Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 760Li
Diagnostics, coding and programming, oh MY!

I'm in week 2 of trying to figure out how to reset my battery. Not that I can't take it to my Indy for a few bucks and get it done, I want to be able to diagnose, fix codes, and some programming on my car, so I set out to get the software and cables to do it myself. I've read everything I can find here on BIMMERFEST and on the BMW coding site as well, and my only impression is this:

Lots of folks do this, but I have no clue how they were able to do it short of experimentation. There are many hundreds of posts, software versions, opinions, cable this, cable that, daten files, virtual machines, my god the list goes on forever, and that's just to install the software.

I'm a tech geek, but honestly, I've almost arrived at the conclusion that it's more trouble than it's worth.

I've set up at least three different installations of INPA, EDIABAS and NCS Expert, and while the programs will run, I have not found any information on how to use them, tho there is a good description on how they relate, and what the capabilities are, and a bunch of anecdotal instructions on specific settings or 'moves' you can do to do this or that.

Best I can tell, INPA is good to diagnose, but I can't get the two black lights to come on, the Ignition one never does, so my 'guaranteed to work with your car' cable I bought does not, apparently.

I THINK that NCS and NCS Dummy are linked, where dummy makes files you can use in NCS, but it's anybody's guess as to the details of using it.

SO, my final plea, if I've missed information here that would give me a clear path to get the software and cables working, I'd really appreciate a link. I realize this is a DIY effort, but the more I read about how to do it, the more confused I get

I'm using an old XP Pro computer, serial port, and a cable from one-stop-electrronics.

FWIW, I've read all the BMW tutorial PDFs, all the docs I can find on INPA, EDIABAS, NCS but most of it just refers to error codes that the programs throw. Nothing on how to approach actual diagnostics. There is one guide in the BMW PDF's where it shows how to click through NCS screens, tho.

Thanks for reading, and if I"m posting on a topic that's not of interest, my apologies.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
BMWcoding has some great guides to get you started. INPA has the instructions located in the folder on your hard drive where it was installed.

You are correct as there is a ton of information out there and a lot of stuff to try and get a handle on.

I think the biggest problem is making sure your cable works. There is a program that will check this for you, and you might need to load some additional drivers to get it all to work.

I went thru this two months ago and the members here will be more than happy to help out with any questions.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 760Li
EDIT:

I finally found and read how to set up not only ediabias.ini but obd.ini as well, and now I can code my car. I registered the new battery and got the 'OK' at the end of the job.

For my photo gear, I have some 16' extensions that use USB power to make a repeater, and have used one of those on my one-stop cable with success.

NOW, I'd like to dig in and get rid of the engine light (came on after tinkering with INPA), and also set an air bag light off. I also need to trace down a 1-Amp battery drain during what you might refer to 'REM' sleep on the 2007 760Li. That drain is what killed my last battery.

Any suggestions on preferred applications (ediabias, TOol32, NCSExpert etc) to get those things done?

Ed

Last edited by bluzplayer; 08-14-2012 at 02:17 PM.