Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: jetta tdi
Rear Hatch opens

I have a 2012 x5 and the rear hatch opens by its self 4 times. 2 times in my garage and 2 times in Walmart parking lot.. Does any one else have this problem? Is there a Fix
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2012, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
If the bottom tail gate is not closed all of the way the hatch will open up again. Make sure the bottom is closed well.
Chuck
Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: jetta tdi
Im sure the lower hatch is closed.This happens hours or days after I park the car. The last time it opened by itself it had been in the garage for couple days.. Wonder if thunder or ligthening would cause it to open. When it opened in the walmart parking lot, I had not opened the hatch for a couple days.. Thanks Chuck
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I'm sorry, I've got no good ideas for you... but I just kept tripping over "walmart parking lot"

Old 07-31-2012, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I'm sorry, I've got no good ideas for you... but I just kept tripping over "walmart parking lot"

Hey, hey! Why the snobbery towards wal-mart?
I shop there ocasionally. Get to see a lot of interesting people... especially around 11pm.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
I have a 2011 and it has happened to me at least 10 times. Once I was paged in the gym that a BMW hatch is open. I have written BMW USA and checked with two dealerships to see if I could disable the button on the key fob but they can't do it.

It is dangerous if you leave something of value in the truck and it opens, they should fix this problem as simple as making a two click function. If they don't fix the problem my next SUV will not be an X5 I like the truck but this puts added stress on one.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335 xi GT
I AGREE, today at W-M I parked next to a new 5 series BMW and down the row was a Maserati Quattroporte ! Here in Naples,FL the W-M parking lots look like luxury car lots. The smart people know where to spend their money.
2014 335ix GT Lux,Cold Weather,Driver Assist,Driver Plus,Premium, Technology. Gone 2013 X5 Premium,Active Cruise,HK Sound. Gone-'08 BMW 535xi Sports Wagon Space Gray,Black Nasca Leather,Cold Weather, Premium,Comfort Access ,Vented Seats,Multi-Contour Seats, PDC, Nav, Logic 7 Sound, 2002 X5, 1972 2002.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Tail Gate Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjash View Post
I have a 2012 x5 and the rear hatch opens by its self 4 times. 2 times in my garage and 2 times in Walmart parking lot.. Does any one else have this problem? Is there a Fix
This has happened to me once when the car was parked in a parking lot. My conclusion:

Do you have comfort access? If so, and the keys are in your pocket with something else in it or just bending down, you may have accidently tripped the 'open hatch' button. I am now more careful in not having anything else in the pocket that I carry the key in.

Just an idea.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
This has happened to me once when the car was parked in a parking lot. My conclusion:

Do you have comfort access? If so, and the keys are in your pocket with something else in it or just bending down, you may have accidently tripped the 'open hatch' button. I am now more careful in not having anything else in the pocket that I carry the key in.

Just an idea.
Same thing has happened to me twice with an F10 but I had nothing else in my jeans pocket. The remote has far too long a range, 50+ feet even through walls. Lucky for me both times it was viewed by me or someone who knew me. First time was in my mom's driveway and I was seated in the kitchen with my back turned. Other time I was seated in my doctor's office and just happened to be looking out the window. Had this happened in a parking lot with my back turned, who knows what might be missing.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
This should help a lot so the buttons don't get pushed in your pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2687BMWL_KeyFobM copy_2773.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	335808  
Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGr View Post
I read a review on these that if you don't have comfort access, the keyholder will prevent the key from being fully inserted into the ignition.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Bumping this. Happened twice in the garage overnight, two different nights. Key was not in anyone's pocket. Sitting in a purse and on a counter. Car is parked in garage, never locked.

First time, rear hatch just opened.

Second time- between 12M and 6AM, all 4 doors locked and rear hatch open...

Luckily car was pulled forward enough that rear tailgate did NOT hit the garage door!

Anyone find a explanation OTHER than accidental activation via fob?

Last edited by ard; 12-29-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i
Quote:
Bumping this. Happened twice in the garage overnight, two different nights. Key was not in anyone's pocket. Sitting in a purse and on a counter. Car is parked in garage, never locked.

Luckily car was pulled forward enough that rear tailgate did NOT hit the garage door!

If the car is unlocked, may be related to a condensation issue in the tailgate finger switch. Would be interesting to see how often it happens with a locked car and fob outside of range.

2012 X5 50i
Sparkling Bronze/Oyster/Bamboo, Sport, Adaptive, Premium, Cold, Sound, Boards, 3rd
2009 335i
xDrive, Blue Water, Sport, Cold, Navi, Logic7, PDC, Assist, 6MT, RE960 non-rf (Prod 10/08)
1994 325i
Red, Leather, Cold, 5MT
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:

If you want to eliminate key as a problem, just move the key further away and see if that still happen.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:

I HAVE heard of quircky electrical issues like this occurring on flood-damaged cars where the electricals were submerged and shorted out connections but never on a new car.

Take it to the dealership and let them figure it out. if they can't correct it, get them to lemon it and start over. Never heard of this on ANY other BMW...ever. This is assuming that you bought it new, right?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
I HAVE heard of quircky electrical issues like this occurring on flood-damaged cars where the electricals were submerged and shorted out connections but never on a new car.

Take it to the dealership and let them figure it out. if they can't correct it, get them to lemon it and start over. Never heard of this on ANY other BMW...ever. This is assuming that you bought it new, right?
There is a rich history of comfort access cars having opened windows and panos.... and there are what, 3, 4, 5 people in this thread that have reported this. So it has happended in multiple BMWs.

You've GOT to be pulling my chain on the 'take it to the dealer' and 'lemon', right?

You could take this to the dealer 20 times for this and your NEVER get a lemon- as long as it never happened at the dealer, there will be no "defect" in the record to file a lemon!

I was the first person to report the arrival of a 2012 diesel in Oct 2012- I can assure you it isnt a flood car
Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
There is a rich history of comfort access cars having opened windows and panos.... and there are what, 3, 4, 5 people in this thread that have reported this. So it has happended in multiple BMWs.

You've GOT to be pulling my chain on the 'take it to the dealer' and 'lemon', right?

You could take this to the dealer 20 times for this and your NEVER get a lemon- as long as it never happened at the dealer, there will be no "defect" in the record to file a lemon!

I was the first person to report the arrival of a 2012 diesel in Oct 2012- I can assure you it isnt a flood car
Ard - Thanks for the clarification but my reply (potential flood) was intended to be directed to the OP rather than you (my mistake). If the issue can be documented then it 'could' be lemoned but as you say, that may be a long road. As you have seen in this thread some of those experiencing the effects have recognized (in this thread) that it may have simply been their error (sitting on keys @ breakfast) but as you point out, it may be something else in other cases. One interesting aspect could be programmed keys in a wife's pocketbook, right? I've not had the experience in either of my comfort access enabled vehicles but it does sound like some are having an issue. Wishing you guys luck in getting this one worked out

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:

I am surprised that BMW can't pull a log on when the event occurs? At very least, it should tell them what event trigger this on the car. So far, this has never happend to me.

I thought opening windows is a programmable feature in iDrive. I wonder if you can hack it to disable?

Last edited by henrycyao; 01-08-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Just had this happen to me yesterday on a public street, which was fairly busy with foot and car traffic. Locked my vehicle as usual, which is touching the top of the door handle. The keyfob was in the same place and position all day, which is in my front pocket with the keyfob buttons not resting against any keys. Came back about 2 hours later and the rear hatch is wide open! Fortunately, nothing of value to take so nothing was taken.

I'm guessing this could possibly be an issue with the BMW center where they can unlock your vehicle remotely. Or someone else's device causing interference with the Comfort Access system.

Regardless, this is disconcerting knowing your vehicle can't even keep its openings closed as you intended them to be. Fun times.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadgix View Post
I read a review on these that if you don't have comfort access, the keyholder will prevent the key from being fully inserted into the ignition.
Not my experience. I have the BMW accessory key fob holder and it works perfectly with my 2011 E70 without comfort access. I recommend it if you don't like keychains, especially scratching your ignition area. Saves on accidental button presses too.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 428i M-Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGr View Post
That's what we have for our X5.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Last edited by BMWfanatic87; 01-06-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadgix View Post
Ours fit just fine. No issues. We insert them on long drives to charge the batteries.

2014 BMW 428i ~~ Black Sapphire Metallic ~~ Black Dakota ~ Dark Burl Walnut ~~ M Sport Package w/ 18" 441M RF ~~ Manual Transmission ~~ Premium Package ~~ Heated Front Seats ~~ Navigation w/ Touchpad ~~ Auto High Beams

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
Ours fit just fine. No issues. We insert them on long drives to charge the batteries.
If you have comfort access, what you are doing is a waste of time. Comfort Access does not have chargeable batteries and will not charge in the ignition. You have to change the batteries when they are low or when they run out.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 01-06-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
If you have comfort access, what you are doing is a waste of time. Comfort Access does not have chargeable batteries and will not charge in the ignition. You have to change the batteries when they are low or when they run out.
Than what's the purpose of the slot on comfort access equipped cars?

Previous Models:

2011 BMW Z4 30i
2009 BMW 328i E92
2005 BMW X3 2.5i

Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanatic87 View Post
Then [corrected] what's the purpose of the slot on comfort access equipped cars?
I guess the simplest solution is always the most logical. It's there in ALL the cars. I believe that technicians also have to use it for certain BMW programming functions. You can also use it to check things like status of oil change or inspection details in the iDrive rather than (used correctly) charging it...