Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Z4 Headlamp Housing

I am looking to replace the weathered headlamp housings on my 03 Z4 3.0i. I see many options available for the halogen lights but not for the xenon lights. Just wondering if I am overlooking something or if someone is aware of a source for replacement aftermarket headlamp housing for the xenon lights. Lights work fine, so I do not need ballasts, bulbs, etc.
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4
If by "weathered" you mean cloudy or foggy, you might consider a repair or restoration rather than replacement. Lots of threads on here and other forums on this topic. Do a search. 3-M makes a kit which I used and had very good results. Basically, you are just removing the cloud or fog which is just on the surface to get back to a clear lens.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
I have not had good experiences with the headlamp kits. Most I have done or seen have returned to their previous state in about 6 months or so. Just my personal experience. I also have some light webbing in the plastic in the right light. I don't want to replace one without doing both.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
The 'housings' are not replaceable in and of themselves. You need a new headlight. This can and will be an expensive process. There are several avenues you can go down. Aftermarket or OEM.
A new OEM xenon assembly, without the xenon parts is $950.00. With the xenon parts it is $1275.00. Aftermarket halogens are somewhere around $400.00 each.

IMHO, I would try to recondition your lenses first. If done properly, your headlights will look like new.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams