Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xdrive35i 11
Getting rid of error messages (Replace the battery) how to??

i own a 2011 X3 xdrive35i, and and left the car 3 days with the door open, so the battery died.

i made a slow charge, and now everything is ok for 2 weeks from the episode.. but i get the message "REPLACE THE BATTERY"

I really believe that dont need to change the battery, because the car has only 11 months.. like new..

The dealer says to take the message just by replacing the car battery. I think they just want to cash on me. (In Brazil this is very normal)

How do I get rid this message?

I tried to enter the service menu but the options are only delete service, oil changes and brakes. Nothing related to the check control message (Replace the battery)..

Thank you!
Ads by Google
Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Sadly, the battery is likely ruined. If the computer is telling you to do this, then it has already detected the battery in a weakened state and alerting you to imminent failure (battery probably can't be charged to full capacity any longer).

However, I'm surprised the battery became completely discharged. The systems are configured to shutdown everything (including courtesy lights when the doors are left open) after about 15 minutes of no activity. Only things that are hotwired (blinkers, parking lights, ignition, etc.) would remain on at all times. Maybe something else was left on?

Regardless, lead acid batteries never like to be completely discharged--it's a death sentence. I would follow the computers recommendation as I believe it's an accurate assessment. It's not something you can reset as far as I know.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
How about remove the battery cable for a couple of minutes then reconnect the cable. You might just fool the computer.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
If you've completely drained the battery, it's already weakened as mentioned above and whatever minimal charge you gave it will not stay for long. I would replace the battery ASAP. It's an expensive mistake, but mistakes happen to everyone and hopefully you won't do it again.