Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Light Control Module replaced but problem persists

SORRY to post a new thread, but I'm in a rush at work and DESPERATE for knowledge. Recently I replaced a transistor on the LCM to fix the headlight stuck on issue. It sort of worked. I bought 4 more transistors to fix the flickering problem but never got that far.

Lesson to other dummies out there: disconnect the battery before removing/installing the LCM!!!

I was reinstalling the LCM and bumped the heat sink on the bracket behind the glove box. SPARK!!! Now I have half the lights I used to. No fuses are blown, and it doesn't appear the bulbs are bad, but I have:

1 dim headlight on the driver side
1 bright headlight on the passenger side
1 blinker on the right rear ONLY
2 tail lights
0 driving lights

Dash indicates passenger and both rear bulbs out.

REPLACED the LCM with a salvage yard part (looked identical). No difference with the lights or dash at all.

What am I missing? Does the LCM need to be coded to work at all? I'm ok with an indicator that I tinkered with the electronics. Is there another fuse somewhere I'm missing? Is there a relay for the LCM? Nothing seems to be wrong, but I have lights out and a dash lit up.

I tried removing the battery cables and crossing for 15 mins. No difference.

I guess my question is: What tells the dash the light is out? Where is the power stopping and not getting to the bulb? The switch? The plugs? Anything?
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
LCM has 4 fuses (no relays): F112, F113 under the carpet on the passenger side, F16, F41 in the glove box. Maybe one of the big F11x fuses is out.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
had similar battery issue with GM module

Lesson to other dummies out there: disconnect the battery before removing/installing ANY BMW module

try this

disconnect battery
reconnect LCM module
clean errors in DIS/INPA and check LCM status

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...416&highlight=

BMW E38/E39 Rear Axle/Differential Bush Tool

Last edited by champaign777; 10-04-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Acoste: YOU ROCK!!! I tested F111 and F112 and found F112 was dead. Made a makeshift fuseable link till tomorrow and we're good to go! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 AM

Update: I should have my car taken away from me. I did something stupid. When I made a fuseable link to temporarily mend the problem I used too weak of a fuse and too small of gauge of wire.

Got in the car this morning and the fuse popped. NO problem, I'll just cross the wires since I know all the systems are fine. That way I can get to work and buy the proper fuse from NAPA.

Crossed the wires and they lit up like a light bulb. The car started smoking and I did all I could to pull the battery terminal. Meanwhile my 7 year old daughter is trying to show me her magnetic ducky. NOT NOW!

I got all the power off and waited a sec for the red hot wire to cool. I got the trim piece off and yanked the carpet up. The burned carpet. Then I removed the melted foam blocks a piece at a time. Underneath was a cloud of smoke and melted wires.

I removed all the schrapnel and got the car back to just "broken". I stopped by NAPA and got the correct fuse. Conclusion to this debacle later.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 AM

just an FYI. I did a little research. The fuse for the LCM is an 80amp, NOT a 50amp like the first one on the block. CHECK THE BMW PART NUMBER BEFORE YOU REPLACE ANY!

Back to the store for a replacement. Good thing I thought to check before I put it in and blew it.