Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,087
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Wheels torque specs?

Hi,

Before you think I'm being lazy to reseach this, I did search this forum and perused the manual but couldn't find an answer!

Can anyone tell me the torque specs for the wheels? I'd like to remove them, wash them thoroughly, apply anti brake dust coating but not sure how much to tighten them.

I have a jack/jack stands and an electronic torque wrench but do NOT want to take the "gutten tight" approach as I've heard that it could warp the rotors.

Lastly, I have the OEM 18" setup with the all-season good year tires...

Thanks all,

Alex
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
gmblack3 gmblack3 is offline
Paint polishing expert
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 702
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
If I remember right it's 105 ft-lbs, as per the receipt print out on my new wheel and tire install from Discount Tire.

For the 5 series sedan its 88 ft-lbs.
__________________
Bryan Burnworth

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,087
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Thanks, Bryan! I'm bringing the car in for a replacement of the distorted windshield, this coming Thursday. I'll ask the dealer also and post the exact specs for everyone else's reference.
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM
gmblack3 gmblack3 is offline
Paint polishing expert
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 702
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Thanks, Bryan! I'm bringing the car in for a replacement of the distorted windshield, this coming Thursday. I'll ask the dealer also and post the exact specs for everyone else's reference.
Sounds like a good plan.

After a few days allowing the windshield sealant to cure, flood the area with water to make sure no leaks.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
__________________
Bryan Burnworth

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,087
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
Sounds like a good plan.

After a few days allowing the windshield sealant to cure, flood the area with water to make sure no leaks.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
That's a great suggestion, better to find out on my terms, if there are any leaks, before the next rain storm hits!
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
gmblack3 gmblack3 is offline
Paint polishing expert
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 702
Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
That's a great suggestion, better to find out on my terms, if there are any leaks, before the next rain storm hits!
The carpets being wet in the foot wells would be a good place to check.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
__________________
Bryan Burnworth

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,087
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
The carpets being wet in the foot wells would be a good place to check.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
We have all-weather mats but I'll check just the same. Our local dealer is a certified collision repair center and "Center of Excellence" for 2 years in a row. I have no doubt that the job will be superb. Nonetheless, the "trust but verify" policy shall be fully-enforced!
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is online now
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,254
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Hi,

Before you think I'm being lazy to reseach this, I did search this forum and perused the manual but couldn't find an answer!

Can anyone tell me the torque specs for the wheels? I'd like to remove them, wash them thoroughly, apply anti brake dust coating but not sure how much to tighten them.

I have a jack/jack stands and an electronic torque wrench but do NOT want to take the "gutten tight" approach as I've heard that it could warp the rotors.

Lastly, I have the OEM 18" setup with the all-season good year tires...

Thanks all,

Alex
Based on a quick search and my past 5 bimmers, I would be using 90 lb ft.
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM
jadnashuanh jadnashuanh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Based on a quick search and my past 5 bimmers, I would be using 90 lb ft.
Factory spec on the GT is 140Nm, or 103ftlb - if you're using a torque stick, 105 is close enough. Personally, a torque wrench is better, but slower. This is a big heavy vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,087
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Factory spec on the GT is 140Nm, or 103ftlb - if you're using a torque stick, 105 is close enough. Personally, a torque wrench is better, but slower. This is a big heavy vehicle.

Correct you are. Just came back from the dealer with the receipt in hand and the correct factory spec is 103ft lb!

GT Owners, take notice!!
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms