Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Unhappy No more ebay headers for 100$

the cheapest headers i could find are selling for 250$, where are the 100$ headers u'v all been talkin about?
i've been thinking about getting test pipes and deleting the sensors, and replacing the stock headers with ebay ones, but after seeing the pics of those headers already available, ebay headers is hitting both birds with one stone, right? i mean it looks like they are already cat-less

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Ads by Google
Old 10-06-2012, 03:22 PM

At least, test pipes r a must. Some time ago i told u guys about how my car was dead-even with a stock Z350 after a vanos rebuild. Now he got test pipes, and boy did he kick my a$$ big time! Bottom line, headers and pipes will give u a great boost, amazing bang for the buck! I'm going for it as soon as i can
Please i need ur feedback regarding my first post to know where to go from there.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92, E82, E46, E39
BMW's don't really have test pipes, at least that's not what they're referred to as. Since the cats are in the headers in 99% of bmw's, such as yours, removing the headers and replacing them with catless headers will be the most significant thing you can do short of boost. Your car doesn't have designated bolt on sections either, like an M3 does or any other JDM style car you might be referring to. There is only two parts where you bolt on, and that's headers to the block, and then the catback to the header, and that's about it.

Best bet is to replace your headers if you want power, then tune it, but honestly, if you're not willing to spend just $250 on headers, then you might be lost. A good quality set of headers go for at least $850+. And I've tried ebay headers, they cracked within a year, so they're not worth it, and I bought the $250 kind...

Just food for thought.
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm (PST)
Check out the Blog!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains III View Post
And I've tried ebay headers, they cracked within a year, so they're not worth it, and I bought the $250 kind...
Better invest in different headers if these won't last more than a year...
Thanks for the heads up

Old 10-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
Thanks for the heads up
When I rebuilt the engine in my old 530i, I installed a set of Stahl headers, which, at the time (1982), were around $600 IIRC....they were extremely well-made, with nice thick flanges to prevent warpage and leaking. Drove it for 7 years with no problems, so I guess buying quality paid off....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
Thanks for the heads up
Well, let me say this, Modbargains is in the business of selling the higher priced units, so you have to consider the source. From a non-biased perspective I can tell you that a lot of guys run those ebay headers without issue for years (they have been around for some time).

Do I think ebay headers are quality units? Not even close. Modbargains is correct, "good" headers are like "good" coilovers, they cost money, that is why my car doesn't have any.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....