Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: Camry
Question Thinking of making a purchase

Hello all! This seems to be a great forum. I have done a quick search and gathered some good information but still had a few questions.

I am a delivery driver and my boss is getting ready to sell his 98-99 740il BMW. It is a beautiful car and I would really consider buying it if I know what to look for and the average cost of maintaining. I wont be using it to deliver anything but as my second car to drive around town/highway trips. He owns roughly 5 cars (range rover, toyota supra, F150, etc)

He keeps all of his cars in impeccable cosmetic shape but I was really wondering about mechanical issues. He said he has replaced the radiator, water pump, brakes, gaskets, and a few other things. I was wondering are there major problems that I will be running into that will end up costing me in the long run? The vehicle has roughly 130,000 miles on it and I believe he wants $7,000 for it. I think I can talk him down to $6,000 or so.

I just don't want to buy it for $6,000 and run into a common problem that will cost me a few thousand dollars. I know that BMW's are reliable machines and a blast to drive but I suppose maybe I am reaching a little here by trying to get a deal and might end up paying in the end? Any help is appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 09-28-2012, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 e38 740i
Re..

Try to obtain all the service records if he has them...Drive the car..and also try to have someone else that specializes in these babies drive it. Above all these cars are amazing again if they're well taken care of. Good luck bro!