Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Clear Bra....

How do you guys feel about it? Is it worth it... Any recommendations?... I've seen that some can turn color over time... Is this usually the case?.. I am on a lease would it be worth investing in if I am going to turn the car in later?..
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
I wouldn't do it personally. I do very little highway driving, so my exposure to bugs, pebbles, and the like is minimal. For me, regular washing and waxing are sufficient to keep the car looking good. Obviously wax won't protect against rocks hitting the paint, but I don't have a single paint nick after having my car for 8 months. There are likely clear bra products available I'm unfamiliar with, but the words bring to mind images of dirt lines at the edge between the bra and the paint. These mental pictures are likely of lesser products than you are considering, but I'd still be hesitant to do it. If you're leasing, do you really think that the paint is going to get that messed up in the three year period? If I were leasing, I'd be nearly 1/4 of the way through the lease period, and my bumper looks flawless unless you get really close and start looking for imperfections - and even then those imperfections are rare and nearly invisible.

Another concern about the bras would be scraping the underside of the bumper/nose and the effect this might have on the bra. I'd think this type of trauma would rip the bra and make it more likely to peel and allow dirt to work its way between the bra and the car. Idk, just thinking out loud.

I don't mean to sound too down on these products as I have no personal experience with them. These are just my concerns with this type of protective solution...

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 10-06-2012, 04:34 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I have a clear bra on my Pana and have had them installed on every car I've owned since 2004...a lot of cars now that I think about it. Anyway, I have had no problems with them as we'll as peace of mind from front end damage cause by bugs and road debris. Clear bras are a must in my opinion, unless you plan on repainting your bumper every 2 years or so.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I Clear bras are a must in my opinion, unless you plan on repainting your bumper every 2 years or so.
That sounds about right. I didn't and figure I'll need to next time I do a once over on the hood and bumper.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
I had a clear bra installed in my previous two 7s because we have bug seasons here in Florida and it does a number on bumpers if you don't clean right away. With the 6er, I was offered a coating that the put over the entire car and I get any paint damage, they pay to respray. It was offered through the dealership. I survived one bug season cycle with no problems so far.

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille

12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I have a clear bra on my Pana and have had them installed on every car I've owned since 2004...a lot of cars now that I think about it. Anyway, I have had no problems with them as we'll as peace of mind from front end damage cause by bugs and road debris. Clear bras are a must in my opinion, unless you plan on repainting your bumper every 2 years or so.
Hmm in the DMV especially with all the construction on the beltway I was a little concerned.... Which is why I am asking. Anybody you can recommend or any particular product you can recommend?.. I may go with one.. Just to save the headache of bug damage on lease turn in..
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
Hmm in the DMV especially with all the construction on the beltway I was a little concerned.... Which is why I am asking. Anybody you can recommend or any particular product you can recommend?.. I may go with one.. Just to save the headache of bug damage on lease turn in..
This is my guy (Rob) in Ellicott City...

http://www.proformauto.com/content.php?id=about

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Do it do it,i highly recommend it planong in doing soon to my baby

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 10-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 f12 was 2010 E63
In Colorado we have a few bugs. Our biggest ding culprit is sand (gravel) on our winter roads. I use a clear bra on the front portion of the hood, back of the mirrors, and headlights. According to the dealer it helps with dings on metal. The plastic on the bumpers seems to be reasonably immune to gravel damage. Having had the clear bra on four cars now. i agree with the dealer. By the time I turn in the car for end of lease there always seems to be a paint chip on the upper part of the hood beyond the clear bra but without effect on lease return. My biggest problem is not paint chip but windshield chips.

2012 650i xDrive|Vermillion Red Metallic | Cinnamon Brown Nappa Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | ARS | 20" Wheels | Active Cruise Control | HUD | Night Vision | LED Lights | Heated seats | Heated Steering Wheel | Ski bag | Active front seats | Premium hi-fi system | Satellite radio | Plus more

Former ride 2010 Deep Sea Blue 650i

Last edited by pan; 10-06-2012 at 03:55 PM.