Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > F10 M5 (2012 - Current)

F10 M5 (2012 - Current)
The count down is on. The BMW M5 F10 will be released on April 1st, 2011!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
The BMW M5 6 Speed Manual - When Truth Crushes Our Enthusiast Souls

BMW M5 6 speed manual driving review

Bimmerfest's very own enthusiast and moderator Emission had a chance to review the 2013 BMW M5 with the standard 7 speed M DCT and the optional 6 speed manual transmission. Emission is an enthusiast at heart with many year of manual transmission driving to his name, this isn't someone who is going to give up on rowing his own gears without a fight. That being said having driven the 2012 M6 convertible with the 7 speed M DCT I know just how good the semi-automatic transmission is. I was rooting for the 6 speed manual transmission on the M5 to come through for the enthusiasts, unfortunately it does not.

Quote:
It didn't take but a few minutes to realize that the manual transmission completely changes the M5 driving experience and not for the better.

Read Emission's complete review of the BMW M5 with the optional 6 speed manual at AutoBlog.

As hard as it is to admit I have to concede that the M5 is a better car with the DCT transmission, but would I buy one with it over the manual? That isn't so easy to say. What transmission would you get in your M5?

Watch a few hot laps of the 2013 at Laguna Seca Race Track

Last edited by tim330i; 10-09-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Boats & Hoes

Mein Auto: -13 M5 Sakhir/Chohiba
I got 6MT, My E92 M3 was DCT... Its not a matter of faster as much what you want to feel...
Video game or real mechanical car... I personally missed the Manual.

If you got the car to drag race.....You started with the wrong chassis. 4,300LB's is pretty heavy..

Aloha
Alex
Old 10-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 E55, '04 Sienna,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
BMW M5 6 speed manual driving review

Bimmerfest's very own enthusiast and moderator Emission had a chance to review the 2013 BMW M5 with the standard 7 speed M DCT and the optional 6 speed manual transmission. Emission is an enthusiast at heart with many year of manual transmission driving to his name, this isn't someone who is going to give up on rowing his own gears without a fight. That being said having driven the 2012 M6 convertible with the 7 speed M DCT I know just how good the semi-automatic transmission is. I was rooting for the 6 speed manual transmission on the M5 to come through for the enthusiasts, unfortunately it does not.

Read Emission's complete review of the BMW M5 with the optional 6 speed manual at AutoBlog.

As hard as it is to admit I have to concede that the M5 is a better car with the DCT transmission, but would I buy one with it over the manual? That isn't so easy to say. What transmission would you get in your M5?

Watch a few hot laps of the 2013 at Laguna Seca Race Track
I disagree.

I am not sure if you really read thru auto blog review.

The DCT is faster and allows driver to simply just watch out for speed and turns. But that is not what I was looking for.

I like to shift and decide what i wanted to do. Its more engaging drive.

Like masterdank said. If i want a fast track car, M5 wouldn't be on my list. I would take a 991.
2011 Sienna limited AWD- Predawn Grey
2009 E93 M3- silverstone
2007 Gallardo- Arancio Borealis
2004 E55- Tectite Grey
Old 07-19-2014, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5 MONTE CARLO BLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme View Post
I disagree.

I am not sure if you really read thru auto blog review.

The DCT is faster and allows driver to simply just watch out for speed and turns. But that is not what I was looking for.

I like to shift and decide what i wanted to do. Its more engaging drive.

Like masterdank said. If i want a fast track car, M5 wouldn't be on my list. I would take a 991.
I disagree as well. Part of the reason some people complain that the f10 M5 is not engaging like the e39 m5 is because of the Dct. Yes it is fast, yes it is going to produce .5 second faster 0-60 times and .5 second faster quarter mile times, but the bottom line in everyday driving or back road driving the 6 speed manual makes the f10 m5 engaging and fun to drive. Even on the track there is nothing more satisfying than hitting the right gear while braking coming into a turn or up shifting coming out of a turn onto the straights. The biggest problem is that most people that buy a f10 m5 today are 50 fifty years and older and want everything easy and nice and comfortable, in other words "LAZY". The other fact we are finding out is that all these so called "driving enthusiasists" are finding that handling a manual transmission with 600 hp takes a lot more effort and skill than handling a e39 m5 or a e90 m3 with 400 hp. I guess all of a sudden we are not the driving enthusiasists we thought we were.

The bottom line if you want a lighting fast artificial driving experience, buy the Dct. If you want a fast engaging fun driving experience be a real driving enthusiasists and buy the 6 speed manual.

P.S. - anybody can be fast and look good driving a Dct on a track.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:56 PM

I guess the new f80 m3 should be purchased with the Dct as well ? 3600 lbs. and only 430 hp, but oh my god we need to buy it in the Dct ? Why ? Because we are lazy ! And most people are not the driving enthusiasists they thought they were. It takes a lot more skill to "drive" 4300 lbs. and 600 hp around a track with a third pedal as opposed to only having two pedals to navigate.

NASCAR drivers are considered the best and most skilled race car drivers in the world, and it's not because they drive tricked out computerized automated F1 transmissions, and that is a fact !
Old 07-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTC View Post
P.S. - anybody can be fast and look good driving a Dct on a track.
I imagine the last owner of the last buggy whip company...

If you don't like the DCT, drive the manual. If you don't like the manual, drive the DCT. Someone gives their opinion and people... sad.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjayfan View Post
I imagine the last owner of the last buggy whip company...

If you don't like the DCT, drive the manual. If you don't like the manual, drive the DCT. Someone gives their opinion and people... sad.
I understand what you are saying and I agree. I have driven both and I chose to buy the manual. Yes the Dct is fast, probably the fastest automated manual on the market, but it is artificial and soulless. That is a fact. But then again the demographic of people that buy m5/m6's are different today than back when the e39 m5 was in their prime. The bottom line is this a lot of these so called "driving enthusiasists ", like the writer of this article, are not such great driving enthusiasists when you add 200 hp and 300 lbs. to a m5 with a manual transmissions. Like he said in the article while driving on the track with the 6 speed manual transmission he actually had to work at driving the car as opposed to just pointing the DCT.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6 Coupe
Quote:
I understand what you are saying and I agree. I have driven both and I chose to buy the manual. Yes the Dct is fast, probably the fastest automated manual on the market, but it is artificial and soulless. That is a fact.
No, that's an opinion, yours. You're free to have it but not everyone is going to agree.

Quote:
But then again the demographic of people that buy m5/m6's are different today than back when the e39 m5 was in their prime. The bottom line is this a lot of these so called "driving enthusiasists ", like the writer of this article, are not such great driving enthusiasists when you add 200 hp and 300 lbs. to a m5 with a manual transmissions. Like he said in the article while driving on the track with the 6 speed manual transmission he actually had to work at driving the car as opposed to just pointing the DCT.
Of course the people that buy M5's/M6's are different today, the cars are different. They're luxury GT type cars. For the life of me I can't understand why people that want the E39 experience would buy an F10 M5. Two different cars.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 320i ZSP, 8AT, BMS Stage1
When it comes to this age old discussion, opinion gets touted as fact pretty quickly, which is why it's futile to engage. "I prefer driving a manual, thus, it is the most engaging and the most fun and there is no possible way you can have as much fun with the automatic." Same old song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunk99 View Post
You drive a 320 so pretty sure you have nothing of value to contribute.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
In a Sports Car or Sedan or GT these days.... DCT all day everyday. There's a reason why the likes of Porsche Turbo S, GT-R, etc go this route... It's simply better all around.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
In a Sports Car or Sedan or GT these days.... DCT all day everyday. There's a reason why the likes of Porsche Turbo S, GT-R, etc go this route... It's simply better all around.

disagree. Some cars maybe. The M3 or the M5 ARE much more engaging with six speed manuals. I HAVE DRIVEN BOTH THE DCT AND I OWN THE MANUAL and I can tell you this, although the dct is a very quick and excellent transmission it is the main reason why alot of auto journalists say the f10 M5 IS NOT AS ENGAGING TO DRIVE AS SAY THE E39 M5 WAS. As fast as the dct is it has a very artificial feeling to it, kind of like playing a video game, where as the six speed manual in the M5 MAY BRING OUT SOME REAL SHORT FALLS, it makes you drive the car and feel what it is actually doing while you are DRIVING the M5 versus just steering it.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Love the white BMW.