Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
2013 7er audio systems

Anyone listen to the premium audio system on the 2013's? Wondering if there's any improvement made with the refresh. Is the B&O system worth the extra $$$? Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745Li<br>2008 750Li
An F10 bimmerfest member has posted his review here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=631401
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the link.... nice review. Anyone know if there's been any changes/improvement for the 2013's premium system? Also, has anyone ever listened to the B&O system in the 7?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
In hindsight I would have gotten it.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
From what I read in that link to the other thread it sounds like the F10 5-series has a Harman Kardon system that's superior to the premium sound system in our F01? That is absolute b/s if BMW would put a superior system in a 5 series and leave that ****ter "Premium Audio" in the flagship models. Dudes need to work on their release schedules so that those of us who drop the most cash on a model don't end up driving around with crappier equipment than those who spent 2/3rds as much as us a year later. Benz seems to do a better job about that stuff, as the S Class, SL etc. seem to get the new equipment before the lesser models. Sort of makes me feel like a sucker for spending 100k on a BMW.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 10-11-2012, 03:53 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2013 750Li
The sound system has been one of the biggest disappointments to me. I was a little spoiled with the Harman Kardon in my other ride. I also notice the sound fades in and out sometimes as if the signal is week. Kinda erratic, but I know the signal is strong.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM
CABimmerNation

Mein Auto: 2010 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard109 View Post
The sound system has been one of the biggest disappointments to me. I was a little spoiled with the Harman Kardon in my other ride. I also notice the sound fades in and out sometimes as if the signal is week. Kinda erratic, but I know the signal is strong.
You might want to check the self adjusting volume control. I turned mine completely off. It's under the audio settings.
Dinan S3, PedalBox, 22" Agetro rims, H&R spt springs, RDsport front lip, coded, paddle shift retrofit, AlpineMSS HID 8000k. All exterior chrome, roof, roof spoiler and everything behind wheels painted black, wing, side and rear reflectors and door handle trim painted white, light smoke on tail lights. Audio: focal separates, earthquake low profile subs under front seats (crossed over as mid base to support the pathetic 4" fronts), arc audio amps, audiocontrol lcq-1 and epicenter, (2) L7 subs.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
I had a chance to test out the B&O system when I test drove the 2013 7 series. The thing I found with the b&o system was the sound was much crisper and much more detailed than the stock system and I don't know how to explain it but the sound seem to fill the entire cabin much better than the stock system. But the thing that really blew me away was when the sales person played a DVD, the sound was incredible and it was like you were sitting in a very expensive home theater. Unfortunately the thing that turned me off was the option price; the b&o sound system is a $7,000 option which I feel is a bit ridiculous seeing how BMW decided to put such a crappy stock system and than basically tell buyers of a $120k car that if you want a system that actually belongs in a $100k+ luxury car you have to fork over $7,000.

That been said I'm sure a lot people would think spending thousands of dollars on the LED headlamp options or the tech. package makes no sense so I guess it all depends what you want. My advice is go down to a dealership and let your ears do the hearing.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 AM

F01Driver, did you notice a difference in the quality/presence of the bass when you listened to the B&O system in the 7? I agree with your comment and will add on how crazy it is that dealers around my area don't even stock any 7's with the B&O system for me to listen to! Hard for me to check off such an expensive option of blind faith alone.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750li, Mercedes SL600
Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
I had a chance to test out the B&O system when I test drove the 2013 7 series. The thing I found with the b&o system was the sound was much crisper and much more detailed than the stock system and I don't know how to explain it but the sound seem to fill the entire cabin much better than the stock system. But the thing that really blew me away was when the sales person played a DVD, the sound was incredible and it was like you were sitting in a very expensive home theater. Unfortunately the thing that turned me off was the option price; the b&o sound system is a $7,000 option which I feel is a bit ridiculous seeing how BMW decided to put such a crappy stock system and than basically tell buyers of a $120k car that if you want a system that actually belongs in a $100k+ luxury car you have to fork over $7,000.

That been said I'm sure a lot people would think spending thousands of dollars on the LED headlamp options or the tech. package makes no sense so I guess it all depends what you want. My advice is go down to a dealership and let your ears do the hearing.
I remember the B&O systems for the Mercedes S-Class costing $6400 with the base car being pricier, so the cost isn't that unusual in the premium segment.

That said, the Logic 7 in the MB does sound much better than the premium sound system in the 7, but I thought that the B&O didn't make a huge difference when driving. Standing still it did sound much more refined (but not $6+k better), but that's a personal choice, as you said.

Since our BMW is a winter/family car and my wife likes it quiet, there aren't too many times I could really take advantage of a higher-end system

Btw, am I the only one that think the Sirius XM radio sounds like it's 1954? Crappy, tinny, echoey and to my ears, almost impossible to listen to. Sounds like they severely compress the audio and broadcast at 32kps. The news stations are worse.

I now just use Stitcher or Webradio...
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E61 M Sport/2012 F30
The stock system is not bad it just seems like a downgrade from L7
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: F01
B&O retrofit costs around $5000. That;s for the covers, amplifier, central dash 'opening up' speaker and every mid bass/bass and tweeters around the car. I'm going to install it too so I'll let you know details later )))
Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Just had a chance to listen to the B&O system in an M5. Overall not impressed. Sounded a bit clearer in the mids and highs but bass in definitely not any better. I doubt anyone will hear a difference in a moving vehicle with road noise. Assuming the B&O system is similar in the 7, I can't see spending the extra $$ for it. Looks like the premium sound system is the way to go. Too bad its still a mediocre sound system at best.