Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Mazda 3S 2006 X3
Possible 06 X3 Purchase

My wife and I have been looking around for a SUV with a 6 speed manual plus sunroof. I just found a 2006 X3 manual with 66k on it for a decent price (17k).

We plan to go look at it this Saturday if it's still at the dealership (not a BMW dealer). I searched on the forum and have a few questions.

To try and avoid the sun roof problem what should I look for? How can I tell if the tracks have already been replaced.

When test driving it, is there anything specific we should really pay attention to, things that unless your looking for might not be noticed right away?

I've read suggestions to take the VIN to a local BMW dealer ship and ask them to run the service history on it. Has anyone done this? Are the dealerships cool with doing that sort of thing?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 883sportster View Post
My wife and I have been looking around for a SUV with a 6 speed manual plus sunroof. I just found a 2006 X3 manual with 66k on it for a decent price (17k).

We plan to go look at it this Saturday if it's still at the dealership (not a BMW dealer). I searched on the forum and have a few questions.

To try and avoid the sun roof problem what should I look for? How can I tell if the tracks have already been replaced.

When test driving it, is there anything specific we should really pay attention to, things that unless your looking for might not be noticed right away?

I've read suggestions to take the VIN to a local BMW dealer ship and ask them to run the service history on it. Has anyone done this? Are the dealerships cool with doing that sort of thing?

--- Not really sure of a way to tell the sunroof is broken other than opening it and listening for noises that should not be there and visually watch to make sure the sun shade and glass move as expected. Usually, if a repair is performed at a dealership, they replace the entire sunroof cassette rather than only the tracks.
-- I believe one of this year's BMW CCA Roundel issues has a DIY to lubricate the sunroof tracks.

-- Pay attention to the ride. X3s tend to have a stiffer ride than other SUVs and cars.

-- These are not big problems, at least usually not very costly in BMW terms and they all can be repaired by a DIYer. They are wear items that tend to show up on some X3s. These should not be considered deal breakers, but more of a negotiation point if you happen to see one of these issues.
You can search this forum for more detailed information on them
1. Check power window function - drive dogs are plastic and tend to break
2. Check the valve cover for oil leaks. The gasket tends to get brittle and break.
3. Check for water leaks around the coolant expansion tank. The tank is plastic it can crack.
4. Check the rear springs. Does the rear of the car sit even or is one side higher than the other? Sometimes the "pigtail" at the bottom of the coil spring breaks off.
5. Check for wet carpets. Could be a door vapor barrior needs to be re-sealed.

-- I have not tried this my self, but in some recent posts on the F10 5-series forum it seems dealerships are not as willing to do this due to privacy issues. It seems as though the original owner's infomation is associated with any of the work performed and that cannot be divulged.

-- Good luck on your test drive. X3s are a great driving SUV.

BMW CCA #422951

Last edited by al_macaroni; 10-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Just traded my 08 my with 65k miles in mint condition. Bummer
I couldn't get any qualified bites until the day i was picking up new car. Seems everyone wants an mt after I get rid of it. 16k is too much btw. More like 14-15k.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-04-2012, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The shops (dealers) around here do not seem adverse to running the VIN for you, but don't expect to get a print out. What they will do is tell you what has been done to the car both repair and maintentance wise at a BMW dealership. This is valuable info and they are usually pretty forthcoming as the shop wants you as a customer. Most service centers run "specials" from time to time that are pretty decent values, such as an oil change for $79, etc. Hard to beat that at an indy. Getting a potential new customer on their mailing list for this sort of thing is why the service advisors are usually pretty helpful. I have an '06 bought new that now has 86K miles on it. After 50K miles (and the end of the warranty) things started to go south. I had to replace both front struts, a fuel return valve, MAS, and now have small leaks in the rear end, valve cover, and the air conditioner is not putting out enough cold air. This is in addition to the usual new brakes, and upcoming tires it will require. I am holding off as long as possible until the new Q5 diesel shows up early next year. The car is a horrible riding beast over rough roads, so be sure you take a long test drive with your wife over some nasty pavement bits. It can jerk the latte out of your pax side cupholder if you hit the right pot hole! Good luck!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm compiling a list of stuff to check for and plan on swinging by the local dealership just to see if they can give me any kind of update to the work that has been done to the car.

While not my day job I've always worked on my own cars so I plan on doing most of the work myself. Should I expect to be buying special BMW tools? If we buy an X3 it's going to be for the long hall (6+ years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Just traded my 08 my with 65k miles in mint condition. Bummer
I couldn't get any qualified bites until the day i was picking up new car. Seems everyone wants an mt after I get rid of it. 16k is too much btw. More like 14-15k.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
I know I shouldn't ask because I know with my luck you did but... did you have chestnut brown leather seats? I saw a new X3 (out of my price range) with the chestnut leather seats and loved them. So far all I've found are Automatics with those types of seats.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm compiling a list of stuff to check for and plan on swinging by the local dealership just to see if they can give me any kind of update to the work that has been done to the car.

While not my day job I've always worked on my own cars so I plan on doing most of the work myself. Should I expect to be buying special BMW tools? If we buy an X3 it's going to be for the long hall (6+ years)

I know I shouldn't ask because I know with my luck you did but... did you have chestnut brown leather seats? I saw a new X3 (out of my price range) with the chestnut leather seats and loved them. So far all I've found are Automatics with those types of seats.
Exactly what I had, but called tobacco brown. Heated seats, Xenon adaptive, and some other nice goodies like aluminum pedals, carbon fiber roundels, etc. 17.5k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08 BMW 006.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	344294   Click image for larger version

Name:	pedals-after.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	344295  
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-04-2012, 06:46 AM

NNNOOOO... I suppose the dealership you traded it to wants a high price for it, or it's sold with my luck. Are you close to Lancaster PA?

edit- Found it..I think
http://www.fskautos.com/used/BMW/200...73817c4f15.htm

way to much but maybe I'll reach out to them and see what they would come down to.

Last edited by 883sportster; 10-04-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:

On my 2006 X3( knock on wood), the only things that I had to do at 60,000+ miles was new front brakes and rotors and new belts and 2 windshield washer motors. My advise to you no matter what used vehicle you want to purchase is get a PRE Purchase Inspection. Some Indy shops offer this free. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-06-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the Advice. After checking it out and really going over it we brought it home. This is my first BMW, I've always dreamed of having one so I feel like a kid on christmas day. All I wanted to do was drive it around. Dealer came down in price and I have a few things I need to get for it like the Dice Media Bridge, rubber Mats for winter, new carbet floor mats, along with changing the transmission fluid, coolant flush, cabin filter, change the differential fluid, new brake fluid, any other fluids. Just so I have a fresh start and know for a fact that everything is up to date and I'll have a starting point for future fluid changes.

I know everyone knows what they look like but here it is!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Welcome aboard! The MT is a lot of fun.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks, So far it's a blast.

One of the keys that came with the car may have a bad battery or transponder. After some searching on the forums I cleaned up the key with contact cleaner and I'll see if it starts to take a charge at all. 45 min one way commute so hopefully I can kind of judge if it's going to charge by the weekend. (wife took the car today with the other key that works)

Update!-

Never mind I drove the X3 to work today and when I got out I was able to lock the door with the key button. Cleaning the key seems to have helped do the trick. Also on a side note- Best drive to work ever. Sure the 07 Mazda 3S I usually drive is fun but this is a whole different level :-)

Last edited by 883sportster; 10-09-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Nice! Enjoy!