less to get more power. I like the linear better since it feels smoother when I press down the pedal and when I really press down the car goes into take off mode. The sport mode was fun but I'm going to keep mine in aggressive mode. If you are worried about the boost, which ive see other cars running 16-17 psi max, you can datalog a couple of runs and send them to Cobb or post them on their forums for examination.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnie35 View Post
I've been running Cobb AccessPORT on my 535i Sport for a couple of weeks. Installed Stage 1 Sport Stock Throttle v401 about a week ago, and love it. It makes the car feel smooth as silk ... smooth acceleration and shifting. Even my wife loves it ... although she always is a bit nervous that I'm going to screw up our bimmer.

Today installed Stage 1 Aggressive Stock Throttle v401, and was taken aback by the extra power. Drove around for a while and decided to put it back to Stage 1 Sport, because it felt more "daily drivable", while Agressive didn't seem quite as smooth. Of course, when I'm in the mood I'll change it back to Aggressive.

Running 93 octane here, so even Drive and Sport modes kick butt ... while Agressive kicks a$$.

For the heck of it, I made some quick runs while monitoring the boost. They were run in regular automatic Drive, and all I did was hit the throttle to "passing gear" (as we used to call it). RPM went to about 6k each time. Boost for Stage 1 Drive maxed at 14.4 psi, while the Aggressive maxed an 17.1 psi. (That's another reason I went back to Sport. I felt that there's no need to work the turbo's too hard on a day-to-day basis ... just my feeling).
Thanks for the great write-up. I am exactly like you - want a healthy bump - but not at the expense of over stressing the sweet in-line 6 we have. Im planning to order my cobb in a few weeks. It has been so hot here I thought it would be better with cooler ambient temps while I install and 'learn' my new Cobb tune. Also, I think Cobb was on the verge of going to a new version for the N54 - as it had been in beta for a while. I too use 93 octane. You mention it is very smooth - is it also noticeably quicker in sport setting?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Old Timer (Really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
You mention it is very smooth - is it also noticeably quicker in sport setting?
Yes, a lot quicker and smoother than the factory settings. I used the Drive setting for a little bit, but it didn't do much for me.

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
Glad to hear that you're happy with the COBB AP as it definitely gives the car the extra power and kick it deserves! The v4.01 and v4.02 Off-The-Shelf maps for BMW N54 Cobb AccessPORTs have been promoted to General Release. The v4.01 and v4.02 maps now supersede v3.01 maps, which have been archived. COBB Tuning recommends upgrading to the latest version of the maps for optimal performance. These maps can be downloaded from the BMW AccessPORT Off-The-Shelf Map Database. For instructions on downloading maps, transferring them to the AccessPORT and flashing them to the BMW ECU, please see the Step-by-Step Map Download and Install Tutorial.
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 07-26-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
Glad to hear that you're happy with the COBB AP as it definitely gives the car the extra power and kick it deserves! The v4.01 and v4.02 Off-The-Shelf maps for BMW N54 Cobb AccessPORTs have been promoted to General Release. The v4.01 and v4.02 maps now supersede v3.01 maps, which have been archived. COBB Tuning recommends upgrading to the latest version of the maps for optimal performance. These maps can be downloaded from the BMW AccessPORT Off-The-Shelf Map Database. For instructions on downloading maps, transferring them to the AccessPORT and flashing them to the BMW ECU, please see the Step-by-Step Map Download and Install Tutorial.
I assume the production version 401 is the same as the beta 401 ... am I correct? Or do we need to download a copy of the General Relase version. If they are different, normally they would have a different number.

2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Quote:
So if I order a Cobb AP from you next week does it arrive with b4.01 pre-installed or do I install the software on the AP when I receive it?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 535i & C6
Quote:
Mod
Once Cobb is installed, how long does it take to change maps that are loaded into the Access Port?
Old 08-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to uwhusky
Mein Auto: 2008 e60 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
Mod
Once Cobb is installed, how long does it take to change maps that are loaded into the Access Port?
If you're installing a map to your stock BMW, it takes about 20-25 minutes the first time. This is because it first takes your stock map from the car and downloads it to your AP, then it installs the map you chose from the AP to your car.

If you're installing a new map over an old map (like going from Sport Map to Aggressive or Stock throttle to linear throttle) it only takes about 5-10 minutes because it doesn't need to download the map from your car at that point.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 535i & C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhusky View Post
If you're installing a map to your stock BMW, it takes about 20-25 minutes the first time. This is because it first takes your stock map from the car and downloads it to your AP, then it installs the map you chose from the AP to your car.

If you're installing a new map over an old map (like going from Sport Map to Aggressive or Stock throttle to linear throttle) it only takes about 5-10 minutes because it doesn't need to download the map from your car at that point.
Ok, thanks for that.
I thought it would only take a minute or so.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Glad to hear that you're happy with the COBB AP as it definitely gives the car the extra power and kick it deserves!
I've seen charts on performance gains for just adding the Cobb AP alone. I have not seen data on how much more power and torque can be gained from adding intake and or exhaust in addition. Anyone done this stepwise?

I guess same for JB4? Anyone added the JB4 first and then further tuned? Is it diminishing returns or not?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 PM

When looking at the various maps, they list requirements for the various stages.

What do these abbreviations mean in that chart? IC, DP

For "Intake", I'm assuming they are referring to a dual cone intake?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
When looking at the various maps, they list requirements for the various stages.

What's up uwhusky. The abbrev IC = intercooler, DP = downpipes, CBE = cat back exhaust.

2009 AW 535i
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
What's up uwhusky. The abbrev IC = intercooler, DP = downpipes, CBE = cat back exhaust.
Thanks for clarifying. I have none of those and have no plans of installing any of them.
I am seriously thinking of installing the Burger Motorsports dual cone intake. At only $95 and a fairly easy install (or so I've heard) sounds like a relative "no brainer".
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
Quote:

Quote:
That is absolutely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnie35 View Post
I assume the production version 401 is the same as the beta 401 ... am I correct? Or do we need to download a copy of the General Relase version. If they are different, normally they would have a different number.
You may want to re-download and re-flash your car with the general release v401/v402 maps.
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM

Just out of relative curiosity, what are the rough estimates on cost for each of these mods?

Intercooler?

Downpipe?

Catback exhaust?
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to xclone
Mein Auto: 2008 535iA
Quote:

It's pretty much any after market intake. The stock intake is a limiting factor when tuning the engine so any aftermarket one will suffice.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermar View Post
So if I order a Cobb AP from you next week does it arrive with b4.01 pre-installed or do I install the software on the AP when I receive it?
Thanks
If it doesn't it is very easy to up data the AP. Just install the AP manager program it comes with or download it from cobb tuning. Once installed you connect the AP to the pc with the program open, update the AP, plug the AP into the car to determine ecu and then replug the AP and download the new maps based on your ecu. There are lots of youtube videos on how to update. It is definitely worth getting an a whole lot of fun once installed.

2009 AW 535i

Last edited by booyaazaa; 08-03-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
Ok, thanks for that.
I thought it would only take a minute or so.
It varies based on your cars battery strength. When i change maps its only a few minutes. But like what husky said to new install/uninstall it takes a little bit of time.

2009 AW 535i
Old 08-06-2012, 05:53 AM

All the supporting mods do is allow you to go more aggressive with the tune. Believe me, there is a huge gain between stag 1 and stage 2 plus. Around 40hp. It all depends on how far you want to take your car though.

The intake should be used with any tune. Adding an exhaust did little for me, performance wise, besides making it sound better. It did, however, remove the back pressure from the system (turbos do NOT like back pressure) and make me about 40 lbs lighter (about a 4hp gain in weight reduction).

The high you go with any tune the more in diminishing returns you will get unless you are making serious engine modifications (bigger turbo, single turbo, engine swap, etc). When you consider the price of those items though, the amount of HP we get, per $$ from a tune is outrageously cheap!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
So why is it a big deal removing the back pressure if there is little hp to be gained? Longevity for the turbos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclone View Post
All the supporting mods do is allow you to go more aggressive with the tune. Believe me, there is a huge gain between stag 1 and stage 2 plus. Around 40hp. It all depends on how far you want to take your car though.

The intake should be used with any tune. Adding an exhaust did little for me, performance wise, besides making it sound better. It did, however, remove the back pressure from the system (turbos do NOT like back pressure) and make me about 40 lbs lighter (about a 4hp gain in weight reduction).

The high you go with any tune the more in diminishing returns you will get unless you are making serious engine modifications (bigger turbo, single turbo, engine swap, etc). When you consider the price of those items though, the amount of HP we get, per $$ from a tune is outrageously cheap!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I told myself i was going to only do a cobb ap and nothing else. But I'm finding myself looking at the bms dci and a remus exhaust. I know many have argued this point with stock box w/bms dropin vs bms dci. The only thing is having to uninstall when i take it in for servicing and vice versa. That is what has me on the fence still from pullin the trigger. Damn these cars get expensive.
From what I have seen (and heard), no dealer will care about ANY intake you have as long as you have a filter on it. Intakes alone give you nothing but sound and do not impact the operation of the engine or fuel system.

Just wait until you decide you want an IC, Methanol injection and downpipes... I was just like you, I just wanna do this and i'm done. That first step is damn slippery..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vax View Post
So why is it a big deal removing the back pressure if there is little hp to be gained? Longevity for the turbos?
The turbos will be much happier with less backpressure. The 535 especially is pretty restricted on the exhaust side with 2 sets of cats and 2 mufflers. When you replace the exhaust you remove alot of that (so you get more power from a weight reduction), less backpressure (happier snails) and a much nicer sounding car.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
From what I have seen (and heard), no dealer will care about ANY intake you have as long as you have a filter on it. Intakes alone give you nothing but sound and do not impact the operation of the engine or fuel system.

Just wait until you decide you want an IC, Methanol injection and downpipes... I was just like you, I just wanna do this and i'm done. That first step is damn slippery..

The turbos will be much happier with less backpressure. The 535 especially is pretty restricted on the exhaust side with 2 sets of cats and 2 mufflers. When you replace the exhaust you remove alot of that (so you get more power from a weight reduction), less backpressure (happier snails) and a much nicer sounding car.
Ya, I was looking at a IC upgrade but I need to wait since my wheels will be arriving soon, got to buy some new rubber and I just ordered my Remus sport exhaust. All I know is these toys add up quick. So I finally pulled the trigger today and im running a 27/73 e85 mix in my tank. I'm not sure if it is a placebo affect but the engine seems smoother and it feels like it pulls stronger through the rpm's. I'm running the same Cobb stg 1 aggr map that I've been running for the past month.

2009 AW 535i
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Well, it's been about a month since I loaded the Cobb AccessPort Stage 1 Sport (Stock Throttle) to my bimmer (2009 535i Sport). And I must say, it's been a blast! Even my wife enjoys the extra acceleration and power.

But alas, I had to uninstall the Cobb a few minutes ago because it's time for a "check-up". Now have almost 46k miles on her, so it's due for an oil change, spark plug change and intake filter change. Also, since I'm so close to the 50k miles end of warranty (I didn't opt for and extended warranty) she'll be getting a good once-over at the dealer, along with checking things that I've identified as possible problems. (We've had 3 bimmers from this dealership in Orlando since 2005, have had the same service rep the whole time, and so far at least, have been well taken care of).

Can't wait to reload the Cobb next week though!

2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I told myself i was going to only do a cobb ap and nothing else. But I'm finding myself looking at the bms dci and a remus exhaust. I know many have argued this point with stock box w/bms dropin vs bms dci. The only thing is having to uninstall when i take it in for servicing and vice versa. That is what has me on the fence still from pullin the trigger. Damn these cars get expensive.

2009 AW 535i