Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche 944
Can you get a 2004 without a sun roof?

Hi,

I have been reading here and there about sun roof issues and since I am about to buy my first X3, I would like to avoid them. My budget allows me for a 2004/2005, is it possible to find one without that type of roof or are they all coming with one?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2012, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: X3
I own a 2004 without a sun roof, so yes, they did make them that way. It is however a 2.5, I don't know if they made the 3.0 without sun roofs.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 328i
As I said there are issues with the sunroof caused by lack of maintenance and trying to open them with ice on the roof. I just bought an X3 3.0 with just one sunroof issue. I got a good price I dont regret buying it. There is more to a vehicle than it's sunroof. I drove the stripped down 2.5 litre 3x and found it to be not nearly as fun to drive becasue there is significantly less power. Even if you by one with a nonfuncional sunroof for a good price it's the same as having no sunroof. I paid $10,700 for mine which was about 3k less than others currently available in my market.

One problem is people dont maintain these sunroofs they need to be frequently cleaned and relubed. They are full of plastic parts that are sensitive to sun degredation when the roof is open and to a ceratin degree when closed. Plus there is a lot of dirt and dust that accumulates in the tracks; like I said the other day just look how dirty your hair get when you ride in a convertible for an hour imagine what how that effects all those light watch mechanism type parts. The road dust gets inot the tracks mixes with the old dried out lubricant and exponently increases the drag on the pullies and cables thus stressing and ultimately breaking the fragile components. With most smaller sunrooofs this isnt a problem but with the panorama roof the area is much larger and as result many more parts are exposed. Plus because of the multifunctions and hundreds of parts involved there is more potential for probelms; End of story- if you got one-keep it cleaned and oiled.

Dont use anything but BMW sunroof lube about ten bucks a tube. I am not a big proponent of proprietary lubes- I have never used BMW oil or tranny fluid but for some reason after I lubed the sunroof with off the shelf lithium grease and spray silicone lube it actaully sounded worse? So I cleaned off all the off lube with cotton and a little alcohol and relubed it with the BMW lube and it was whisper quite. The BMW is a little bit like KY jelly. I dont think it's worth harming a $4000.00 part to save $5.00
Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 BMW X3 3.0si Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongrun View Post
As I said there are issues with the sunroof caused by lack of maintenance and trying to open them with ice on the roof. I just bought an X3 3.0 with just one sunroof issue. I got a good price I dont regret buying it. There is more to a vehicle than it's sunroof. I drove the stripped down 2.5 litre 3x and found it to be not nearly as fun to drive becasue there is significantly less power. Even if you by one with a nonfuncional sunroof for a good price it's the same as having no sunroof. I paid $10,700 for mine which was about 3k less than others currently available in my market.

One problem is people dont maintain these sunroofs they need to be frequently cleaned and relubed. They are full of plastic parts that are sensitive to sun degredation when the roof is open and to a ceratin degree when closed. Plus there is a lot of dirt and dust that accumulates in the tracks; like I said the other day just look how dirty your hair get when you ride in a convertible for an hour imagine what how that effects all those light watch mechanism type parts. The road dust gets inot the tracks mixes with the old dried out lubricant and exponently increases the drag on the pullies and cables thus stressing and ultimately breaking the fragile components. With most smaller sunrooofs this isnt a problem but with the panorama roof the area is much larger and as result many more parts are exposed. Plus because of the multifunctions and hundreds of parts involved there is more potential for probelms; End of story- if you got one-keep it cleaned and oiled.

Dont use anything but BMW sunroof lube about ten bucks a tube. I am not a big proponent of proprietary lubes- I have never used BMW oil or tranny fluid but for some reason after I lubed the sunroof with off the shelf lithium grease and spray silicone lube it actaully sounded worse? So I cleaned off all the off lube with cotton and a little alcohol and relubed it with the BMW lube and it was whisper quite. The BMW is a little bit like KY jelly. I dont think it's worth harming a $4000.00 part to save $5.00
Do you know of a write up on how to clean and apply the lubricant to the sunroof. Mine is working so far (know on wood) but would like to maintain it in anyway I can so the cleaning procedure would help.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The moonroof was optional equipment in the US in 2004.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
The moonroof was optional equipment in the US in 2004.
Correct.

The moonroof also became optional again near the end of the E83 model run. I think 2009 and 2010 models could be ordered in the US without the panoramic moonroof. But most US-spec X3's still came equipped with it.

European models always had the moonroof as optional. Many were built without it.

My X3 has the moonroof deleted. I am extremely happy that I avoided this feature.