Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: z3
Buying z3 thats been sitting need help

Looking at buying a 1998 z3 with 28k miles. Its always been garage kept and looks brand new. Problem is it has been sitting for almost 2 years. I was looking for some advice as to what to look for and what I can expect to repair? I was planning on draining oil and replacing all filters. How hard is it to drain the fuel from a z3? any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM
BE IRIE

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9L M44
Did you actually try to start it and did it start.

If it didn't, take out old fuel and put in fresh fuel.

You'll want to check/change pretty much everything (related to fuel/air/ignition) just to be on the safe side, unless PO has records of work done on the car.

Read this about a pre-purchase advise on buying a Z3.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1295727

1996 Z3 (M44)
Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoe6 View Post
Looking at buying a 1998 z3 with 28k miles. Its always been garage kept and looks brand new. Problem is it has been sitting for almost 2 years. I was looking for some advice as to what to look for and what I can expect to repair? I was planning on draining oil and replacing all filters. How hard is it to drain the fuel from a z3? any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
draining fuel is useful if it won't start

in other case, put some "fresh" on on it, then use it till the end.
Then fill the entire fuel tank with fresh fuel, and add an additive (don't know what's the best to use, I used it a lot of years ago the last time) to clear all the "stuffs" in the fuel lines.

THEN change engine filter, all the dirts would have gone on it

think oil and fluid change (that you correctly wrote you're planning to do ) is the most important thing to do
Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: z3
Thanks for your replies. Thats what I was trying to decide also is if it's okay to try and go ahead and start it with the old fuel in it or if I should drain the old out first. Sounds like both of you would think it'd be okay to see if it starts on the fuel in it and then if not proceed to drain it?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoe6 View Post
Thanks for your replies. Thats what I was trying to decide also is if it's okay to try and go ahead and start it with the old fuel in it or if I should drain the old out first. Sounds like both of you would think it'd be okay to see if it starts on the fuel in it and then if not proceed to drain it?
yes
have a gas tank, even if starts put some "fresh" on it, then when it's finished make the "cycles" I described you
Old 09-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Take a close look at the tires, If they are over 6 yrs old, you may want to replace them (especially if they look dry rotted. I would also be concerned with the belts if they have been sitting in the same position for a long time.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
For a fuel additive, I use Techron. Get it at any auto parts store. I would get the bottle for a 20 gallon and and just use it.

But you may find that 2 years is not a huge deal. Air up the tires and charge the battery, and see what happens. If the battery was left connected and not charged, it will probably need replacing soon.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 Roadster
A good fuel additive for the money is seafoam. About $9 a can at Walmart. Use it in everything I own. Is also good fuel stabilizer. Good luck and welcome.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App