Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
How Much Can I Sell For?

So I've had my 2009 (not certified) BMW 335i sedan for a short amount of time. I'm making a career change, considering I'm only 20, with my wife starting our own business. No longer do we need, nor can we afford 2 vehicles. So we will be keeping her new suburban, practical, and selling my beloved bimmer. I would really prefer to sell it myself, I have a bit of experience doing so but my problem is that I don't want to be a fool asking too much $. It has 13,6XX miles on it. I tried to KBB it but the value has came out strangely lower than anything on the market anywhere and from a lot of previous experience KBB was always disappointingly higher than reality. I would go to Carmax but the closest one to me is the same distance as my BMW dealer; 190 miles. Would anyone here have an idea what my car would be worth with more details and specs?
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Can't help you with specifics, but I would recommend you look at nada.com and edmunds.com as additional resources. I may be wrong, but I thought carmax would give an online quote (subject to in-person inspection) -- but know you won't get from them what you'd get from a private party buyer, use their value as a "floor".

I'd also recommend cars.com and autotrader.com searches for similarly equipped models in your area to see what people are asking. Figure as a private party seller you won't get what a dealer is asking for theirs and also figure that every buyer will want to haggle the price a bit.

You also have a tradeoff to consider; price it lower for quick sale vs. get as much value you can even if it takes a while.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335ix M-Sport
Since when is a Suburban 'practical'? Large families excluded.

2011 E90 Black Sapphire| Chestnut Dakota | xDrive | M-Sport | STEP | ZCW| ZPP | ZXA | HK Stereo | CA

Gone, but not forgotten:
08 BMW 335i e90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
^He's in New Mexico -- A Suburban is much more practical than getting a BMW stuck in the desert 50 miles from anything and waiting for the coyotes to eat you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrbimmer335i View Post

It has 13,6XX miles on it. I tried to KBB it but the value has came out strangely lower than anything on the market anywhere and from a lot of previous experience KBB was always disappointingly higher than reality. I would go to Carmax but the closest one to me is the same distance as my BMW dealer; 190 miles. Would anyone here have an idea what my car would be worth with more details and specs?
No idea. But I'd check KBB -- also NADA, Edmunds, etc. You can also check the "completed listings" on eBay to see what similar cars have actually sold for. Since my car is a little unusual (MT ZSP wagon) I may list it in the BMWCCA classifieds when I sell it, to minimize bothering with local tire-kickers.
2008 E91 station wagon 19K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Dunlop Winter Sports, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats, sand, dog hair, several pairs of smelly old running shoes.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
My dealer usually says KBB fair trade in (the lowest one, sometimes they go up to good if the car is pristine), if your selling private party probably a couple grand more.

The real price is what people will pay, so looking at what they have sold for at auction or on ebay gives you a pretty good starting point, for low mileage probably looking in the 23 range for trade and 25 range private party depending on options, maybe a bit more.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
Since when is a Suburban 'practical'? Large families excluded.
Since I have a 7month old, and a business in which inventory will be traveling in. I also tow a camper often, and being part owner in a trucking company I'm always doing something with trailers. Sounds practical to me. But I'm assuming you're a mini van lover? Not for me and don't do what I need. I live in a truck town anyways... We travel a lot too, run flats and no room for luggage calls for a big pain in the ass.

Last edited by mjrbimmer335i; 10-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
My dealer usually says KBB fair trade in (the lowest one, sometimes they go up to good if the car is pristine), if your selling private party probably a couple grand more.

The real price is what people will pay, so looking at what they have sold for at auction or on ebay gives you a pretty good starting point, for low mileage probably looking in the 23 range for trade and 25 range private party depending on options, maybe a bit more.
Agh I hope not! Kbb suggests 28 for trade in. It's in pristine condition other than a scuff on the rim that my wonderful wife did.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Like I said depends on options, I just did the numbers with no options since you didn't mention what they were - KBB fair should be minimum they will give you, if it is pretty mint, KBB good is a good number to aim for on a trade, 1500-2000 more private sale.

Rob
Old 10-14-2012, 07:37 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
My .02. Sell the Burby and keep the Bimmer I can stuff me, wife, and three kids ( age 5 and under) plus her parents in my X5 when traveling to VT. How much stuff do take with you when traveling??? Throw a tow bar on the end of that bad boy and call it a day. Hope you wont regret it if you sell.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
My .02. Sell the Burby and keep the Bimmer I can stuff me, wife, and three kids ( age 5 and under) plus her parents in my X5 when traveling to VT. How much stuff do take with you when traveling??? Throw a tow bar on the end of that bad boy and call it a day. Hope you wont regret it if you sell.
Living in New Mexico is a world apart from living in Boston. Not to mention the other reasons the OP posted for why the Suburban makes more sense for his family.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:56 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Living in New Mexico is a world apart from living in Boston. Not to mention the other reasons the OP posted for why the Suburban makes more sense for his family.
Maybe an X5D?? Sell both other vehicles and still have a nice BMW with good towing capacity
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrbimmer335i View Post
So I've had my 2009 (not certified) BMW 335i sedan for a short amount of time. I'm making a career change, considering I'm only 20, with my wife starting our own business. No longer do we need, nor can we afford 2 vehicles. So we will be keeping her new suburban, practical, and selling my beloved bimmer. I would really prefer to sell it myself, I have a bit of experience doing so but my problem is that I don't want to be a fool asking too much $. It has 13,6XX miles on it. I tried to KBB it but the value has came out strangely lower than anything on the market anywhere and from a lot of previous experience KBB was always disappointingly higher than reality. I would go to Carmax but the closest one to me is the same distance as my BMW dealer; 190 miles. Would anyone here have an idea what my car would be worth with more details and specs?

A problem. Your ride's worth what anyone will pay - far from dealer's a disadvantage.

KBB etc. only a possibility. To be real, check local prices. Then you'll know.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
Lol I can't sell the burban for two reasons... Most important, wife wanted it. Second, we got it less than a month ago. An X5 was her first choice but then idk what the hell came over her and she would not let it go that she needed a suburban. Now officially everyone in my family has one... Not cool but ours is the nicest
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM

And thank you all for the input. It's funny how some think keeping the suburban is out of this world but where I live and also how I was raised, it is the norm. I will miss my bimmer for sure no doubt about it and will definitely own one as soon as I'm making enough to afford another payment. Till then ill be driving my paid off 2008 eclipse gt. My mom's friend is buying my bimmer for $36k 3k more than I owe!!