Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
So now that the F30 has been out a while..

Thoughts on f30 vs E90? I presume that many of you have been on test drives, had loaners, etc by now.

I just spent a week in an F30, do I have somerliminary opinions.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Thoughts on f30 vs E90? I presume that many of you have been on test drives, had loaners, etc by now.

Whattaya think, having driven?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Whattaya think, having driven?
I had mixed feelings. I loved the power of the turbo 4. Once BMW gets a handle on the NVH issues, I think the poweplant will be a gem.

Loved the smooth, slick AT.

Ride comfort, body control, general vehicle dynamics all true BMW. Excellent all around.

Seating is even more comfy than the excellent E90 seats.

Love the exterior styling.

Hated the numb, overly boosted EPS. It is not as horrible as what I have experienced in some recent Acura sedans but still vague.

I think the cabin has taken a huge step down in material quality. The center console is a cheap plastic and lots of exposed edges and badly aligned panels. This is easily the least impressive BMW interior I have experienced. There are also many head scratching ergonomic snafus.

The engine cutoff feature is a bad joke. A worse idea than RFTs.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
A lot nicer car with a lot more technology but lacking in the ultimate driving machine department.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
We were planning to by a new 328 but have lost the urge after seeing, driving loaners, and a little bad taste from my E60 535i and F10 535i.

My wife is big on styling and doesn't see much difference between the new and her LCI refreshed 2009 328i with the 17 in wheel option.

BTW we just replaced the runflat tires on that and it is like a new car driving so much better and more quietly.

My last two guinea pig first released 5 series cars gave me multiple HPFP failures (E60) and delayed throttle response (F10) that the dealer and BMWNA refused to address with a known software update per a documented SIB.

Now you also have to test Start / Stop as well as the new 4 cyl turbo and given BMW's reluctance, at least in my case, to address issues I'll think I'll pass on another beta product.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
We were planning to by a new 328 but have lost the urge after seeing, driving loaners, and a little bad taste from my E60 535i and F10 535i.

My wife is big on styling and doesn't see much difference between the new and her LCI refreshed 2009 328i with the 17 in wheel option.

BTW we just replaced the runflat tires on that and it is like a new car driving so much better and more quietly.

My last two guinea pig first released 5 series cars gave me multiple HPFP failures (E60) and delayed throttle response (F10) that the dealer and BMWNA refused to address with a known software update per a documented SIB.

Now you also have to test Start / Stop as well as the new 4 cyl turbo and given BMW's reluctance, at least in my case, to address issues I'll think I'll pass on another beta product.

That stop start feature is insane. It had me constantly swearing under my breath.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335 coupe
Quote:

+1 on being a beta tester for BMW..wait it out

2013 X5
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
I'm not sure they are going to eliminate the NVH sourcing from the 4 cyl. engine, at least the V part of it. [Edit: The following italicised sentence is incorrect but I'll leave it in so that readers will understand later posts: BMW opted not to use counter rotating balance shafts to dynamically balance an engine which otherwise cannot really be balanced like the in-line 6. They claim it was for weight saving reasons, but my guess is that it was really the cost they wanted to avoid.]
Look for more exotic valved motor mounts with silicone filling to reduce the vibration. At least the perceived part of the vibration.
In regard to the auto stop/start feature; it's my understanding that this is a defeatable function. A press of a button is supposed to shut it off. No?
Electronic (direct coupled electric motor dirven) power steering is the devil's tool and does not belong on any car ever hoping to be mentioned in the same sentence as "sports car". Luxo touring barge, yes. 3'er, no.

Last edited by DSXMachina; 09-21-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
I'm not sure they are going to eliminate the NVH sourcing from the 4 cyl. engine, at least the V part of it. BMW opted not to use counter rotating balance shafts to dynamically balance an engine which otherwise cannot really be balanced like the in-line 6. They claim it was for weight saving reasons, but my guess is that it was really the cost they wanted to avoid.
Look for more exotic valved motor mounts with silicone filling to reduce the vibration. At least the perceived part of the vibration.
In regard to the auto stop/start feature; it's my understanding that this is a defeatable function. A press of a button is supposed to shut it off. No?
Electronic (direct coupled electric motor dirven) power steering is the devil's tool and does not belong on any car ever hoped to be mentioned in the same sentence as "sports car". Luxo touring barge, yes. 3'er, no.
No doubt BMW is being corporately driven to keep costs down and is being forced by governments (EU, US and others) to be eco minded.

EPS is much maligned but is actually one of the "new things" that I really don't have a problem with. It's non-parasitic on the engine and contributes to better fuel economy.

Now the clutched alternator that decouples on acceleration and "brakes" when slowing puts adequate charging at risk (on a $450 battery) and leaves me wondering how much that little clutch baby is gonna cost when the warning light comes on.

My S2000 has EPS and the steering is precise.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
I'm not sure they are going to eliminate the NVH sourcing from the 4 cyl. engine, at least the V part of it. BMW opted not to use counter rotating balance shafts to dynamically balance an engine which otherwise cannot really be balanced like the in-line 6. They claim it was for weight saving reasons, but my guess is that it was really the cost they wanted to avoid.
Electronic (direct coupled electric motor dirven) power steering is the devil's tool and does not belong on any car ever hoping to be mentioned in the same sentence as "sports car". Luxo touring barge, yes. 3'er, no.

I 100% completely agree. Totally true.

And, yeah, the stop/start business can be defeated. Annoying as hell though.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Gee, what's this thread about?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
DSX, please give us a primer on counter rotating balance shafts. The N20 has a forged crankshaft with four balance weights. It also has an offfset crankshaft. BMW also says it has two counter rotating balance shafts fitted with counter weights. These are driven by the crankshaft.

This information is from a BMW technical training document posted on www.Bimmerboost.com . I Googled "BMW N20 technical".

I don't like the 4 banger. I don't exactly dislike it either. My experience with it is that it is a powerful performer. I don't like it, 'cause it is not an inline six and I think it would not have been exceedingly hard for BMW to keep an inline six in the "lower end" 3er and get the efficiency they were looking for if they had really wanted to. Just a side note - if BMW ever chooses to drop the inline six the odds are high that I will drop BMW.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Somewhat on topic:

Regarding the auto-start/stop: I absolutely cannot see the value of this with an AT transmission. For the record, we've had two european loaners both MT (a VW and a Ford SUV) which had the auto-start/stop function. The ONLY good thing about it with an MT is that you can't kill the engine with bad clutching. That said, if you are used to driving an MT, when the engine shuts off it is very disconcerting. I understand the theoretical concept, but in practice? MEH!!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
DSX, please give us a primer on counter rotating balance shafts. The N20 has a forged crankshaft with four balance weights. It also has an offfset crankshaft. BMW also says it has two counter rotating balance shafts fitted with counter weights. These are driven by the crankshaft.

This information is from a BMW technical training document posted on www.Bimmerboost.com . I Googled "BMW N20 technical".

I don't like the 4 banger. I don't exactly dislike it either. My experience with it is that it is a powerful performer. I don't like it, 'cause it is not an inline six and I think it would not have been exceedingly hard for BMW to keep an inline six in the "lower end" 3er and get the efficiency they were looking for if they had really wanted to. Just a side note - if BMW ever chooses to drop the inline six the odds are high that I will drop BMW.
Caught me asleep at the switch ttu. You are correct, the BMW four is as quoted by you; two balance shafts. I've been reading so much lately about 2-3-4 cylinder gas and diesel engines being developed to meet the new fuel efficiency mandates. I totally mixed up two engines, and to make matters worse I cannot remember which new four cylinder engine has no balance shafts. It's even possible it's a really small 4 and can easily get away without the shafts. Back to the trade mags for me.
If anyone is interested in why balance shafts are required in some engines, how they work and what they look like here's the Wiki link. They explain it better than I can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balance_shaft

As for dropping the in-line 6, and you dropping BMW, it may be inevitable. It's possible that in 10 years the only 6's will be in low volume M type performance cars so as not to upset the CAFE applecrate. Are you prepared to pay the premium?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:

That's it i'm out,lol....e90 328 looks better and the last of non-turbo's..A keeper for sure
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I've griped that BMW has lost it's way, and I feel that still holds true. BMW is using ///M as a marketing tool. Ever since they've become #1 selling premium luxury car, they've tossed everything about 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' out the window. Material used in their cars are horrible compared to the competition. Reliability is at an all time low. The next M3/M4 are also rumored to have electro-mechanical steering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I've griped that BMW has lost it's way, and I feel that still holds true. BMW is using ///M as a marketing tool. Ever since they've become #1 selling premium luxury car, they've tossed everything about 'The Ultimate Driving Machine' out the window. Material used in their cars are horrible compared to the competition. Reliability is at an all time low. The next M3/M4 are also rumored to have electro-mechanical steering.
I don't agree with you. BMW doesn't exactly have any kind of stranglehold on the number one spot and they're not under any illusion that they do. As far as materials go, the materials in the F3x are as good as those in the E9x, which are as good as those in the E46, which were substantially better than those in the E36.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
I don't agree with you. BMW doesn't exactly have any kind of stranglehold on the number one spot and they're not under any illusion that they do. As far as materials go, the materials in the F3x are as good as those in the E9x, which are as good as those in the E46, which were substantially better than those in the E36.
In this week's Automotive News ( a trade newspaper) there is an article that addresses your point. It seems that Audi has their sights on BMW, and to mix up my metaphors a little, may soon be seeing BMW in their rear view mirrors.

It's no secret that BMW is feeling heat from Audi, look at the number of comparo's which put their products head-to-head in the monthly fan mags. In the past few years Audi has kicked BMW's butt when it comes to interior and exterior styling, and has pushed BMW to the wall when it comes to performance. BMW seems to still have that edge, though it's razor thin, and the 3'er (the meat and potatos on BMW's P&L statement) is still recognized as the overall leader in its category.

But being the leader also makes you a target. What Audi most wants from BMW is the only thing which matters; to win the numbers game, because with volume usually comes gross profit. And there's not a shareholder in the world who cares more about slalom times than he does about the speed with which his equity increases. I recall that Audi has beaten BMW several months this year in sales numbers, and may soon beat BMW in annual sales.

I for one am happy BMW is getting a run for the money. Competition is good, it improves the breed. Audi's efforts will result in BMW designing and making cars which can win in the marketplace. It might take a while but I think Audi's surge is going to end up shaking up BMW a little, and make them compete at a higher level than they have been.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
In this week's Automotive News ( a trade newspaper) there is an article that addresses your point. It seems that Audi has their sights on BMW, and to mix up my metaphors a little, may soon be seeing BMW in their rear view mirrors.

It's no secret that BMW is feeling heat from Audi, look at the number of comparo's which put their products head-to-head in the monthly fan mags. In the past few years Audi has kicked BMW's butt when it comes to interior and exterior styling, and has pushed BMW to the wall when it comes to performance. BMW seems to still have that edge, though it's razor thin, and the 3'er (the meat and potatos on BMW's P&L statement) is still recognized as the overall leader in its category.

But being the leader also makes you a target. What Audi most wants from BMW is the only thing which matters; to win the numbers game, because with volume usually comes gross profit. And there's not a shareholder in the world who cares more about slalom times than he does about the speed with which his equity increases. I recall that Audi has beaten BMW several months this year in sales numbers, and may soon beat BMW in annual sales.

I for one am happy BMW is getting a run for the money. Competition is good, it improves the breed. Audi's efforts will result in BMW designing and making cars which can win in the marketplace. It might take a while but I think Audi's surge is going to end up shaking up BMW a little, and make them compete at a higher level than they have been.
Yes, but personally I think this has more to do with Audi loading up their cars with more stuff than BMW. They are buying their increased sales numbers. I guess you could say they're being the Hyundai/Kia of the high-end German makes. I dont like Audi interiors and their button happy MMI is a nightmare; they are now making it more like iDrive.

I don't know exactly how they equip their cars overseas, but I think FWD is much more acceptable in this class outside the U.S. And, of course, they've really made a name for Quattro; which is well deserved. However, I think when it comes to more "serious" performance BMW still spanks Audi. The FWD issue is exactly why BMW is capitulating with the 1er.

The current A4 FWD CVT is a COMPLETE DOG. But, I'm finding Audis with Quattro and FWD, too, are quite popular in places like my new digs, Chicago. Almost all the Bimmers I see are xDrive.

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-21-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post

Had an F30 335 loaner this week. Concur on the steering and the auto start/stop...good god, the "a-s-s" is awful. I actually stalled the car at the first red light...ha, then hit the off switch. It does kick back on whenever you re-start, but there's apparently a new software update you can request from the dealer to have it default "off". The whole "a-s-s" is a dumb idea, IMO, just something to please the EPA pricks.

Anyway, I would probably give a slight advantage to exterior styling to my E90...just do not like that straight line on the hood of the new F30. And other than the front profile, it doesn't seem to be that much different exterior wise to me b/tw the two. I prefer the layout of the interior in the F30 compared to the E90, especially in iDrive models. I guess I like the "iPad" look better than the double hump. Seats seemed close to the same, although the loaner was not sport, so softer cushioning, and hence an advantage to my E90...I like the harder seat cushioning. The new auto trans seemed much smoother than in my E90, even in "sport" mode, and ride was softer too. Again, attribute most of that to the lux vs msport diff b/tw the cars.

Overall, the new F30 is nice, but isn't enough to get me to want to trade "up" to the newer model when looking at 335 to 335.

My neighbor has the F30 328i sport and I like a lot, but damn it does sound like a diesel. Being a Honda fan, I'm partial to 4 cylinders, but that engine noise would bother the hell out of me. Love the newer electronic gizmos...and normal, "american" cup holders.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint

Last edited by chrisk03; 09-21-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
I hate it. I don't care if it saves fuel or how much. I would have the re-coding done or manually disable it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I would absolutely refuse to use it.
ASS does not save much fuel, maybe by 1mpg or so, it is for emission reduction, I think I heard on average 13% reduction in city driving.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
ASS does not save much fuel, maybe by 1mpg or so, it is for emission reduction, I think I heard on average 13% reduction in city driving.
Stats say 3-5% I believe. That's significant. Every MPG is important in in these days of efficiency and CAFE.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I'm not crazy about the iDrive screen on the F30 - not terrible but not as well integrated into the rest of the interior as I would like it to be, but other than that I don't mind the interior styling at all. I can't comment on the quality of materials or the fit and finish as I have never even sat in an F30 let alone ridden in or driven one.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Two things about the interior I didn't like, the screen looked an afterthought, the shifter was designed for someone who likes to sit there and admire, rather drive the damn thing.

I know the shifter is handed down from 5, 7 series. Still don't like it in the 3. The 3 should not be a 5, minus a few inches.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

That's ridiculous.

The F30 interior is vastly superior to the E93 and E90 interiors I'd owned prior. There's nothing cheap about it and it actually looks exciting and interesting. The E9X interior is bland as hell.

BJ
BJ, these tasteless yahoos can howl at the moon all they want. The fact of the matter is the design of the F30 interior and dashboard and the materials are first rate!

Quote:
BJ, you might want to moonlight for the studio which shoots BMW interiors for their ads. Your interior shots actually have me liking the 'look', mostly. Your naturally lit exposures are as good as they get with tens of thousands of dollars of lighting. Agreed, the fit and finish quality looks very high in your photos.
There are a few quirky things I have trouble with, or at least my eye has trouble with. The single buttress from the console up to the dash is an unusual styling element. The 'drop-off' on the right side of the dash isn't pleasing to my sense of balance. And as has been mentioned in this thread, for what you paid for the car the Nav screen looks stuck on as an afterthought. Far less expensive cars have them built into or retract into the dashboard.
None of these unusual elements would result in me not buying one if I were in the market. I'm just nitpicking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I'm not crazy about the iDrive screen on the F30 - not terrible but not as well integrated into the rest of the interior as I would like it to be, but other than that I don't mind the interior styling at all. I can't comment on the quality of materials or the fit and finish as I have never even sat in an F30 let alone ridden in or driven one.

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Two things about the interior I didn't like, the screen looked an afterthought, the shifter was designed for someone who likes to sit there and admire, rather drive the damn thing.

I know the shifter is handed down from 5, 7 series. Still don't like it in the 3. The 3 should not be a 5, minus a few inches.
The"single buttress" is a design element right out of the 5er and the new stunningly gorgeous 6er. The iDrive screen, that whole dash design language, is straight out of the 6er, one of the most outstandingly beautiful designs BMW has ever penned.

The design and location of the iDrive screen makes perfect sense and is the exact opposite of an afterthought. It is purposefully and carefully designed to be exactly where it is. It is now a feature that will be used every single time you are in the car, as is true with virtually every new car on the market today, and it is positioned so that it is perfectly in the driver's sight with a quick, easy glance. What makes no sense is a screen that deploys and retracts every time the car is turned on and off. An after thought is exactly what I think of when I see the retracting screens in the A6 and A8. It's as if when they finished the dash design they suddenly realized, "oh, we need a screen. Oh well, since we didn't design a place for one we'll just stick it here and make it open and retract"......every frikken time the car is started and turned off.

Last edited by tturedraider; 09-22-2012 at 02:40 PM.