Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 740il
Cool Mysterious Big Oil Leak

What's up guys, first post on here,
Just bought a '96 740il for cheap money and needed some repairs. After getting the car up and running there is now a steady oil leak when the car is running. I put it on ramps and degreased ALOT of gunk under there. I then started the car, went back under and looked for the leak. Its coming from the front drivers side near the tire. The oil is running off other parts steadily onto the driveway, making it hard to locate the exact location. Any ideas as to where it could be?

Other Info:
- oil filter housing is fine, but I think the leak may be in the hose(s) off there
*any info on those hoses is awesome
- not leaking from oil pan
- not leaking from vcg's
* just replaced them
- no coolant on ground, but seems to piss through it

Any help or thoughts is awesome!
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Moved to e38 section

Old 09-24-2012, 02:41 PM

Yea I put it in the wrong section by accident
Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Two things - are you sure it's oil that is leaking? I'm asking because power steering hoses are a known leak source in our cars, especiallly near the driver's side front wheel.

Second, if you're loosing coolant, but you don't see any leaking, it could be the valley pan gasket. If you take off the engine acoustic cover & look in the valley in the back corner on the passenger side, can you see any evidence of dried up coolant, or is it damp/wet next to the valley pan? I have to kinda lean over the passenger side front fender and wait until it's dark & use a flashlight for me to see in that tight space.

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
power steering hoses are a known leak source in our cars
If it's the power steering hoses, a quick /power steering F3 in the E39 bestlinks nets these links which should apply to the E38 as well:
- How to clean the power steering fluid reservoir internal filter (1) & how to replace the cap o-ring (1) (2) & why you want to fix the power steering hose drip onto the alternator (1) (2) (3) & how to debug PSP power steering pump noises (1) (2) (3) or steering rack noises (1) & a nice power steering pump autopsy photo (1) & how to flush cloudy ATF fluid (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what PS fluid to use (1) (2-pdf) (3-volume) & what volume is needed to buy (1) & DIYs to replace the power steering hoses (1) (2) (3) (4) (5).
Quote:
it could be the valley pan gasket.
If it is the valley pan gasket (and it will eventually happen to all the E38 & E39 V8s), then a quick /valley pan F3 in the E39 bestlinks nets the following which should be helpful to the OP:
- BMW E38/E39 V8 M62 engine valley pan gasket coolant leak DIY (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & what parts to order in a valley pan gasket kit (1) (2) & what is the purpose of the valley pan anyway (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Sorry I have not been home in a while. Thanks for the input I'll check it out now and get back to you guys.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Two things - are you sure it's oil that is leaking? I'm asking because power steering hoses are a known leak source in our cars
yea it's definetly not the power steering hoses those look fine

if it was a valley pan issue though, would it have a steady stream of oil leaking from it?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey92 View Post
yea it's definetly not the power steering hoses those look fine

if it was a valley pan issue though, would it have a steady stream of oil leaking from it?
My valley pan did have oil in it when I replaced the VP gasket. But, it wasn't anywhere near what I'd call a steady stream. More like a minor oozing.

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.