Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535xi
Ongoing issue with self leveling system

Way back on 9/20 the warning light for the self leveling system came on during my drive home from work. When I got out of the car I found the rear of the car was almost dragging, no sound from the compressor trying to fill the air bags could be heard. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in the next morning. When I dropped the car off I asked for the overdue brake fluid replacement service, the battery cable recall, and a four wheel alignment to be performed. I also noted a hesitation and what felt like a miss during rapid acceleration. Upon inspection, they found carbon deposit in the intake, and a damaged left front lower control arm thanks to the trips thru the car wash.

They found the compressor for the self leveling system had failed, taking along with it a fuse and relay, total repair cost $1237.08. The vehicle was returned to me on Monday the 24th. On the way to work on the 28th the light came back on again, the rear end did not sag or drop this time. I contacted the dealer and dropped the car off after stopping at my office, the light was not on when I restarted and drove it over to them. They had the car for the day and could not find any reason for the light, returned the car to me calling it an anomaly.

On the way to work on October 1st the light came on once again. Called them, dropped the car off, this time they had it for four days. Reset the sensors, reloaded the software, drove it 150 miles, tested all other components for leaks and found none, returned the car to me saying the resetting of the sensors was the issue.

So, on the way to work this morning, I heard the dreaded chime and found the light back on again, sigh.

I am dropping the car off later today again, I heard the compressor runnng on Friday evening as I pulled in the garage, heard it again this morning as I removed the containers with recycling materials curbside in front of my house. This leads me to believe there must be a leak in the system. Can a "smoke machine" be used to aid in finding a leak in this system? Seems like it might be better than the visual inspection they have been doing.

If anybody else here has been thru this I would appriciate any advise you can provide. The dealer is bing very nice about this, same day drop off and giving me a 5 series loaner each time, but I'd like this to be over already................
Advertisement