Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528i
Better Audio without Premium Audio ?

I didn't get Premium audio and I am sorry I didn't. Is there anything I can do to upgrade my audio system ? (better speakers maybe?). any recommendations ?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Better speakers are a good start, maybe a better amp, digital proccess or a sub.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Better speakers are a good start, maybe a better amp, digital proccess or a sub.
Thanks, is there anyone who did custom audio upgrade in their F10 and can describe what they've done ?
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
I would console an aftermarket professional at a highend audio shop. Upgrading the AMP would be my first move or AMP/speakers at once. Upgrading the speakers alone will not do much of anything.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Here is a thread on a member who have upgraded his sound system:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=audio+woofer
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Here is a thread on a member who have upgraded his sound system:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=audio+woofer
That install does not apply here... that is the optional Top HiFi (Premium) sound system. OP's system is the standard HiFi.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
I didn't get Premium audio and I am sorry I didn't. Is there anything I can do to upgrade my audio system ? (better speakers maybe?). any recommendations ?
Budget for this, please.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to messiry
Mein Auto: 535i
Hello everybody, i also have 535i with the base Audio system, and looking to upgrade my speakers, may be start by adding door tweeters, then add amplifier/speakers. any advise here. you can also check eurotuner on FB.

thanks
Khaled
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Budget for this, please.
I don't have a budget yet. I am guessing around 2k$.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I never played with an F10 system before, but I would think you should be able to upgrade the existing Amp and add another amp to a 12" subwoofer for under 3K installed. I would think this will improve your sound considerably well beyond the premium sound option. To upgrade the stock speakers will probably be about 2K, but its worthless without upgrading the Amp supplying them. Maybe you will get some additional range with just speakers, but it will distort as you increase the volume if you don't match the speakers with a proper Amp.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
I would start with a JBL MS-8 Logic7 DSP/8-channel amp and your OEM speakers.

There are 7-channels in your HiFi system, front/rear/underseat woofers/center speaker. The iDrive outputs analog, low level, balanced, flat signals to the OEM amp 7-channel amp. The OEM amp can be replaced directly (PnP) with the MS-8.

The only reason of suggesting the MS-8 is because of its Logic7, a slightly better automotive implementation of the OEM Logic7 in the OEM Premium Sound option of the F10 that you mentioned. Fundamentally, the MS-8 has a slightly higher power output (480W peak, 240W RMS at 2ohms) as the OEM Premium amp, but one less channel output (40W peak x 7 [2ohms], plus 70W peak x 2 [4ohms]). However, the main difference is that the MS-8 will auto-tune your system based on the cabin acoustics of your F10. And it is quite good at that, and it sounds better than the Premium sound just because you can set it up to your own particular taste with many more possible fine adjustments than the OEM system. For example, instead of just a 7-band EQ in the Premium you will have a 31-band EQ in the MS-8. And that is if you use it, 90% of the time the auto-tune will be more than enough tuning.

If you get an MS-8 then only get it brand new with warranty, or refurbished with warranty directly from JBL. They will support their product 100% directly.

The OEM speakers are quite good if the OEM amp is replaced with aftermarket, much better if they are powered and auto-tuned by the MS-8. If you are not interested in a trunk sub then I may suggest then to replace only the underseat OEM woofers at first with a pair of Jehnerts XE-200 and a separate amp just for them (XD200/2). The XE-200 are direct replacements of the OEM woofers.

The rest of the OEM speakers can stay powered by the MS-8.

That should cost some $1100 plus labor. Leaving $900 or so for component speakers if you want to just replace the whole system up to the iDrive; no need to run new wires. The 4" mids in the F10 are of the shallow variety -40-45mm depth max- so there are no that many choices out there. There is a Jehnert 3-way BMW custom set (component set and the XE-200, all direct fit), Focal KRS/VRS will fit easily with adapters, others will require custom jobs.

This should give you some ideas.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

There are 7-channels in your HiFi system, front/rear/underseat woofers/center speaker. The iDrive outputs analog, low level, balanced, flat signals to the OEM amp 7-channel amp. The OEM amp can be replaced directly (PnP) with the MS-8.

The only reason of suggesting the MS-8 is because of its Logic7, a slightly better automotive implementation of the OEM Logic7 in the OEM Premium Sound option of the F10 that you mentioned. Fundamentally, the MS-8 has a slightly higher power output (480W peak, 240W RMS at 2ohms) as the OEM Premium amp, but one less channel output (40W peak x 7 [2ohms], plus 70W peak x 2 [4ohms]). However, the main difference is that the MS-8 will auto-tune your system based on the cabin acoustics of your F10. And it is quite good at that, and it sounds better than the Premium sound just because you can set it up to your own particular taste with many more possible fine adjustments than the OEM system. For example, instead of just a 7-band EQ in the Premium you will have a 31-band EQ in the MS-8. And that is if you use it, 90% of the time the auto-tune will be more than enough tuning.

If you get an MS-8 then only get it brand new with warranty, or refurbished with warranty directly from JBL. They will support their product 100% directly.

The OEM speakers are quite good if the OEM amp is replaced with aftermarket, much better if they are powered and auto-tuned by the MS-8. If you are not interested in a trunk sub then I may suggest then to replace only the underseat OEM woofers at first with a pair of Jehnerts XE-200 and a separate amp just for them (XD200/2). The XE-200 are direct replacements of the OEM woofers.

That should cost some $1100 plus labor. Leaving $900 or so for component speakers if you want to just replace the whole system up to the iDrive; no need to run new wires. The 4" mids in the F10 are of the shallow variety -40-45mm depth max- so there are no that many choices out there. There is a Jehnert 3-way BMW custom set (component set and the XE-200, all direct fit), Focal KRS/VRS will fit easily with adapters, others will require custom jobs.

Thanks , Technic and Lukes. I think I'll look into upgrading the amp first. where is the original amp in the F10 ? do they need to rewire or just take out the amp and replace it ?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks , Technic and Lukes. I think I'll look into upgrading the amp first. where is the original amp in the F10 ? do they need to rewire or just take out the amp and replace it ?
Please PM for a HiFi harness detais for an aftermarket amp or processor PnP replacement of the OEM amp. No OEM wires to cut, splice or tapped.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Quote:

Is the ease of installation the same for the 5-, 6-, and 7-series lines?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Is the ease of installation the same for the 5-, 6-, and 7-series lines?
As long as the OEM system in the F-Series is HiFi, yes.

Top HiFi, no.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535ix
bummer dude, premium audio rocks!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/ develops upgrades that are plug and play. Nothing yet for the F10 but they are supposed to be working on it.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
don't forget to put 2 12" subs in your trunk and a large capacitor to handle the current draw
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
So I have a question for the OP, when you say you want to upgrade what is it that you are looking to upgrade?

To be more specific...
Is the quality not very good?
Do you need more power/volume?
Are you trying to add some functionality that is not currently available?

I ask not because I know ANYTHING about sound systems, but because I want to understand the problem. Also because I am getting a F10 without the upgraded audi and am not a little concerned...

PS... I don't want any trouble Technic
Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Wow - I just realized that premium Hi-FI add 6 more speakers to the 10 already in the car and multiplies power from 140W to 600W. No I wish I had gotten this in the car i ordered.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM

I talked to a reputable (yelp) installer in my area and he had one big concern. He said that BMW are notorious for voiding warranty if something goes wrong. for example, if another component in the car will break down, they might blame it on the aftermarket audio install.

I called Long Beach BMW and the CS said that although many people do have aftermarket system, if BMW will determine that an aftermarket installation is the cause of an issue, they might not cover it.

The installer advised me to not do the install. I will get a second opinion but what do you guys think ?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:50 AM

My general experiance is they will find any excuse not to cover a warrenty item.
So if you can live with the sound, then do so.

Obviously, there are ways around this, but this requires you to be hands on in the event you need to take it in for a related warrenty issue...if so, plan your system design accordingly upfront
Old 09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
I talked to a reputable (yelp) installer in my area and he had one big concern. He said that BMW are notorious for voiding warranty if something goes wrong. for example, if another component in the car will break down, they might blame it on the aftermarket audio install.

I called Long Beach BMW and the CS said that although many people do have aftermarket system, if BMW will determine that an aftermarket installation is the cause of an issue, they might not cover it.

The installer advised me to not do the install. I will get a second opinion but what do you guys think ?
The example install posted before will replace the OEM amp directly, without cutting, tapping or splicing any OEM wires or fiber optics cables. 100% reversible.

In the worst case that you blow an OEM speaker (the MS-8 may burn first) then there will be no warranty for the speaker. If you are sleazy -not that I am calling you sleazy- then unplug the MS-8, put back the OEM amp and then claim the warranty of whatever in the audio is defective.

Do it right to begin with and you will not have to claim any audio warranty repair. And you will not have to be sleazy...
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
The example install posted before will replace the OEM amp directly, without cutting, tapping or splicing any OEM wires or fiber optics cables. 100% reversible.

In the worst case that you blow an OEM speaker (the MS-8 may burn first) then there will be no warranty for the speaker. If you are sleazy -not that I am calling you sleazy- then unplug the MS-8, put back the OEM amp and then claim the warranty of whatever in the audio is defective.

Do it right to begin with and you will not have to claim any audio warranty repair. And you will not have to be sleazy...
About 10 years ago my warranty was denied when my navigation failed (this was on a benz). I added a subwoofer and amp about a year prior to this time. Guess what they blamed was the cause? They ended up replacing my command center, but I had to fight tooth and nail for months. So I wouldnít consider a reversible system sleazy, its more so you donít get sleazed on. If you blow a speaker with a new amp, switch it back to OEM and claim warranty, yes thatís sleazy. But if your idrive goes or Nav, I would strongly recommend swapping back to OEM before you claim warranty or you will most likely get sleazed. Just my opinion and experiance.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
About 10 years ago my warranty was denied when my navigation failed (this was on a benz). I added a subwoofer and amp about a year prior to this time. Guess what they blamed was the cause? They ended up replacing my command center, but I had to fight tooth and nail for months. So I wouldnít consider a reversible system sleazy, its more so you donít get sleazed on. If you blow a speaker with a new amp, switch it back to OEM and claim warranty, yes thatís sleazy. But if your idrive goes or Nav, I would strongly recommend swapping back to OEM before you claim warranty or you will most likely get sleazed. Just my opinion and experiance.
exactly what I am worried about.