Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: audi
Confused about Damping/Perf Control

I am looking at a M Sport. With the M Sport, do you get perf control but NO dampIng?

Therefore i would have 20/80 split in power to rear wheels, but i would NOT have the 3 position switch by the gear selector to choose sport eco or normal then?

My salesperson said even i did not choose the $1500 damping control option, i would still have the 3 position mode selector. To me he is wrong?

Also, if i dont have the selector , the car drives in normal then? And is ok for most people? Any turbo lag? Thanks for your time.
Ads by Google
Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: Boxster S; '13 X3 AW/CHT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholascanada View Post
I am looking at a M Sport. With the M Sport, do you get perf control but NO dampIng?

Therefore i would have 20/80 split in power to rear wheels, but i would NOT have the 3 position switch by the gear selector to choose sport eco or normal then?

My salesperson said even i did not choose the $1500 damping control option, i would still have the 3 position mode selector. To me he is wrong?

Also, if i dont have the selector , the car drives in normal then? And is ok for most people? Any turbo lag? Thanks for your time.
you need to get the DHP package in addition to M-sport to get damping control.

with M-sport, you DO get the switch to control eco, normal, sport, which controls drivetrain and transmission. but without DHP, it does NOT control damping.

2010 Porsche Boxster S (Mine)
Old 08-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Is this the case in the UK does anyone know for MSport?

I was going to start another thread asking that question, i.e. when I switch to sport mode I feel the steering get tighter, the gears shift faster but maybe my imagination is responsible for making me believe the suspension changes?

J
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M-sport
I have a Canadian 2013 X3 M-sport without DHP.

I have four options: EcoPro, Comfort, Sport and Sport +.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3 using ED
Now I am even more confuse. Is the damping control built-in with the Sport switch or a separate switch? My built/inventory package listing shows the DHP but no dedicated damping switch similar to my E92 M3. Do they assume that when using the damping control, you will also change the trottle and trans shift control all the time?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 AM

folks, there are tons of threads about this issue.

the switch in the console is standard on all US 2013 X-3s (eco, comfort, sport, etc.). they call it performance control. this controls steering tightness, throttle sensitivity, and transmission. Eco setting also adjusts the HVAC functions and heated seats (if optioned) to a less vigorous setting to save gas. with this standard set up OR with the optional M-sport package, the control switch does NOT control damping (i.e., adjusting the firmess or softness of the suspension).

to have the adjustable suspension, you MUST option the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) either by itself or in conjuction with M-sport, which will automatically add Dynamic Dampers. the dynamic dampers is what allows you to control the firmess of the dampers from comfort (soft) to sport or sport plus. this is all done with the same console switch that comes standard in all x3s (you will not get a separate switch to control damping). If you get DHP with DD, the I Drive settings screen will give you the option to separately adjust whether the dampers remain in comfort if you move the switch to "sport" (thus having soft dampers but sport steering, tranny and throttle) or if the dampers also tighten in conjuction with the rest when you switch to "sport".

you'll know if you have Dynamic dampers if your struts have a protruding cylinder with a connector.

Last edited by tango131; 08-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango131 View Post
fsuspension).

to have the adjustable suspension, you MUST option the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP) either by itself or in conjuction with M-sport, which will automatically add Dynamic Dampers]
You just confused me with this line.

If I get the MSport package, I get the Dynamic Dampers WITHOUT having to add DHP, correct?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 08-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3 using ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

If I get the MSport package, I get the Dynamic Dampers WITHOUT having to add DHP, correct?
All of this confusion is because of how the web site build the X3 with M-Sport package. The DHP and Sport Suspension Delete should be exclusive. The delete sports suspension was checked but the DHP was not checked.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

No, you do not. Yo must get DHP to get the dynamic dampers.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
Tango131 is correct. You must option DHP in any configuration. Get it unless your adverse to technology.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
Sorry to protract this thread, but is the above true for any country? I know in certain countries the configurations are different.

I'm in the UK and have an M Sport, and I've absolutely convinced myself that selecting sport mode alters the suspension!! Sure the driving and gear shifts are there, but I tried weaving around (!) on an open road after selecting SPORT ... maybe my imagination is over-reacting?

As an aside, I noted the picture above and took similar of the INSIDE of my wheel arch (is that the right place?). I don't see as much tech, but something looking like an input to the suspension?

Furthermore, on the console display when I select sport, it does say "Chassis and Drivetrain" as altered. Surely the chassis is the suspension (as opposed to the drivetrain being the gearing, and the steering not mentioned because you have no choice to configure)?

Any thoughts welcomed :-)

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	335656  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
Sorry to protract this thread, but is the above true for any country? I know in certain countries the configurations are different.

I'm in the UK and have an M Sport, and I've absolutely convinced myself that selecting sport mode alters the suspension!! Sure the driving and gear shifts are there, but I tried weaving around (!) on an open road after selecting SPORT ... maybe my imagination is over-reacting?

As an aside, I noted the picture above and took similar of the INSIDE of my wheel arch (is that the right place?). I don't see as much tech, but something looking like an input to the suspension?

Furthermore, on the console display when I select sport, it does say "Chassis and Drivetrain" as altered. Surely the chassis is the suspension (as opposed to the drivetrain being the gearing, and the steering not mentioned because you have no choice to configure)?

Any thoughts welcomed :-)

J
Hard to tell from that picture, but the adjusters are an obvious protrusion from the front strut/rear shock body.

You are giving BMW too much credit with the idrive settings. AFAIK, they don't have different screens for the optional equipment - and steering would certainly be considered "chassis" anyway.

I don't know about option dependencies and packages in other countries, but I'd imagine you'd know if you paid for adjustable dampers. BMW isn't giving anything away for free....
Old 08-06-2012, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
jgroarke, if you have it, the iDrive screen comes on and says that you are now in Sport mode, for example, shows a schematic of the car with the suspension highlighted and offers options to adjust settings, like said above. Also switching into Sport mode from Comfort, for example, there is a definitive downshift into the next lower gear from what you were driving in. And there is a significant difference in feel of tightness in the suspension that even a passenger can feel.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM

jgroarke, look at the picture I posted. if your dampers look like that, then you have it. if not, then not. for orientation purposes, the pic I posted shows the drivers front strut. the strut is on the left side of the pic in a vertical direction. the Dynamic Damper Control (DDC) cylinder is protruding horizontally from the strut with a wire connector. all 4 struts have this.

Last edited by tango131; 08-07-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
In the UK you get sport suspension I believe which is different than the standard suspension in NA.

Dynamic dampers/ variable damper/ dynamic comfort are all terms for the same thing which include the protrusion on the strut noted by tango131.

If BMW would standardize the equipment these cars would be a fair bit bloody cheaper.