Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3 35i M Sport
iPhone 5 cradle?

Does anyone have an ETA on the iPhone 5 cradle?

I have a cradle for my 4s and I love it for MOG, Pandora, etc. I'm interested in preordering the iPhone 5 tomorrow, but I might wait until BMW offers a cradle to support it.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Boxster S
Pre-ordered a new iPhone this morning...now I wait a week and get a new toy. After much anticipation for my new x3 35 m-sport, I have only driven about 10 miles in it...the wife has hijacked it and I think it is now officially her car. As such, I haven't tried out the BMW Apps or seen where my current iPhone would sit...but with the arrival of a new phone, I am sure BMW will find a way to create a new cradle and generate more revenue from us.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonga View Post
Does anyone have an ETA on the iPhone 5 cradle?

I have a cradle for my 4s and I love it for MOG, Pandora, etc. I'm interested in preordering the iPhone 5 tomorrow, but I might wait until BMW offers a cradle to support it.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!
FWIW all those apps should still work with a normal USB cable to Lightning cable without the cradle. I know it isn't quite as convenient, but at least you won't totally lose all your music.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Bimmer Convert

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Unhappy Need a new iPhone to BMW audio dongle I guess... :mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
FWIW all those apps should still work with a normal USB cable to Lightning cable without the cradle. I know it isn't quite as convenient, but at least you won't totally lose all your music.
Good point. Unfortunately, for those of us with the older iDrives, we still have to use the dongle from BMW that splits out the Apple adapter to both a USB cable AND a stereo jack for the audio. (from the dealer loaners I've taken out this year, it seems that the dongle is still required?) Pretty silly design honestly. I don't understand why BMW couldn't have gone the extra half inch of effort and send the audio straight through the USB port like every single other auto manufacturer does. It annoys me that my crappy (old) GMC Envoy has a better iPhone implementation than my BMW 535xi does...

Thoughts? Has anyone ever gotten around this problem?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoneywc View Post
Good point. Unfortunately, for those of us with the older iDrives, we still have to use the dongle from BMW that splits out the Apple adapter to both a USB cable AND a stereo jack for the audio. (from the dealer loaners I've taken out this year, it seems that the dongle is still required?) Pretty silly design honestly. I don't understand why BMW couldn't have gone the extra half inch of effort and send the audio straight through the USB port like every single other auto manufacturer does. It annoys me that my crappy (old) GMC Envoy has a better iPhone implementation than my BMW 535xi does...

Thoughts? Has anyone ever gotten around this problem?
Yeah, I don't know why they use the analog audio in the older iDrive systems. Hopefully now that Apple stopped putting analog out on the lightning port new manufacturers and designs will be "persuaded" to use the digital connection instead.

My girlfriend's 2009 135i rocketship needs the Y cable. We've found that the $20 Y cable from Amazon works much better than the $100+ BMW cable. Go figure.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Bimmer Convert

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Thanks for the info about Amazon. Good to know there are less expensive options out there!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Expecting my new X3 around sept 25th and had ordered it with the 4S cradle...I also pre-ordered an iPhone 5 yesterday. So I think I'll ask my sales person to keep the 4S cradle and wait for the new model - if they are planning to make one. I am also hoping that it would be the same price...
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsi View Post
Pre-ordered a new iPhone this morning...now I wait a week and get a new toy. After much anticipation for my new x3 35 m-sport, I have only driven about 10 miles in it...the wife has hijacked it and I think it is now officially her car. As such, I haven't tried out the BMW Apps or seen where my current iPhone would sit...but with the arrival of a new phone, I am sure BMW will find a way to create a new cradle and generate more revenue from us.
I like how you mentioned that your wife has hijacke the car and thinks that it's hers now lol.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0d Msport
On the subject of iPhone 5 (it's the best iPhone, since the iPhone ;-), does anyone know if the upcoming release of iOS 6 will mean that the car can now do e-mails? I know there was some limited in iOS 5.1 and downwards which meant that the e-mail protocol required was not enabled. Not sure if this is now changed?

Or even, if I want it to be, but nice to have a new toy to look at :-)

John

p.s perhaps our beloved Android friends (which always makes me think, in days gone by, of Arthur Andersen consulting) could tell if the e-mail in the console screen is actually worth the hassle / wait?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroarke View Post
p.s perhaps our beloved Android friends (which always makes me think, in days gone by, of Arthur Andersen consulting) could tell if the e-mail in the console screen is actually worth the hassle / wait?
Weird that I feel this addressing me since I used to work for Andersen Consulting... lol

Anyway - I don't find as much utility in reading the e-mail in the console screen as much as reading my text messages. When text messages arrive on the best phone in the world (lol), my Samsung Galaxy S3 (and my HTC Vivid before), I get a little envelope icon on the screen and at least I can read the message on the screen without having to look at my phone.

Can't respond unfortunately (that is in the next iteration of the Connected Drive), but it's very helpful to at least know if you've gotten a text message. Yes, it picks up e-mail but that is not as big of a deal to me.

I also have an iPhone 4 that I use for BMW Apps. I also pre-ordered an iPhone 5 and I am PRAYING that the lightning adaptor will work because if not then my BMW Apps is rendered useless. Haha - I use the Web Radio A LOT and it would suck really bad if it no longer worked because I upgraded the phone. I don't have a cradle - I had the BMW Apps retrofitted. I just hope the adapter does pass through everything that is needed for BMW Apps to continue to work.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
iOS 6 does include the bluetooth update required for showing emails.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Email support over BT in IOS6 requires bluethooth MAP protocol support which will only work on the iphone4 and newer. 3Gs folks are out of luck.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:25 PM

Okay, well I've read an article yesterday that said that the lightning adapter does NOT support "iPod out" which is what is needed for it to function with the iPhone cradle. Now, I could not figure out if they meant that it would only not allow you to access your iPhone on the iDrive screen using the iPod like menus, or if it also meant to include app functionality like BMW Apps and MOG. I am thinking that it won't work for either.

This leaves me in a little bit of a quandry. I'd like to get the new iPhone but now one of my primary purposes of it may be squashed. I'm not sure what to do - if I should cancel my pre-order or keep it hoping for a solution in the future. My iPhone is my secondary phone.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
My iPhone 4 was no longer under contract and I was going to order the iPhone 5 last week but after reading about the new connector and possible issues I might have I decided to just get a new iPhone 4S. It will support all of the IOS 6 features and I don't have any issues with the connector. Hopefully by the time I replace this phone they will have all the issues with the new connector resolved.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM

Well, I guess BMW confirms that the iPod like menus plugin will not work with the iPhone 5 initially. Not sure what that means - and if that means they are working on an iDrive firmware update for it.. If so, I hope it's user loadable via the USB port. I guess they are saying they expect app compatibility will continue which would be a big plus for me. I need my Web Radio. lol

BMW's official statement about iOS 6 compatibility
During the past several months, BMW has done extensive Apps, Bluetooth, and USB / audio testing with "pre-release" versions of iOS 6 running primarily on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S devices. This testing has occurred in collaboration with Apple, and we are confident that the final production version for the devices listed above will work well with our vehicles.

The BMW Group continues to work closely with Apple on the validation of the iPhone 5 for BMW vehicles and will be able to announce relevant developments in the future. It is expected that all app compatibility will continue as will the ability to access one's song library using the BMW and MINI controls and screen. The specific feature, Plug-in, which works through BMW Apps and MINI Connected to replicate the look of the iPhone interface will not be available at launch. The full scope of compatibility between the iPhone 5 and BMW Group vehicles will be known once the validation process is completed. Since 2004 the company has established a history of finding solutions for iPod and smartphone integration where none had previously existed.

Last edited by JSY; 09-20-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM

The iPod out stuff requires a cradle to use anyway, which the iPhone 5 wouldn't fit in to begin with. Everything through the normal USB should work like before.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The iPod out stuff requires a cradle to use anyway, which the iPhone 5 wouldn't fit in to begin with. Everything through the normal USB should work like before.
True but actually since I had my retrofitted I use a cable and not a cradle so I am SOL if it doesn't work... (which now I've read somewhere that the apps would work) Ah, oh well someone will know for sure.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I am on the 'S' schedule for iPhone upgrades, which appears to be a good break. Since having a better phone that works worse with my car would be a downgrade.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
iPhone 5 cradle mod

I found my "blank" cradle insert and figured it wouldn't hurt to modify it a bit. Pretty easy to just mount the new plug into the blank then run the USB wire to the port in center console. Except for the antenna boost, this should work just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	343007  

Last edited by bfschroe; 09-24-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
I found the iPhone 5 with iOS6 is working just as the 4S was... BMW Apps, Bluetooth etc.

Have to get an extra cable though..
Old 09-27-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhockey View Post
I found the iPhone 5 with iOS6 is working just as the 4S was... BMW Apps, Bluetooth etc.

Have to get an extra cable though..
How are you getting it to connect? Do you have a lightning to 30 pin cable? I thought those were not out yet - or I'm having no luck finding any anywhere. I just received my iPhone and it's still in the box because I don't know if I want to activate immediately for fear that BMW Apps won't work as I don't have the correct cables.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
How are you getting it to connect? Do you have a lightning to 30 pin cable? I thought those were not out yet - or I'm having no luck finding any anywhere. I just received my iPhone and it's still in the box because I don't know if I want to activate immediately for fear that BMW Apps won't work as I don't have the correct cables.
Everything will work totally fine, you just need the plain Apple USB cable like the one included in the box. You don't use an adapter, just plug the USB cable into the car then into your phone.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Quote:
Everything will work totally fine, you just need the plain Apple USB cable like the one included in the box. You don't use an adapter, just plug the USB cable into the car then into your phone.
This is correct. I used the cable that came with the box initially for testing and all worked just fine. I also ordered a couple extra cables and got them only a few days later. (I saw some at Verizon yesterday so they are easer to get now)

The whole adapter thing around the iPhone has been largely overblown by the media. You really only need it if you want to adapt to a device that had the older style connector as a dock..

Love this phone and am very impressed that it just kept working.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Okay, the reason I ask is because I currently use this to connect my iPhone 4:

and it gives me access to BMW Apps as well as the iPhone plugin for the iPod menu interface on the iDrive.

So you're saying I should get rid of this cable and just plug it directly into the USB port? What about the RCA 1/8" plug? I believe that was for the audio/video because when I use the iPhone plugin for the menu interface, the music goes off when I unplug it. Also, if I am trying to play a video, the video goes out if I unplug the RCA plug.

Then I guess plugging it in directly to the USB port would mean that I get BMW Apps functionality but no longer have the iPod interface or video? Does that make sense? I'm probably able to live with that I guess.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:20 PM

I'm sorry, I wasn't descriptive enough. I had the 6NR retrofitted to my car that allowed me to use that cable in lieu of the media cradle. The port in the console was wired to also access the menu and the audio port was wired for audio/video. Sorry to confuse all. That's why I have that Y-adapter. I do think though that the USB port and plug still retain the functionality so if BMW Apps still works, then I guess it should be fine. I guess I should just rip it out and try it. LOL not like the phone is going back.