Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes 300SD
Winter Driving???

Hello All,
I am considering a Z model as my daily driver to replace my trusty 318ti. The only thing that concerns me about the car is its ability in winter weather. I live in Northern Colorado were snow is not a common occurrence, but it does snow and sometimes heavy. Can cars equipped with snow tires be driven with some confidence or am I fooling myself to think that this car is able to handle the occasional snow storm? Thanks in advance for your comments.
Lee
Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 si
Hi Doglegg.
Im just outside of Toronto Canada and I went with a Tire Rack set of 17 inch Moda 14's and Michelin Snow Tires.

Last winter we got like no snow to speak of and I admit that I was reluctant to de-garage the Z4 cause it was so clean and salt free.
They use lots of salt on the roads up here and that is a real concern with a well loved car.
So I can't truthfully comment on the winter performance, but Rudy at Tire Rack said I shouldn't notice any difference from a regular car.
Im thinking that in really deep snow the Zed's low ride height would be an obvious drawback.

If you want the best snow tires, you should serious consider Nokian's.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
This will be the 3rd snow season as a daily driver in Colorado Springs with no problem. First season we had some well worn Blizzacks that did well and the second we used some Fuzion ZRi's and had them sipped. They worked great.

BK85
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
Italy, Z3 as daily driver. Last year we had on of the heaviest snows in 50 years...and with winter tyres, had no problem.

indeed..my Z was my family's only auto equipded with snow tyres, and for at least a month was the only car to go on street for me and my relatives
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 AM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0i
I purchased a set of Blizzak's with rims (pictured here) from the Tire Rack when I purchased the car 3 years ago and the car is just fine in snow, the only problem is they don't wear so well and I need to replace them this year I think I will try another brand but will probably still go with run-flats.

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
Don't know about northern CO, but here in SW Idaho we can get snow depths that high center the car. Of course I'm in an ///M so it is a bit lower than perhaps typical, but I would wonder about those times of 'heavy snow'.....especially if you don't have an alternative with some clearance...
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Clearance is usually the limiting factor not the traction. I drove my Z4 here in NJ two bad winters before I got a Jeep. Snow tires helped greatly but the car still slides around and gets stuck on steep hills. My suggestion is have a back up plan for days with heavy snow and be extra careful going around corners, etc.