Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Frozen Grey

Hi all, quick question (I tried to find this question in other posts, but couldn't see it), I keep seeing "frozen grey" as a color on M5's, and can't find it on the BMWUSA build site, is it available in the States? It is a sickkkk color... V/r, Tim.

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Ads by Google
Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: M5 2013
Yes it's available . It's 5000 dollars extra, just ask the dealer and they will build it for you but they will need a down payment
Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 PM

And it takes a couple if weeks more to build
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
FYI...after a tour of the Dingolfing plant, I learned just how frozen gray is accomplished. You pay more for less as all it is is gray without clear coat. Further, if you take that car through a car wash or rub it with a dusty cloth, you very easily permanently damage the paint. Think long and hard about that one first...
Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreslim View Post
FYI...after a tour of the Dingolfing plant, I learned just how frozen gray is accomplished. You pay more for less as all it is is gray without clear coat. Further, if you take that car through a car wash or rub it with a dusty cloth, you very easily permanently damage the paint. Think long and hard about that one first...
incorrect ... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=590554&page=3
Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 AM

Thank you for your comments
But I have already gotten it in metallic silver. ... Looks
Freaking awesome.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
#PML CERTIFIED

Mein Auto: ALPINE WHITE BMW F10 M5
The colour is very nice ...
Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
If frozen means matte like you are beginning to see as a trend on Audis, you can go see it for yourself and have the tour guide who was the head of purchasing/procurement for 31 years at Dingolfing point out the the cars right in front of your very eyes in the paint shop that have skipped the clear coat. So if we are talking about the same paint scheme, I did not read it in a thread somewhere but saw it first hand during production and was told not to ever consider ordering it for the stated reasons.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White F10
Quote:
If frozen means matte like you are beginning to see as a trend on Audis, you can go see it for yourself and have the tour guide who was the head of purchasing/procurement for 31 years at Dingolfing point out the the cars right in front of your very eyes in the paint shop that have skipped the clear coat. So if we are talking about the same paint scheme, I did not read it in a thread somewhere but saw it first hand during production and was told not to ever consider ordering it for the stated reasons.

Think there's conflicting info about the "frozen" (matted) paint. If it helps... Returned from european delivery on Saturday. Took the tour of the 3-series factory in Munich. After the paint shop, they took us into a room to show hoods in the various stages of painting, including the last (clear coat).

I asked our guide this VERY question. Right or wrong, his answer was as follows:

My Question: When you see the frozen/matted paint jobs on some cars, does that mean they skip the clear coat stage, and is less protected.

His Answer: No. There is a clear coat on those cars as well, but is is different than the normal one. It does not have silica which produces the shine (i think this was the compound he mentioned), but otherwise a clear coat is applied.

Not sure who is right tho about the process/protection here.

btw: I saw quite a bit of these on the road throughout Germany.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
the tour guide who was the head of purchasing/procurement for 31 years at Dingolfing point out the the cars right in front of your very eyes in the paint shop that have skipped the clear coat.
You are contradicting yourself. Watch the video 2:00 to 3:40

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/07/09/dr...-and-cleaning/
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm0824 View Post
Think there's conflicting info about the "frozen" (matted) paint. If it helps... Returned from european delivery on Saturday. Took the tour of the 3-series factory in Munich. After the paint shop, they took us into a room to show hoods in the various stages of painting, including the last (clear coat).

I asked our guide this VERY question. Right or wrong, his answer was as follows:

My Question: When you see the frozen/matted paint jobs on some cars, does that mean they skip the clear coat stage, and is less protected.

His Answer: No. There is a clear coat on those cars as well, but is is different than the normal one. It does not have silica which produces the shine (i think this was the compound he mentioned), but otherwise a clear coat is applied.

Not sure who is right tho about the process/protection here.

btw: I saw quite a bit of these on the road throughout Germany.
It may have a clear coat element, however, it is nowhere near the level of protection that the non-matte car has. The clear coat of the non-matte cars is applied dry then baked on in a kiln, which is not the process for the matte car. I had a private tour at Digolfing, we discussed this at length. The clear coat on a non matte BMW can be measured in kg...while I prefer the matte color, I don't have the band width to immediately remove bird droppings or tree sap or road tar. If it were not so fragile, Id spring for it.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Let me say it another way. The car does not follow the normal process through the paint shop line into the clear coat kiln/oven. The matte clear coat is not baked on at Dingolfing.

They sell the paint as equally protective - maybe technically it protects the aluminum as well from oxidation and corrosion, however you'll destroy the look/finish if something is caked onto your car and you can't remove it chemically and need to rub it off.

I personally think it looks great but how are you going to go for a summer afternoon country drive and get the insects off without altering the intended color?

Last edited by filmoreslim; 11-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.