Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 325es
1986 325es horn stopped working

Some time ago my horn was barely making a sound...very soft tone...now it is not working at all...the fuse is fine....I do not see in manual a diagram of relays so I do not know which is horn relay...questions:

* which is horn relay?
* how do I test it?
* (silly question) but where is the horn assembly
* I recently fixed a signal switch problem with electrical contact cleaner....could this be related?

Thanks,

Lonnie
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i vert
I just got my 325i and the horn does not work either. In the process of fixing other things(Gauges) I pulled the steering wheel off and noticed the horn contact is bad. It is supposed to have a spring in it to keep contact with the horn switch.

I'm too new to know if I can list the supplier. the part online is called a horn contact. You should check it out. Pretty easy to get to but I am not sure how to replace it yet. Cost was right at $8.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
do you really need a horn?
Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Wink English as the Queen speaks her

Hooter sounds far more correct than horn
Please do not say this publicly in Africa "My horn is not working as it should"
Otherwise tribal medicine might take its toll
Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Hey csharpe3......I am not sure about there being a spring on the switch......can someone confirm....also, I have seen these horn switches online for sale as well but the horn switch that you speak of is riveted to the column assembly...so not sure how to simply remove and secure a replacement.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Mine is not making contact with the horn ring. YMMV
Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 PM

My horn is now working.

I thought the Horn contact was broke. It was not hitting the horn contact ring on the steering wheel. I little investigation found the contact button has slipped out of the holder. I popped it back in place and the horn works now.

The horns are just in front of the front wheel area. (look behind the side markers)

I find it difficult to believe that that all the horns quit at the same time and would look for a common culprit. (Horn switch etc.)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:56 PM

glad you found the problem...mine is stilll not working.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM

What have you checked so far?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM

took steering wheel off......removed the 3 horn buttons on steering wheel and cleaned all contacts related to buttons........cleaned part of steer wheel that comes into contact with column and horn switch.....disconnected wire to horn switch on steering column and cleaned all contact points/connections on both sides........cleaned metal part that depresses on horn switch.....checked horn is working by activating alarm and horn works fine...at least the low tone one is working.......horn is still not working when depressing horn buttons on steering wheel...
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 AM

That's what I started with. By any chance did you short the button from the center of the column (horn contact) to the center shaft the wheel connects to? What about to Ground? This would eliminate the button, switches, and that you have a good ground.

I don't have a manual yet to investigate the wiring but just trying to work via elimination?

You cleaned the contact button and saw the "spring action" on it I was talking about so it was not frozen. Just under the column you can disconnect that button and touch the wire to any ground and the horn should go crazy. If not you don't have power to it. Then you would need to check power to the circuit.

I found this simple diagram that might help.
http://ocw.weber.edu/automotive-tech...rocess/example
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM

button on switch has "spring action" okay...I willl next unplug wire and ground to see if horn sounds off...very good suggestions, thank you.