Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-26-2012, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 07 530i Silver/Blk Sport
windshield washer fluid pump question...

I recently discovered that my windshield washer fluid pump was leaking. I pulled back to the fender lining and got to the pump to remove it. I took a look at the pump and saw that it was leaking from the bottom. if you look at the picture, you'll see a rectangular opening. That is where the fluid was leaking from.

Here's my question: Is this some sort of vent, or can I fill it with silicone to stop the leak? (2007 530i)
I'm ready to glue it, so quick responses are appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-26_18-59-24_767.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	343394   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-26_19-02-16_994.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	343395   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-26_19-01-09_407.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	343396  
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahngoo View Post
I recently discovered that my windshield washer fluid pump was leaking. I pulled back to the fender lining and got to the pump to remove it. I took a look at the pump and saw that it was leaking from the bottom. if you look at the picture, you'll see a rectangular opening. That is where the fluid was leaking from.

Here's my question: Is this some sort of vent, or can I fill it with silicone to stop the leak? (2007 530i)
I'm ready to glue it, so quick responses are appreciated!!!
Thats not going to stop the leak. Do a search for a new pump, there cheap enough . I got a OEM pump through amazon $10.95 shipping included
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535
Nothing better than logging on to ask a question and seeing that someone else has the same issue and a solution has already been posted. Love this forum!!!

Anyone got a pics or a DIY on how to get to the pump?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocyourworld View Post
Nothing better than logging on to ask a question and seeing that someone else has the same issue and a solution has already been posted. Love this forum!!!

Anyone got a pics or a DIY on how to get to the pump?
It's pretty simple. Take off the front driver-side wheel. Then unscrew the wheel-well lining. You don't have to take the liner off, just pull it to the side. You'll see the white washer fluid reservoir. The pump is at the bottom. Pull it up and out. It just sits in a grommet. You're done.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahngoo View Post
It's pretty simple. Take off the front driver-side wheel. Then unscrew the wheel-well lining. You don't have to take the liner off, just pull it to the side. You'll see the white washer fluid reservoir. The pump is at the bottom. Pull it up and out. It just sits in a grommet. You're done.
This info proved to be invaluable.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Many
Here is a link to the washer pumps that we carry if you would like to check them out. http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...ge/31/2007/378
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm glad a new one is cheap. This is probably the cheapest repair I've seen with this car!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Update: I glued the pump with marine tec epoxy. No leaks. No problems. The plastic housing on the pump cracked along the seam causing it to leak, but the glue took care of that. :-)

Last edited by Gahngoo; 10-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: WTB 528i
I just did the same on my car last saturday. I was very concerned when I found a puddle of red liquid under my car - until I realized it was washer fluid. I the did research and found many different models have the exact same pump, and tons of the original pumps leak.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i; 2005 545i
I have the same issue. I actually purchased new pumps twice. The first new one, after I installed, would not pump washer fluid so I returned it. I purchase another and installed it, and again, no fluid delivered to the windshield. I re-installed the old leaking pump.

Does anyone know if the new pump needs to be primed first? I have a 05 545 and I don't understand why either new pump works. I went to two different providers for the pumps and both website provide the same pump part number.

anyone else experience this issue?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlakeoh1 View Post
I have the same issue. I actually purchased new pumps twice. The first new one, after I installed, would not pump washer fluid so I returned it. I purchase another and installed it, and again, no fluid delivered to the windshield. I re-installed the old leaking pump.

Does anyone know if the new pump needs to be primed first? I have a 05 545 and I don't understand why either new pump works. I went to two different providers for the pumps and both website provide the same pump part number.

anyone else experience this issue?
We don't need to prime the washer fluid pump.

Other than the leak, the old pump is working fine? Water is coming out of the jets with the old pump?

There is a strainer/filter and the grommet fits over the inlet of the pump and that grommet assembly sits in the opening of the tank. Are you sure you are installing correctly?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i; 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
We don't need to prime the washer fluid pump.

Other than the leak, the old pump is working fine? Water is coming out of the jets with the old pump?

There is a strainer/filter and the grommet fits over the inlet of the pump and that grommet assembly sits in the opening of the tank. Are you sure you are installing correctly?
Yes, the old pump pushes water out of the jets just fine. The problem is when I installed both new pumps - exactly the way the old pump was, grommet included
- and nothing comes out of the jets. Both new and old motors are identical in appearance. I just lived through this winter with the old motor that leaks a gallon of wiper fluid in a couple days.

When i warms, I'll put the last new motor I purchased and see if there are still leaks, maybe the tank is leaking. the weather has just been too bad to do this yet.