Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Buying from a non-BMW dealer?Cons?

Hi All - As I am browsing through some of the listings for a used x5 35d I am seeing some vehicles that I might be interested in but are at non-BMW dealers. They have clean carfax and 2+ years of original warranty remaining on them - what other issues should I be looking out for if I want to pursue buying such a listing? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
rattmann rattmann is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 241
Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Some problems are only covered under new car warranty for the 1st owner. After that the 2nd owner will get a run around.
Does Not matter much if the dealer is NON BMW, but if you already have a protocol at a BMW dealer, that would help at times of service or fix any of the numerous problems with X5s.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:04 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann View Post
Some problems are only covered under new car warranty for the 1st owner. After that the 2nd owner will get a run around.
Does Not matter much if the dealer is NON BMW, but if you already have a protocol at a BMW dealer, that would help at times of service or fix any of the numerous problems with X5s.
I was under the impression that the remaining original warranty transfers over to the new owner but wasn't aware that some problems are only covered for the 1st owner. I would like to read up more on it, can you point me to some literature on this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 PM
335i 335i is offline
Sup3rman
Location: Kansas
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmann View Post
Some problems are only covered under new car warranty for the 1st owner. After that the 2nd owner will get a run around.
Does Not matter much if the dealer is NON BMW, but if you already have a protocol at a BMW dealer, that would help at times of service or fix any of the numerous problems with X5s.
This is not true, the new car warranty is a warranty for a length of time, not number of owners. Unless BMWNA blacklisted the warranty for something specific that was done to the car (totaled in accident, etc, or voided due to mods or unauthorized work) the warranty is no different when the car changes ownership. A pre purchase inspection is recommended, as well as pulling the service records from the dealer.
__________________
2011 ///M3 Sedan Alpine White/Bamboo Beige/Piano Black ED 9/16/2011
2011 X5d Alpine White/Cinnamon/Bamboo PCD 6/21/2010




2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 736
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Was it a lease return? If so then there is probably a reason the BMW dealer didn't want it on the lot. If it was a purchase then traded at say a Porsche or MB dealer then I would be less worried.

Just my $0.02

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 PM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Was it a lease return? If so then there is probably a reason the BMW dealer didn't want it on the lot. If it was a purchase then traded at say a Porsche or MB dealer then I would be less worried.

Just my $0.02

Jay
Yes a couple I was looking at were lease returns. Good point regarding why they wouldn't be at a BMW dealer - is it possible that the 1st owner got better trade in value at a non-BMW dealer vs a BMW dealer, hence minimizing his losses? I think one of them was listed at a GMC dealers .. hmm food for thought how the vehicle ended up there ...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,120
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
"BMW dealer" versus "non BMW dealer"...

Your query seems to be isolated to 'one establishment versus the other...

No difference per se. A dealer can CPO the car, but that is about it.

Any dealer can sell a dog. BMWdealers charge more becuase many people think it is 'safer' or 'a dealer wouldnt risk the wrath of BMWNA by pulling something'...(but we read daily about dealers behaving badly and BMWNA doing nothing)

They are all used car lots. Don't forget that...

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 PM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 736
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Factory warranty applies to the car not the owner, no worries there.

ard makes a great point though, just because its on a BMW lot doesn't make it "cherry"

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:36 PM
AutoUnion's Avatar
AutoUnion AutoUnion is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,085
Mein Auto: German
Skip the MY09 diesels OP. First year issues, plus the old, outdated iDrive.

But as always, get a PPI done

Last edited by AutoUnion; 08-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,120
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
when i've been shopping for high end cars (M5, 996TT) you get a surprising number of dealer principles/family that buy these cars and try to sell them through their own retail outlets... A turbo at a GMC dealer in CIncy... etc.

Not that any of them tell you the truth on provenance.... they will lie to manipulate you even when they might not need to... and then oif course sometimes the salesmanager lies to them.

(And agree a usedf car has a full and 'undiluted' NEW CAR WARRANTY, first or second owner is immaterial- based on time and mileage. Oh, and cannot have a salvage or total loss title.)
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.

Last edited by ard; 08-30-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,588
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Hi All - As I am browsing through some of the listings for a used x5 35d I am seeing some vehicles that I might be interested in but are at non-BMW dealers. They have clean carfax and 2+ years of original warranty remaining on them - what other issues should I be looking out for if I want to pursue buying such a listing? Thanks for your help!
I've bought several used BMW's from non-BMW dealers. Never had a problem with any of them. One, a smaller dealer, even provided a 3 month, 3K miles warranty with the car. The key is to know what you're buying. As already mentioned one of the best things to do is to obtain a PPI.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Thanks everyone for your input! What report or document I can request from a non-BMW dealer to confirm the options installed on the car? I assume they won't have access to the BMW service records, DAVIS report etc?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2012, 10:13 AM
RockChips RockChips is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Location
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
The main thing is making sure all the oil changes were done.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM
GoHawks63 GoHawks63 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
I went through this recently as we were shopping for an X5. I found a 2011 X5 Premium at a Land Rover dealer. It had 36K miles. The factory warranty still was in effect. The dealer did the full PPI and it had a clean Carfax. The only non-OEM mod was that the owner replaced the RFTs for conventional rubber. Apparently the owner lived on an unpaved road and the ride was punishing with the RFTs so they swapped them out. The only issue was that the car didn't have a spare tire, so would have had to purchase one.

The sales person had said that they thought that their sister BMW dealer, literally down the block, might be able to certify it since they did all the work necessary for certification. They just couldn't since they aren't a BMW store.

Well we called the BMW store (same owner mind you), and they said they don't certify it if they didn't take it in.

In the end the car sold while we were thinking about it. We ended up finding a nearly identical model, same color/trim options, brand new RFTs, a spare and less miles. The only difference was the wood trim was different. The first car had dark bamboo and the car we bought had dark burlwood.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,120
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks63 View Post
I went through this recently as we were shopping for an X5. I found a 2011 X5 Premium at a Land Rover dealer. It had 36K miles. The factory warranty still was in effect. The dealer did the full PPI and it had a clean Carfax. The only non-OEM mod was that the owner replaced the RFTs for conventional rubber. Apparently the owner lived on an unpaved road and the ride was punishing with the RFTs so they swapped them out. The only issue was that the car didn't have a spare tire, so would have had to purchase one.

The sales person had said that they thought that their sister BMW dealer, literally down the block, might be able to certify it since they did all the work necessary for certification. They just couldn't since they aren't a BMW store.

Well we called the BMW store (same owner mind you), and they said they don't certify it if they didn't take it in.

In the end the car sold while we were thinking about it. We ended up finding a nearly identical model, same color/trim options, brand new RFTs, a spare and less miles. The only difference was the wood trim was different. The first car had dark bamboo and the car we bought had dark burlwood.
1. The dealer did a "full" PPI!?!? You NEVER rely on a PPI by the selling dealer...plus, know that there is no common definition on what is in a PPI. Most are superficial $200 profit makers. Unless you specify what is in the PPI, you really don't know what they are doing...IMO

2. The PO lived on a dirt road? Sure. Lemme guess, from the selling salesman?

3. BMW dealers must own the car to CPO it. Anyone calls out of the blue and they will get the party line... They'd have to transfer the car to the BMW dealer-And THEN CPO it. Why go through the hassle?...and clearly they didn't need to as the car sold.

Oh, they'd have to spend $1500 for new RFTs in order to pass the CPO inspection... Another reason the car was NOT sent to the BMW store....

Just FYI

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:17 AM
GoHawks63 GoHawks63 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
1. The dealer did a "full" PPI!?!? You NEVER rely on a PPI by the selling dealer...plus, know that there is no common definition on what is in a PPI. Most are superficial $200 profit makers. Unless you specify what is in the PPI, you really don't know what they are doing...IMO

2. The PO lived on a dirt road? Sure. Lemme guess, from the selling salesman?

3. BMW dealers must own the car to CPO it. Anyone calls out of the blue and they will get the party line... They'd have to transfer the car to the BMW dealer-And THEN CPO it. Why go through the hassle?...and clearly they didn't need to as the car sold.

Oh, they'd have to spend $1500 for new RFTs in order to pass the CPO inspection... Another reason the car was NOT sent to the BMW store....

Just FYI

A
1. I was just posting what the dealer said. It never got to the point where I got the list of what was inspected because as I said the car sold.

2. That is correct. That's what the salesperson said. Allegedly the previous owner's wife drove the car and the sales lady said that the wife hated the ride so they swapped the tires. As I mentioned, the vehicle didn't have a spare. The previous owner also had a child as there were marks left in the leather by the child seat. We were in discussions with the dealer on how to get those marks out. The thing is that I can't imagine swapping out the RFTs in a car my wife drives (with a small child) and not having a spare in the car. Even though she would never change the tire herself, you want something there for when you call roadside assistance or AAA.

3. That is exactly what the BMW dealer said. They also said that they used to do that years ago, but it was too much of a hassle. As you said, the car sold, and the dealer must have sensed we had reservations as they never called us to tell tell us someone else was interested. The interesting thing though is that the car then sat on the lot for several days with a sold sign on it. They said it was a long distance sale. If so, someone may not have been told about the leather damage on the rear seat and the tire swap. They definintely weren't forthcoming about it to us. I was the one who noticed it.

For the vehicle we purchased, I was told the dealer put about $2K to certify it. Obviously $1,500 of that was in tires as you could still see the glue around the rims that they use when they mount the new tires. Also one set of brake pads were already replaced, I can't remember if they were the front or the rear.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 AM
brown370 brown370 is offline
Big Mike Brown
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 155
Send a message via AIM to brown370
Mein Auto: 07 BMW X5 4.8i
If you buying a used BMW or any high end lux vehicle. I recommend CARMAX. In June, I bought my off lease 2007 X5 4.8i (59K miles)and bought a $100K warranty through CARMAX(MAXCARE) for $2500 to 100K Miles. All I pay is $100 bucks and drop it off and no matter the cost of repair they fix it. They have BMW certified technicians on site too. The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear items such as scheduled maint( breaks, filters, oil, wipers etc.) When I went in to United BMW of Gwinnett, to register as the new owner, I was informed that my engine and transmission are warranted buy BMW until 100K miles too. You can't go wrong with CARMAX. I also bought a 2012 VW CC Lux from them last week and purchased the warranty too.

Check out the link for more info on MAXCARE. http://www.carmax.com/enus/maxcare/default.html
__________________
11 Audi A5 2.0T 8 Spd Tripotronic w Sport Pkg, 19" Anthracite Wheels
12 VW CC 2.0T [/B] stock
05 VW GTI 1.8 T 5 Spd, Coilovers, Big Brakes,

(Previous rides)
04 BMW 645 CiC Auto
97 VW Jetta Jazz 5 SPD
06 Mazda 6 Grand Sport Auto
05 BMW X5 3.0 6 SPD
05 Infiniti G35 6 SPD
04 Volvo S60 "R" 6 SPD
99 Nissan Maxima 5 SPD
91 Nissan 300ZX 5 SPD
92 Honda Prelude Si Auto
76 Fiat Spyder 124 5 SPD
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2012, 06:43 AM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Thanks everyone for your input! After looking through the used car inventory (mostly 2011s/2012s x5 35d) and the prices they wanted on them I didn't see the discount I would have liked to buy a used car. I decided to order new instead and put in the order yesterday! Very excited!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 736
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Thanks everyone for your input! After looking through the used car inventory (mostly 2011s/2012s x5 35d) and the prices they wanted on them I didn't see the discount I would have liked to buy a used car. I decided to order new instead and put in the order yesterday! Very excited!!
That sounds very familiar

You'll love it!!!!

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
neo_ny neo_ny is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: 2012 x5 35d, Toyota Camry
Thanks Jay! We are anxiously waiting for the car to be ready, can't wait to take delivery!

Any pointers on the auto insurance? This is our first BMW and I was wondering if we should be aware of anything in particular while getting auto insurance for a luxury car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
That sounds very familiar

You'll love it!!!!

Jay
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM
GoHawks63 GoHawks63 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE Michigan
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_ny View Post
Thanks Jay! We are anxiously waiting for the car to be ready, can't wait to take delivery!

Any pointers on the auto insurance? This is our first BMW and I was wondering if we should be aware of anything in particular while getting auto insurance for a luxury car?
My insurance stayed the same (actually went down a few bucks) compared to our '06 Toyota Landcruiser.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 736
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Regarding insurance, my insurance actually when down when I traded my '06 Escalade ESV for my '12 X5... not sure how but I didn't complain. It didn't go down much but I was shocked to say the least.

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:56 AM
tonka858 tonka858 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: san diego
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 340
Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
camax they offered my brother good price on his armada even after telling them.It just had 15 grand in repair done from a head on.
they said its not on the car fax so we can buy it..
scary.

should always get a paint meter run over the car..Most dealers actually have one.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-25-2012, 07:25 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,120
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka858 View Post

should always get a paint meter run over the car..Most dealers actually have one.
They use the paint meter BEFORE they take the car as a trade or buy it...but you can be sure they NEVER use it on any car they own and need to sell...Part of don't ask, don't tell
.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Lance Alot Lance Alot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Insurance went up 15 percent from my '08 X3...wasn't really expecting it either. With that said, the new car is worth alot more.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms