Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 09-14-2012, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i c
Thumbs up IOS 6 for iPhone and Connected drive

Maybe is already well known by most of you, but here is a link showing IOS 6 beta version allowing messages to be read through connected drive, finally.
Also, I was finally able to download/upgrade media/bluetooth update file from BMW.COM, and upgraded iTunes as well,ready for IOS 6!. Click on smiley face

2012 Eurocup: "España"

2012 650i Convertible/Alpine white/Vermilion Red Nappa Leather/Fine Line Oak Wood Trim/Drive Assistance Package/Premium Sound Package/20" Light-Alloy Wheels V-spoke (Style 356) with performance tires/Increased top speed limiter/Luxury Seating Package/BMW Apps

Previous BMWs:

2008 BMW M6 convertible/Alpine White/Indianapolis Red leather

2003 BMW Z4 3.0/Sterling Gray/Black interior

Last edited by 650iQ7; 09-14-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive

Did y'all see this? It made me lol.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 650i XDrive Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650iQ7 View Post
Maybe is already well known by most of you, but here is a link showing IOS 6 beta version allowing messages to be read through connected drive, finally.
Also, I was finally able to download/upgrade media/bluetooth update file from BMW.COM, and upgraded iTunes as well,ready for IOS 6!. Click on smiley face
finally!!!!! I was waiting for this, now I can see both messages and emails after IOS6 upgrade...

of course there are always limitations: it doesn't actually sync messages or emails, it only shows new messages and emails as they come in., they need to be unopened/unread, it's basically pulling the email and sms notification messages from the phone. You cannot reply or do anything with them, just read it or have the iDrive read it out load for you in a cryptic way or use a phone number in the message to dial.

And of course you need to jump through some hoops to make it happen
- Need the latest combox update (3.4.5)
- Turn the "Show Notifications" to on in bluetooth settings
- In notification center turn on "Show preview" and "view in lock screen" for each email account and also for messages

it works through bluetooth so it works with or without the dock or the connected driver app.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 AM

Unhappy I cannot get messages through idrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuncy View Post
finally!!!!! I was waiting for this, now I can see both messages and emails after IOS6 upgrade...

of course there are always limitations: it doesn't actually sync messages or emails, it only shows new messages and emails as they come in., they need to be unopened/unread, it's basically pulling the email and sms notification messages from the phone. You cannot reply or do anything with them, just read it or have the iDrive read it out load for you in a cryptic way or use a phone number in the message to dial.

And of course you need to jump through some hoops to make it happen
- Need the latest combox update (3.4.5)
- Turn the "Show Notifications" to on in bluetooth settings
- In notification center turn on "Show preview" and "view in lock screen" for each email account and also for messages

it works through bluetooth so it works with or without the dock or the connected driver app.
I have turned on all notifications, I did upgrade my 4S to IOS 6, I did upgrade the idrive software from BMW.com, I have turned on notifications in iPhone bluetooth for the BMW vehicle. I did not get SMS through
Is there anything else?.
Thanks

2012 650i Convertible/Alpine white/Vermilion Red Nappa Leather/Fine Line Oak Wood Trim/Drive Assistance Package/Premium Sound Package/20" Light-Alloy Wheels V-spoke (Style 356) with performance tires/Increased top speed limiter/Luxury Seating Package/BMW Apps

Previous BMWs:

Old 09-19-2012, 02:37 PM

I cannot see any SMS or email on iDrive screen, am I doing something wrong?
Upgraded to IOS 6
Thanks

Previous BMWs:

Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM

just to make sure: you are using an iphone 4S? and you have the office menu in the iDrive screen?

to read the messages you need to go to office>messages menu, where you can filter for all or e-mail, text or service messages. (if you can see the filter for email and text, but no messages, then make sure you have the right settings in iphone's notification center and wait for a new message. If you don't see email and text on the filter make sure you have turned on "show notifications" in iphone's bluetooth settings) Again only new unread messages show up simultaneously as you get the notification on the phone, not old ones.

If you are not in office menu, little message icon shows up on the right top of the screen indicating a new message.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D and 335i Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuncy View Post
just to make sure: you are using an iphone 4S? and you have the office menu in the iDrive screen?

to read the messages you need to go to office>messages menu, where you can filter for all or e-mail, text or service messages. (if you can see the filter for email and text, but no messages, then make sure you have the right settings in iphone's notification center and wait for a new message. If you don't see email and text on the filter make sure you have turned on "show notifications" in iphone's bluetooth settings) Again only new unread messages show up simultaneously as you get the notification on the phone, not old ones.

If you are not in office menu, little message icon shows up on the right top of the screen indicating a new message.
I have an Iphone 4 not a 4s. Yes I have set the notifications for email. I see them pop up on the phone when screen is off. The text messages come through but the Email Icon on the idrive always shows 0.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM

I just upgraded to IOS 6, I am able to get Test messages come through on the Idrive, but not emails. Has anyone had this issue? I have set Notification On, Alert Style: Alerts, Badge App Icon: On, Show Preview :On and View in Lock Screen On. I lock my phone and see new emails coming though the notification much like text messages, but I do not get it on the Idrive.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw23112 View Post
I just upgraded to IOS 6, I am able to get Test messages come through on the Idrive, but not emails. Has anyone had this issue? I have set Notification On, Alert Style: Alerts, Badge App Icon: On, Show Preview :On and View in Lock Screen On. I lock my phone and see new emails coming though the notification much like text messages, but I do not get it on the Idrive.
It was exactly like that on mine at first; I have couple of email accounts on my phone, it was not showing the emails, up until I turned on the notifications on all of them. Or maybe it took a while to recognize as I was playing around in notifications settings.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:12 PM

It looks like the upgrade turned off emails notifications, Bluetooth notification is new (vehicle specific)
Thank you very much will try it tomorrow

Previous BMWs:

Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Anybody know if images are available for this update? In other words, if someone calls, will their picture show up on idrive if you have one set up for them on the phone?

Also, calendar, tasks and reminders? My wife's BB does all that.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 PM

Unhappy No contact picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Anybody know if images are available for this update? In other words, if someone calls, will their picture show up on idrive if you have one set up for them on the phone?

Also, calendar, tasks and reminders? My wife's BB does all that.
I do not get the contact pic on the iDrive screen when getting a phone call with IOS 6 . With the IOS 5 I did not even get the artwork for each song through bluetooth, just when connected to the USB cable, I will check this tomorrow.

Previous BMWs:

Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 AM

Still testing, the upgrade to IOS6 also has an option to block the notifications on screen for SMS and by default is blocked. This AM SMS did not go through, will see now by allowing notification on screen. Did not get any email while driving.
I am guessing email/SMS notification on iDrive does not require the iphone to be connected through cable to the iDrive, and hope will still work while connected.

Previous BMWs:

Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Check out the thread in the F30 forum. There is some good trouble shooting going on -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=646784

On the Bimmerfest Project 328i we had good luck getting the phone to simply re-pair with the car.

Tim
Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Check out the thread in the F30 forum. There is some good trouble shooting going on -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=646784

On the Bimmerfest Project 328i we had good luck getting the phone to simply re-pair with the car.

Tim
I will try a new pairing and will follow all the recommendations from the link. Again, thank you

Previous BMWs:

Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 PM

It did work!, I repaired my iPhone and SMS notification going through, emails do not.

Previous BMWs:

Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM

upgraded my phone to 4s today and same issue, text messages work, but emails don't. Tried it on my wife's car and mine with same result.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
The general consensus seems to be that emails don't work. No one has been able to get that to work so far unfortunately.

Tim
Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 650xi Coupe
Emails officially work, I thought I had a text I went to office and boom all my mail was there.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm652 View Post
Emails officially work, I thought I had a text I went to office and boom all my mail was there.
Jimm652 did you do anything special? I have upgraded the Idrive code, IOS 6 on Iphone. I enabled notification for emails. I get Text but not emails.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM

My emails are now going through the iDrive in the same inbox as SMS. I do not know if it is by chance, but since this AM emails were not going through, while iPhone connected through Bluetooth and unplugged from the USB, I went to each email and turned off notifications and then turned them back on, also I did not have any icon (alert style) selected on the emails, I selected the central location for notifications (alerts). Now it is working.

Previous BMWs:

Last edited by 650iQ7; 09-21-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
My emails are now going through the iDrive in the same inbox as SMS. I do not know if it is by chance, but since this AM emails were not going through, while iPhone connected through Bluetooth and unplugged from the USB, I went to each email and turned off notifications and then turned back on, also I did not have any icon selected on the emails, I selected the central location for notifications. Now it is working.
When you disabled and renabled notification, was your bluetooth still connected? Also are you connected via USB or just bluetooth?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Quote:
My emails are now going through the iDrive in the same inbox as SMS. I do not know if it is by chance, but since this AM emails were not going through, while iPhone connected through Bluetooth and unplugged from the USB, I went to each email and turned off notifications and then turned them back on, also I did not have any icon (alert style) selected on the emails, I selected the central location for notifications (alerts). Now it is working.
I receive over hundred emails a day, of which 40 or so actually matter for work, etc.
It sounds like if you have to switch on notifications to Alert on your accounts, I would go bonkers receiving all these email alerts on the phone while not in the car.
Am I missing something?

The benefit of seeing emails in the car would be greatly offset by the nuisance of the notifications on the phone.

Text messages on the other hand make more sense to me.

The biggest issue I had hoped for IOS6 to resolve was to play my whole music library that I have via iTunes Match. I thought they would switch to streaming, not downloading.
So far, I can only see the empty playlists, as before (via USB).
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Smile Emails working

, Yes, the iPhone was connected through Bluetooth and was not plugged to the cable USB. Then I disabled and enabled the notification for each email, also I have selected the alert style to "alerts" prior to this, it looks like they defaulted to "none" after update to IOS 6.

Previous BMWs:

Last edited by 650iQ7; 09-21-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 09-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
It may just be a patience thing. My wife told me that it took like five times of shutting the car off for the night and then restarting for work in the morning before emails came through. Once they did though, the emails would appear on idrive flawlessly. This is on her BlackBerry but same concept.

Perhaps just some time and patience in needed.