Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-04-2012, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: E39 (M62) 540i
Wont start following Valley Pan replacement!

Hi everyone, ive been a long time lurker and stealer of information off the site for working on my car, without issue… now I need to post!

I have just finished fixing the valley pan, O-rings… the general coolant overhaul that every E39 M62 owner has to do. Today I got it back together and went to turn the key, flat battery.. so I gave it some charge and turned the key. Its turning over but won’t start, when I got out of the car after fighting with it for 5 mins to get it to start, I had a good haze of smoke… when it was turning over I heard a few pops. Im struggling to understand why it won’t start.

Note, I was using the service key (it shouldn’t matter if im not using the main key? The battery in it is flat)

My first thought was that I’ve put a connection in the wrong spot but everything seems correct, is there anywhere where I can get a look at a diagram for where all of the plugs go off the loom?

Beyond that im stumped…. Surely cleaning out the intake manifold wouldn’t cause any issues….

Help?
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
check the easy stuff like the spark plug ground wires
Old 10-04-2012, 04:27 PM

wheres the spark plug ground located? the ground(s) for the wire loom are on nice and tight following having put it back on.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: e30, e39
Yah either spark ground or knock sensors disconnected. double checked all the other connections?
86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
00 540is 6spd 214k (daily driver) Timing chain guides just failed. In the middle of a full rebuild instead of repair. I wonder how much longer it would of gone if i just repaired it.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM

the knock sensors are back in, though it did take me a little while to rember that they plug back into the top of the witing loom.

where is this spark ground? i cant check it if no one tells me where it is.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: e30, e39
Its the bare copper wire that should be in the middle of the valve cover with the coil connections. Each side has one in the middle of the 4 ignition coils. Under the BMW plastic valve cover covers.
86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
87 325 300k (project for life) aka 1BADETA/Christine
00 540is 6spd 214k (daily driver) Timing chain guides just failed. In the middle of a full rebuild instead of repair. I wonder how much longer it would of gone if i just repaired it.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM

In that case, yes its earthed.... i wasnt sure if there was another earth wire i was not familiar with but as ive only re-attached stuff i took off.. im pretty stumped
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: e39 2002 540i6
Had all the manifold cleaner been clean out of the intake manifold? If the cleaner running down into the intakes that could well be your problem, burning the cleaner would be likely to create smoke.

When i did the intake gaskets on mine, I cleaned the top of the intakes and small amount of cleaner got into the intakes and it ran very rough for a little while until the cleaner burned off.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Yes its likely that some degreaser may have got into places it shouldn't have, but its not explaining why it wont start...

i need some good diagrams of the hoses and wires to make sure i have hooked it all back up right... im yet to find something that doesn't look right
Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 PM

so i got back out there today after walking away from it and had another look with the flashlight to find that one of the injector clips had done a 180 and wasnt pluged in... so i spun it back around and cliped it back in but the mongrel wont start.

it seems to be backfiring in the inlet manifold

any ideas? any help wouyld be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i, 2002 540i
Sorry you are having trouble getting your car started after a big project.

BMW does a good job making sure all the plugs are different sizes and shapes and not giving you too much wire, so it is unlikely you have something plugged in the wrong place. HOwever, it is easy to miss connecting a wire or small hoseduring re-assembly.

Since you had the injector clips off, I would continue to look there. I left the clips off last time and just use the nuts to keep the injector bar in place. The clips kept getting in the way of seating the connectors completely.

Also, were the spark plug boots in good condition? If they are torn or damaged (or not seated correctly) it will let the spark arc and not fire the plug.

Keep us posted
Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
an Idea...

if you got one on bkwds...perhaps you could have more?

MAF?

Did you check for spark?
Fuel?

I guess we go back to basics...it is waiting to start for sure...
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540iA
I had a similar problem when I did the valley pan on a previous 540. When I was putting the intake on, one of the gaskets slipped out and was not seated properly. That created a huge leak for unmetered air and the car would turn over but not start. I could give it gas and it would fire, run for 10-15 seconds then die. I could hear popping from the intake while the car died. You can use a telescoping mirror to look underneath the intake from the rear to see if an intake gasket is not seated properly.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the tip, i think ill check the intake manifold gaskets today.

i got it started but it was running like crap and the temp on the dash was telling me it was in the red but it wasnt that hot, cold enough to take the cap back off.... perhaps ive unhooked a sensor too??

what a headache!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRider View Post
I had a similar problem when I did the valley pan on a previous 540. When I was putting the intake on, one of the gaskets slipped out and was not seated properly. That created a huge leak for unmetered air and the car would turn over but not start. I could give it gas and it would fire, run for 10-15 seconds then die. I could hear popping from the intake while the car died. You can use a telescoping mirror to look underneath the intake from the rear to see if an intake gasket is not seated properly.

SRider, you were on the money, that was the issue. thanks mate!

My only issue now is that the water temp jups to red quickly after i start it :S yet its not actually hot.

Last edited by veneficus; 10-16-2012 at 10:31 PM.