Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 08-28-2012, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
New Idrive/Nav coming !!

Really unbelievable that this new Nav system is not available NOW for the 6 series. I mean the 6er is one of the BMW flagships, but according to the roll out schedule the 6er does not get it until March build. I was ready to put my order in until I saw this. Absolutely no logic to their schedule. New system should start at top of model range and work down with 1 series getting it last. So much for German logic. Don't want to wait that long but will not take a outdated system in a $85K car. Pissed off.

July 2012 Production - 3 series touring/5 series/7 series/ M5/M6
Nov 2012 - 3 series sedan
March 2013 -1 series, F12/F13/F06

* The new navigation and iDrive updates will not be coming to any E-series models (i.e. E90, E92, E89, E84, etc.)

For those curious, the list of hardware upgrades (vs. the current) include:

Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
1GB RAM (vs 512Mb)
8GB flash (vs 512Mb)
Nvidia graphics (vs Fujitsu)
200GB hard drive (vs 80Gb)

Last edited by mrjoed2; 08-28-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
It is bizarre that the new 6 didn't already come with the new navigation because it sucks for all the new owners who don't get the new nav.

The thing I noticed on the new idrive (videos in the link below) is the navigation with 3d enabled seems a bit laggy, i assume over time and revisions this issue might be resolved.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/07/13/in...gation-system/

Old 08-28-2012, 04:13 PM

Absolutely, they started installing this new Idrive system last month. So why in the world not get it in the 6er first?? And I mean the 3 series get's it before the 6 ??? This is actually bizarre. If they have lot of the old parts lying around and want to use them up - drop them in the cheaper models for god sakes. Here's some of the highlights of Idrive 4.2:

The new-generation BMW Navigation system Professional instantly makes a winning impression, boasting a new design and an optimised control concept that give its various displays an even more sophisticated, even sharper, even more attractive look. The readouts appear against a black background in a very reduced layout, and the state-of-the-art feel is further intensified by an atmospheric lighting effect. Overall, the new display concept makes the contents even clearer to read and the functions even easier to use. For the first time, the individual menus are structured entirely in virtual, three-dimensional spaces and calculation is performed in real time. Quite apart from allowing smooth scrolling and browsing, the high-performance system with a 1.3 GHz processor and dedicated 3D graphics chip features top-quality animations and dynamic transitions to make the whole operating experience an immensely enjoyable one.

The previous system's proven menu navigation has been deliberately retained for the new generation of the BMW Navigation system Professional, while new functions have been added to enhance the system's capabilities and enrich the customer experience. For instance, a new spatial dimension has been added to the way in which the menu levels are displayed: when
sub-menus are selected, they appear dynamically from the right, while the corresponding top menus fade into the background on the left, where they are still visible. In this way, the tactile feedback for the user is accompanied by a direct visual confirmation of their interaction with the vehicle, which furthermore allows them to clearly see their current position within the menu structure on the display.

Besides the new menu display, the route guidance graphics and the map views within the navigation function have also been modified and improved by the addition of various interactive options. The split-screen portion of the central information display, for example, now includes new display functions for the navigation mode. While the driver is still entering the destination by selecting the country, city and street, the chosen destination additionally appears in the map view on the split screen for easier orientation. If necessary, the driver can use a zoom function to change the section of map shown and check that the selected destination is the intended one.

High Guiding and 3D City Models.

For the purposes of actual route guidance, the familiar guiding function using arrows in the split screen has now been supplemented by a High Guiding variant, which clearly flashes up detailed navigation information in the multifunctional instrument cluster display, the central information display as well as the Head-Up Display. High Guiding is automatically activated when the vehicle comes within a certain range of the next navigation instruction: from a distance of 300 metres outside built-up areas and 150 metres in built-up areas, the reduced arrow display switches to a detailed bird's-eye perspective of the surrounding area. The driver furthermore receives precise directions for changing lane at the right time. As the driver draws closer to the event, the display gradually shifts from the bird's-eye map view to an overhead view of the traffic situation for optimum orientation and guidance. A dynamic display of the vehicle's present position calculated in real time serves as an aid that allows drivers to closely track their progress throughout the turn-off phase.

The new navigation view option "3D City Models" features a realistic depiction of surrounding streets and buildings to help drivers get their bearings, provided such a visualisation of the city in question is stored in the vehicle's database.

The extended toolbar putting extra functions at the driver's fingertips.

In navigation mode, there is now an extended toolbar that, for the first time, allows the map contents to be customised quickly and easily without having to exit from the map view. The desired change takes effect immediately, and the driver is able to effortlessly switch the view to suit the current situation and the information required. The moment the driver selects the icon for the extended toolbar with the iDrive Controller, a second toolbar appears as an extension of the original icon bar. This can then be used to open additional selection options in the same view, which were previously only accessible via Option menus. The settings here allow the user to call up Real-Time Traffic Information (RTTI) or weather information, for instance, to display POIs, or quickly switch from the overhead map view to the bird's-eye view. Depending on the data required, drivers are therefore able to activate individual features, quickly find the necessary information, and then return to their preferred map view.

Interactive map and PIE menu.

The new BMW Navigation system Professional also adds several new functions to the interactive map view. The iDrive Controller can now be simply turned to alter the map scale or tilted to move the section of map in the display, even in a diagonal direction. Another new feature of the interactive map view is the ability to call up special functions directly from the map itself. All the driver has to do is select a point on the interactive map and the PIE menu will open up in front of the map, providing quick and easy access to a wide range of actions. Depending on the information stored, the driver just has to click to show points of interest in the vicinity, view details for them (where available), start navigation to them, change the map view or display the current location or destination. And should any additional data be available for the selected location, such as a telephone number, website details or an email address, the driver can retrieve this information with a click too, then visit the homepage, for example, or write an email. The real beauty here lies in the system's straightforward, intuitive and quick operation.

RTTI Real Time Traffic Information.

The latest generation of the BMW Navigation system Professional once again employs RTTI technology for calculating routes and diversions accurately and reliably by factoring in the real-time traffic situation for both route guidance and calculation of the arrival time. By using the 3G mobile network and the vehicle's built-in SIM card, RTTI offers the benefit of faster data transmission combined with more extensive coverage. What's more, the new system extends beyond motorways and major highways to cover country roads and even a large number of urban routes as well.

The arrival of the new BMW Navigation system Professional also sees new functions being added to the BMW ConnectedDrive Mobile Office portfolio. It is now possible to have two telephones connected to the vehicle simultaneously, in which case the contact details from both are combined into a joint contact list for phone calls and emails. Calendar and contact information is imported in next to no time thanks to the high-performance hardware, meaning that both telephones are fully readied for in-vehicle use as quickly as possible.

The calendar from an integrated smartphone is now displayed in an enhanced, new-look format. Appointments are visualised in the same way as in popular email programs, while the daily view and calendar navigation have been further simplified, too.

On the multimedia front, a 20 GB hard drive makes for a far richer in-car entertainment experience. Meanwhile, the Music collection search function has been reprogrammed to allow the desired track to be located for playback even faster than before. The extended toolbar principle is once again employed for fast access to additional sub-menu options, as well as even greater simplicity and ease of operation.

New playback functions have been added for a more pleasurable entertainment experience. If the driver likes the song that's currently playing, for instance, and would like to hear more of the same, simply activating the new "More like this" function generates a new playlist containing similar tracks from the Music collection. The facility for saving favourites in the Music collection by clicking on the "Add to favourites" star icon during playback is another new feature. All favourite tracks can then be found together by going to the Playlists menu item.

Radio+: seeing what you're hearing.

For the first time, FM radio programmes are accompanied by graphics in the central information display's player screen, just like digital radio. Where
FM radio stations broadcast the necessary data (via radio text or radio text+), the artist, album and genre cover will now be visualised in the same way as they are when listening to DAB radio or using a top-of-the-range device. And even if no data is transmitted by the station, a generic genre cover and the station name will be displayed for a neat, high-quality effect.

BMW Online widgets.

Besides the online functions, widgets can be displayed in split-screen mode. These miniature versions of the BMW Online browser apps have been optimised for the split screen, and blend harmoniously into the high-quality display of the remaining contents. It is initially planned to include a clock as well as a Panoramio widget, with further widgets set to follow.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Fo1driver,

To clarify some of the features in your link are not part of this update. This includes the Idrive touch controller and hotspot features.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM

I assume this is the new idrive?

!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM

That's it, they call it idrive 4.2. Hardware and software upgrade.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Do you think that the 3 series got it first because they sell more of them? I remember reading a stat here that the 6er only made up like 1.5% of sales.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 PM

Sure they sell more 3 series & 5 series for that matter - what' the point? Samsung sell more cheap series TV's than high end,
But don't put the best cutting edge components in the entry level sets right.? The 6 series averages about $ 40k more
Than a 3 series and you think it should get obsolete hardware while the 3 gets state of the art??
Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 PM

Well look at the LCI 7 series, the full LCD dash display didn't make it into the production for NA cars but supposedly it'll be on the 7 series arriving later in the year, imagine you spend that kind of money and a few months later your car is considered "dated".

I get what dogofwar is saying and the logic behind BMW's thinking; 3 series and 5 series sell more units and in a very competitive market segment with those models you need car tech that stands out but when you're spending close to a $100,000 on a car you would imagine you would have all the toys before the lower models got them. I remember when the S Class and 7 series were the benchmark for new car tech but now it's all over the place with lower end models getting new car tech before the higher end models including the flagship car get them.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 135i Cabriolet
I'll confess, I was hoping for a different user interface on the new I-drive, I never got used to the current destination entry method and somewhat avoid using navigation for that reason (quicker just to pull up a map on the iPhone). *sigh*

Does anyone have any experience with the new Audi navi system? Using the finger-pad to draw letters intrigues me, but it somewhat reminds me of the old palm PDAs, with that awful "graffiti" method. Maybe this one works better?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 f12 was 2010 E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinboca View Post
I'll confess, I was hoping for a different user interface on the new I-drive, I never got used to the current destination entry method and somewhat avoid using navigation for that reason (quicker just to pull up a map on the iPhone). *sigh*

Does anyone have any experience with the new Audi navi system? Using the finger-pad to draw letters intrigues me, but it somewhat reminds me of the old palm PDAs, with that awful "graffiti" method. Maybe this one works better?
Since you use the iphone. Why not download the BMW Remote app and use it to send the address to the iDrive and get the benefits of the HUD, or a display you don't have squint at to read it. At the same time you get those turn by turn directions that the iPhone doesn't do so well.

2012 650i xDrive|Vermillion Red Metallic | Cinnamon Brown Nappa Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | ARS | 20" Wheels | Active Cruise Control | HUD | Night Vision | LED Lights | Heated seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Ski bag | Active front seats | Premium hi-fi system | Satellite radio | Plus more

Former ride 2010 Deep Sea Blue 650i
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Very true, but at least the LCD dash was not installed in the 3 series first !! And you said what I've been saying, anyone spending the big bucks for the top of the line 650 would EXPECT the latest features & technology before the entry level models. Also interesting came across some angry posts on the 3 series forums from guys who put orders in and have now found out about the new Idrive starting with Nov production - many are cancelling and demanding deposits back. I say good for them, why should they be waiting for a brand new car with a advertised outdated system.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Calm down son.

For 2013 I'd rather have the new engine +45hp, +30 TQ, soft closed doors, shawdowline, much better option selections that a nav upgrade.

Come on Man.
Set @ 6 w/95 Octane
Imola Red
M-Sport
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM

I'd rather have all ( except shadowline, love the chrome) And don't forget you don't get soft close doors unless you go for Exec Pkg. And this is more than a Nav update - first full overhaul of the Idrive system, both hardware & software since 2008. And yes I am ticked off, I know all too well progress marches on and changes never end, but it's the irrational way BMW handled the rollout of this to the model line.
I WILL wait and get the order in for March production.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I know I know.

You sure you can wait until June for delivery, I mean there is always the latest and greatest just around each corner.
Set @ 6 w/95 Octane
Imola Red
M-Sport
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
20" 373 Wheels
NON-RFT/Nitto 555ZR-Extreme
Full LED Lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser/Gloss Black Wrap

Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 AM

I know. I Know. But it's against my DNA to order now, receive in November, and know the IDrive will be outdated in 4 months - can't do it.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
If I were buying at this point in time, I think I would wait for the new nav. system. That being said, I did purchase my car (as opposed to leasing), and I am planning on keeping it more than 3 years. Swapping cars more often probably makes it easier to take the current tech as waiting 6 months for an option is a decent chunk of a three year leasing period. Like ShakeDaddy said, the way tech changes you can only have the latest and greatest for a short period of time before feeling obsolete - just gotta bite the bullet at some point and accept the changes (or bury your head in the sand and stay ignorant ). For me, I'd buy right after it gets the new nav. as holding out for the touch pad iDrive would be a pretty long time, and I don't think I want that in its 1st gen. Just my $0.02.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM

Southern,

Agree 100% I will be purchasing this car and keeping likely 8-10 years. It's a weekend/pleasure 2nd car. I agree leasing changes things, why worry about updates too much when your swapping out every 3 years?
But my mileage will be low on the is 650, so leasing does not make sense. And yes, not worth waiting for the touchpad, not a big deal.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Does anyone have the Google function enabled through BMW Assist? I'm interested if you can search for an address through this and have it transferred to the nav. Although, I guess if you have Google enabled, then you also likely have the concierge/OnStar-like feature where you talk to a person and they send the address to the vehicle. We have this on our Denali, and it is the single best way to navigate between unfamiliar locations. I believe BMW Assist charges $200 per year for this upgrade - which isn't too bad - but I rarely take my car out of town and thus have limited need for this service. We went looking at venues for my brother's wedding/rehearsal dinner the other weekend in the Denali, and we probably called OnStart 5 times on that one-day trip. We never had to mess around with the annoying GM touch screen - we just told the operator where we wanted to go, they sent it to the car, hit "Go," and that was it. This combined with the HUD nav. instructions = the best nav. setup I've ever seen.

Until I have a need to do this in my car, I'll continue using the iPhone app since the Google Maps Search function + Send To Vehicle is almost as easy (particularly with a little pre-planning) and works the few times I need to enter an address. Aside from nav. info entry, I really like the iDrive interface. If they can incorporate a better speech recognition function to replace the dial-each-letter feature, then it will be perfect.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 08-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 f12 was 2010 E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Does anyone have the Google function enabled through BMW Assist? I'm interested if you can search for an address through this and have it transferred to the nav. Although, I guess if you have Google enabled, then you also likely have the concierge/OnStar-like feature where you talk to a person and they send the address to the vehicle. We have this on our Denali, and it is the single best way to navigate between unfamiliar locations. I believe BMW Assist charges $200 per year for this upgrade - which isn't too bad - but I rarely take my car out of town and thus have limited need for this service. We went looking at venues for my brother's wedding/rehearsal dinner the other weekend in the Denali, and we probably called OnStart 5 times on that one-day trip. We never had to mess around with the annoying GM touch screen - we just told the operator where we wanted to go, they sent it to the car, hit "Go," and that was it. This combined with the HUD nav. instructions = the best nav. setup I've ever seen.

Until I have a need to do this in my car, I'll continue using the iPhone app since the Google Maps Search function + Send To Vehicle is almost as easy (particularly with a little pre-planning) and works the few times I need to enter an address. Aside from nav. info entry, I really like the iDrive interface. If they can incorporate a better speech recognition function to replace the dial-each-letter feature, then it will be perfect.

Sothern - Although I have never used the concierge function I do subscribe just because I want the Google search function. This is the second car I've had it on. I use it primarily as an alternative to the point of interest search in the iDrive Nav system. I just find it more up to date. When the cell phone reception is weak or slow I do use the points of interest in the Nav System since Google Search uses the built in cell phone. However, the easiest to use is actually BMW Remote if you're either out of the car or standing still, since it also uses Google Search. Either are great if you're looking for some new local shop that you have never been to. Essentially all are tools to do the same thing with similar results. The circumstances determine their use - like the use of a finish instead of a framing hammer.

2012 650i xDrive|Vermillion Red Metallic | Cinnamon Brown Nappa Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | ARS | 20" Wheels | Active Cruise Control | HUD | Night Vision | LED Lights | Heated seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Ski bag | Active front seats | Premium hi-fi system | Satellite radio | Plus more

Former ride 2010 Deep Sea Blue 650i

Last edited by pan; 08-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 AM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
So if we're driving around Europe and have a MiFi adapter with us for Internet. What's the best tool to plot a series of way points so that we drive our exact route and not the way the vehicle wants to route us?

This will be with the old iDrive in our new GC.

Will we be able to download the European google maps into the iDrive in Europe. Is it the phone or vehicles Internet connection that is used. If vehicle, it won't work because we wouldn't be signed up with any carrier for the vehicles Edge connection.

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
ED Trip Report - September 2012
Post your Neuschwanstein Castle photo here
Hawaii Vacation Rentals

Last edited by 640GC; 08-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
More important than the visual interface would be to have improved hardware. My navigation goes into "I don't know where I am" mode downtown Chicago - keeps recalculating and asks me to go in all sorts of wrong directions.... Anyone with similar experience? For what it's worth my Garmin does the same whenever tall buildings are around...

Last edited by svp66; 09-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Grand Cherokee
Apparently the new controller will have a seperate rollout schedule, has that been announced yet?

Current - 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas - British Racing Green
Still Missed - 2008 535i - Platinum Grey / Beige Nasca
Old 09-05-2012, 01:54 PM

Have not seen a rollout date for that, but did see the M6 is getting the upgraded Idrive Hardware in production now - makes no sense the other 6ers are not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
That update means nothing to me. When I bought my '09, they tried to sell me an '08 that didn't have the function keys on the console. That was a deal breaker. But this update does nothing that I would ever use or care existed. Anyway, technology is just that way. You can't stay ahead of it.

2000 328ci White/Tan
2002 330cic Orient Blue/Tan
2004 330ci Silver/Grey
2007 335i Convertible White/Tan
2009 650i Convertible White/Black
2009 M5 White/Black
2012 650i Convertible White/Cream
  • M Sport Package
  • Driver Assist Package
  • Bang and Olefson System
  • Comfort Seats
  • Contrast Stitching