Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Popoemt's Avatar
Popoemt Popoemt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,219
Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Frozen Grey

Hi all, quick question (I tried to find this question in other posts, but couldn't see it), I keep seeing "frozen grey" as a color on M5's, and can't find it on the BMWUSA build site, is it available in the States? It is a sickkkk color... V/r, Tim.
__________________

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Kilani Kilani is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: M5 2013
Yes it's available . It's 5000 dollars extra, just ask the dealer and they will build it for you but they will need a down payment
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2012, 05:54 PM
Kilani Kilani is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: M5 2013
And it takes a couple if weeks more to build
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 AM
filmoreslim filmoreslim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 186
Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
FYI...after a tour of the Dingolfing plant, I learned just how frozen gray is accomplished. You pay more for less as all it is is gray without clear coat. Further, if you take that car through a car wash or rub it with a dusty cloth, you very easily permanently damage the paint. Think long and hard about that one first...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 AM
bm323 bm323 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: singapore
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 477
Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreslim View Post
FYI...after a tour of the Dingolfing plant, I learned just how frozen gray is accomplished. You pay more for less as all it is is gray without clear coat. Further, if you take that car through a car wash or rub it with a dusty cloth, you very easily permanently damage the paint. Think long and hard about that one first...
incorrect ... http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=590554&page=3
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 AM
Kilani Kilani is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: M5 2013
Thank you for your comments
But I have already gotten it in metallic silver. ... Looks
Freaking awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
BLACK MARKT BLACK MARKT is offline
#PML CERTIFIED
Location: LOS ANGELES
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: ALPINE WHITE BMW F10 M5
The colour is very nice ...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 AM
filmoreslim filmoreslim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 186
Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
If frozen means matte like you are beginning to see as a trend on Audis, you can go see it for yourself and have the tour guide who was the head of purchasing/procurement for 31 years at Dingolfing point out the the cars right in front of your very eyes in the paint shop that have skipped the clear coat. So if we are talking about the same paint scheme, I did not read it in a thread somewhere but saw it first hand during production and was told not to ever consider ordering it for the stated reasons.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM
ajm0824 ajm0824 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreslim View Post
If frozen means matte like you are beginning to see as a trend on Audis, you can go see it for yourself and have the tour guide who was the head of purchasing/procurement for 31 years at Dingolfing point out the the cars right in front of your very eyes in the paint shop that have skipped the clear coat. So if we are talking about the same paint scheme, I did not read it in a thread somewhere but saw it first hand during production and was told not to ever consider ordering it for the stated reasons.

Think there's conflicting info about the "frozen" (matted) paint. If it helps... Returned from european delivery on Saturday. Took the tour of the 3-series factory in Munich. After the paint shop, they took us into a room to show hoods in the various stages of painting, including the last (clear coat).


I asked our guide this VERY question. Right or wrong, his answer was as follows:


My Question: When you see the frozen/matted paint jobs on some cars, does that mean they skip the clear coat stage, and is less protected.

His Answer: No. There is a clear coat on those cars as well, but is is different than the normal one. It does not have silica which produces the shine (i think this was the compound he mentioned), but otherwise a clear coat is applied.

Not sure who is right tho about the process/protection here.

btw: I saw quite a bit of these on the road throughout Germany.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 AM
bm323 bm323 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: singapore
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 477
Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreslim View Post
the tour guide who was the head of purchasing/procurement for 31 years at Dingolfing point out the the cars right in front of your very eyes in the paint shop that have skipped the clear coat.
You are contradicting yourself. Watch the video 2:00 to 3:40

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/07/09/dr...-and-cleaning/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 AM
filmoreslim filmoreslim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 186
Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm0824 View Post
Think there's conflicting info about the "frozen" (matted) paint. If it helps... Returned from european delivery on Saturday. Took the tour of the 3-series factory in Munich. After the paint shop, they took us into a room to show hoods in the various stages of painting, including the last (clear coat).


I asked our guide this VERY question. Right or wrong, his answer was as follows:


My Question: When you see the frozen/matted paint jobs on some cars, does that mean they skip the clear coat stage, and is less protected.

His Answer: No. There is a clear coat on those cars as well, but is is different than the normal one. It does not have silica which produces the shine (i think this was the compound he mentioned), but otherwise a clear coat is applied.

Not sure who is right tho about the process/protection here.

btw: I saw quite a bit of these on the road throughout Germany.
It may have a clear coat element, however, it is nowhere near the level of protection that the non-matte car has. The clear coat of the non-matte cars is applied dry then baked on in a kiln, which is not the process for the matte car. I had a private tour at Digolfing, we discussed this at length. The clear coat on a non matte BMW can be measured in kg...while I prefer the matte color, I don't have the band width to immediately remove bird droppings or tree sap or road tar. If it were not so fragile, Id spring for it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 AM
filmoreslim filmoreslim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 186
Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
Let me say it another way. The car does not follow the normal process through the paint shop line into the clear coat kiln/oven. The matte clear coat is not baked on at Dingolfing.

They sell the paint as equally protective - maybe technically it protects the aluminum as well from oxidation and corrosion, however you'll destroy the look/finish if something is caked onto your car and you can't remove it chemically and need to rub it off.

I personally think it looks great but how are you going to go for a summer afternoon country drive and get the insects off without altering the intended color?
__________________

Last edited by filmoreslim; 11-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms