Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
Condensation on OUTSIDE front windshield

Hi Guys, I just purchased a 2012 550i. I have noticed a lot of condensation on the front windshield, on the OUTSIDE, towards the bottom of the windshield. Any ideas??
Ads by Google
Old 09-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
check where you vents are positioned, especially center vents if they are set on "cold" (up is cold, blue box vs. red box). if you have a bunch of cold air at high blast aimed towards the windshield, you willl get condenseation and in the summer build on the exterior glass. place the vents to point inside the cabin. sync the temps to the same temp IMO, and use recirculate. blue ='s cold.

i live in a very fluctuative climate with dewpoints and humidity, and i haven't had a problem. good luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:42 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Make sure the windscreen is not cooled down excessively by the AC (I dont' think it's a vent positioning thing, rather an air distribution setting issue to the defrost vents) or simply occasionally use the wipers.

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Simple. The air outside is warmer. You probably have the defrost vent turned on and the cold air cools the windshield and the air right around the windshield is cooler and cooler air holds less moisturer hence the condensation. Hit auto on your system and your problem will be alleviated.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
Simple. The air outside is warmer. You probably have the defrost vent turned on and the cold air cools the windshield and the air right around the windshield is cooler and cooler air holds less moisturer hence the condensation. Hit auto on your system and your problem will be alleviated.
I had an MB C-Class that did this all the time in hot, humid weather. The air distribution was set up to always deliver a very small amount of air through the upper defrost vents to help with overall cabin circulation. I've had my 535i for two years though, and have never noticed this, nor ever checked for air coming through the upper vents when in normal "hot weather" auto air distribution.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: '13 550 XI and '11 335cv
Maybe obvious but make sure your dash bents are open. If closed could be routing more air to the windshield.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:33 PM

problem solved. I had the cold air coming out onto the windshield. No it is only coming out of the center vents and lower vents.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebruin View Post
problem solved. I had the cold air coming out onto the windshield. No it is only coming out of the center vents and lower vents.
Do you leave the air distribution in auto mode or do it yourself? Just curious if the auto mode was pushing air to the windshield.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 PM

I do it manually, it is possible that in auto mode it was directing some cold air to the windshield