Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Gran Turismo
I'm no longer a Gran Turismo owner

I loved the car for all the reasons most GT owner do. It was my first BMW and was buying instead of leasing because it was the car I planned on keeping longer than 24 or 36 months. During my research before buying I missed one issue. And the issue led to last Friday being, my last day of ownership.

Reason? Started with cracked wheels, continued with BMW's response to the issue and ended after a comment by the sales manager (which I'm sure he meant as encouragement to keep the car but had the opposite effect after dealing with BMW on the issue).

I thought about it for a while, decided when you spend a lot of money to buy a luxury car, you do so to enjoy it, not worry about its safety. And you hope the company wishes the same for owners of its vehicles. Decided I want to focus on other things than this situation, so I decided to take the loss and move on to another Luxury car brand, and did so on 10/12/2012.

To all BMW owners, especially GT owners, I want you to know I still think its a great car. Thats why we bought them. Enjoy yours, but if you have 19" alloy wheels, have them checked regularly for cracks, otherwise you won't know till a problem arises while you're driving with a crack wheel.

Good Luck

Last edited by Tonomeis; 10-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Angry Almost there as well

I am a new BMW owner and although I absolutely love my 550, I have never been so frustrated with the service, or lack of service. I have been complaining of a 1200-2000 rpm engine whine that started at 4000 miles and has gradually gotten worse over the last 6000 miles and for months all I get is "there are no technical bulletins on this problem" or " the sound is normal"! There is no way this annoying whine, which has people turn their heads when I drive through my neighborhood, is only with my car. The other issue is wheel vibrations at 65mph and between 70 and 80 MPH. Unbelievable that the dealer cannot resolve this problem, I have even taken the car in to the local tire shop and they balanced the wheels which improved the vibration but were not able to resolve the problem. Anyway, car is going in for the last time tomorrow, and if they cannot resolve it is gone and it will be my first and last BMW.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCGT View Post
I am a new BMW owner and although I absolutely love my 550, I have never been so frustrated with the service, or lack of service. I have been complaining of a 1200-2000 rpm engine whine that started at 4000 miles and has gradually gotten worse over the last 6000 miles and for months all I get is "there are no technical bulletins on this problem" or " the sound is normal"! There is no way this annoying whine, which has people turn their heads when I drive through my neighborhood, is only with my car. The other issue is wheel vibrations at 65mph and between 70 and 80 MPH. Unbelievable that the dealer cannot resolve this problem, I have even taken the car in to the local tire shop and they balanced the wheels which improved the vibration but were not able to resolve the problem. Anyway, car is going in for the last time tomorrow, and if they cannot resolve it is gone and it will be my first and last BMW.
oil pump whine my friend the dealers knows about ask for besty homan bmw
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: Corvette
Wheels

Hello Tonomeis could reference the article you are speaking of so we might read it. Your help is appreciated I must say I am not happy to hear this info
Old 10-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Head up Display

Hello again Tonomeis....for everyone else out there the heads up display is not readable with polarized sun glasses...something they do not tell you when you are buying the option.....they have had the issue for some time......I guess they do not wish to buy the technology from GM as their head up display does not have this issue.......Ultimate Driving Machine is becoming more and more not so ultimate......
Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 PM

When I googled the issue and even search threads on Bimmerfest, links to this 2009/2010 article came up. http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/consum...w_latest.shtml. What they told owners with the problem then in England, happens to be the same thing, almost word for word they told me in the SF Bay Area in 2012.

Several other articles comment on the problem that seems to be linked to mostly to 19" alloy wheels paired with run flat tires, and if you read comments made on the article, owners were told the same thing I was told.

Now I'm far from being an expert on this stuff but it seems to me if you run over something or hit something hard enough to crack a wheel, the tire on that wheel is going to be damaged or destroyed. But again, I'm no expert.

I just wanted to spend a lot of money to buy a car I planned to enjoy for a long time. Funny thing is with little good customer relations addressing the issue, I would be singing the praises of BMW on here and to friends and family. You all probably know the amount of depreciation that takes place after 6 months of owning a BMW. The fact that I decided to take a $10,000 plus loss to get away from this company show how disappointed I was with the company's response and my confidence in them to address any future problems.

I could see their competition bringing "Deiter" out of retirement to make new commercials about these issues lol. But seriously, if you have these wheels on your car, have a tire company check for cracks from time to time because there is no outward indication that it is cracked.. Both times it happened to me, the tire company, after they discovered the crack, did it for free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	345720  
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM

Wheels

Thanks for the pic's....sorry this happened to you and they did not make it right ......can you post a pic of the wheels you had on your car.....
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beevee View Post
Thanks for the pic's....sorry this happened to you and they did not make it right ......can you post a pic of the wheels you had on your car.....
This is a pic of the car with the wheels.

I want to be fair to the dealer I bought the car from. They offered to replace the second cracked wheel at no charge. They initially inspected the tire and wheel and said they found no evidence of impact and would replace the wheel. Hours later they told me BMW USA rep had them conduct another test and that test somehow showed the crack was caused by an impact but the dealership would replace the wheel even though it was my fault.

The first cracked wheel, another dealership just said I caused the crack, not covered, pay $1150.

This meant to me that normal everyday driving could crack these BMW wheels because in 30 years and 17 previous cars and SUVs, driving the same roads and same way, I never had a cracked wheel. That and BMW's response to the issue led me to sale the car and move on to Audi, Lexus or a Mercedes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	345738  

Last edited by Tonomeis; 10-14-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:33 AM

Wheels

Thanks for the photo.......good luck with your next car....
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 AM

BMWEnthus,

I agree, a batch that "weren't manufactured correctly". BMW should have said something like "oops, our bad. bad batch, We'll take care of this, fix it and it won't be a problem in the future." Result would be happy customers singing the praises of the company. I mean think about it. (disclaimer, I'm not an expert on this) If nothing is wrong with the wheel and I hit something hard enough to crack it. Something is going to be damaged on the tire that would be a safety concern. Yet they put the same tire back on and let me drive away on it. As far as the "advanced test" they performed where they "measured the run out on the wheel" that showed impact damage., if you drive a 2 ton car long enough on a wheel that has a crack in it, because you have no idea its cracked, (disclaimer, I'm not an expert on this ) there is a good chance the wheel is not going to remain perfectly round.

whisper: test drove the Audi A6 and the Lexus GS after I turned in the BMW. Loved the Audi, but the Lexus dealer gave me a deal on the GS that would help me recoup some of the money lost getting out of the BMW over the span of the lease. I couldn't turn it down. The Audi will have to wait another 27 months lol.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 PM

After Thought

what you should do is notify the national recall safety board ( or whoever they are ) and let them determine if this is a manufactures defect or not. Then BMW would probably have a voluntary recall on those rims......
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM

Wheels

The crack is on the inside of the rim.....how did you even notice it?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Each time, lost air pressure in tire. Put air in, lost it again. Took car to tire repair shop and they told me about the cracks. You won't know until you have a problem. Just imagine if you drive "the ultimate driving machine" on a winding road, above the speed limit as some of us are known to do, on a wheel with a crack in it like the pic above, that you have no idea about. Might be a safety issue, right?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
My wife is on her way home in our first BMW which happens to be a 550 GT. I had an 05' Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, 5.7, limited that ended up with to cracked wheels. Easier to get over that injury to a Jeep rather than on a GT. Sorry for your trouble. We do not have the big wheels on ours....18".
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 PM

Thanks Rogue2258. The GT was great. I hope you and your wife continue to enjoy the car. I wish I could have enjoyed it longer. Maybe if I had 18", I'd still have it lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEnthus View Post
Thats just odd ive actually never seen that happen even my friends 19" koing rims he smashed a curb and it put a little dent in the lip not even enough to raise safety concern i'm thinking they weren't manufactured correctly good luck and :whisper:Audi's are great:whisper:
I had a 2004 Audi Allroad that was nothing but a headache. During my 3-year lease, the damn thing had 5 flat tires...tires that were nearly impossible to find because Audi did not adequately stock its special Goodyear Allroad tire...nor did Goodyear. Then I had an accident, and Audi is also not know for its stellar parts supplies. On the other hand, if you live in a snowy area (and I do), Audi is the best! Trade off, I guess.

My GT will be delivered next Tuesday (10/23). Thanks for the heads-up on the wheel. Will keep an eye on it. Good luck with your new wheels.
Carol

Last edited by PropellerHead; 11-04-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Spam in quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Well, my problem wasn't the wheels. It was the fuel injectors. They have changed four, the other 4 are temperamental. They are clever whenever I am at dealership, they perform well. Once a while it flashes engine malfunction at night or away on weekends. The boot seems large but it runs of room quickly. It rides floaty and it is very heavy. I will never say this is a great car. It is a ok car. My lease is up in May, I will be a former owner at such time as well. If there is someone will takeover the lease, I will dump this thing early.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT xDrive
I've been reading this thread and to the OP I feel bad that you not only had a bad experience with the GT and BMW but that it was so bad that you felt the need to post a thread here about it.

I can only speak from my experience and it seems that GT owners who got the first MY 2010 GTs have had more issues than those like myself with 2012 GTs.

The only issue I've had was I started up the car and tried to pull out quickly in Manhattan on 7th Ave South and the computer brain-farted and the car went into limp mode. This occurred before the Nav display had fully loaded. But after I made it home I restarted the car and everything was fine.

I've never seen the issue again and I've been driving 10 months since that happened. Since that fault occurred I always start the car up and wait till the initial RPMs drop to idle and drive it gently in Normal mode until the oil temp raises a little at which point I switch into Sport mode.

But I feel the need to chime in with my opinions on my GT. Of all my BMWs, most of which were manual(or SMG) and 3 series:

1983 633csi
2000 328ci w/sport package
2003 M3 convertible w/hardtop SMG
2006 330xi (sedan)
2008 M3 convertible
2012 550i xDrive GT

This is by far my favorite car. Yes it can be a little floaty in Normal mode (which I only drive in to warm the vehicle up), Yes my MPG sucks. But man is this car fast, it's super stealth in my opinion.

3 weeks ago I drove to Boston for a wedding with 5 people and luggage, 2 of the passengers were 6'4"+ and we made it back in 3.5 hours door to door (just in time for the Jets game with everyone rested and comfortable. It was the first time I'd done that drive and my neck didn't hurt afterwards.

I've gotten 3 mountain bikes and 2 other passengers plus luggage into the GT with no problem.

I still drive extra careful when traversing narrow spaces (double parked FreshDirect trucks are a bitch) but all in all the car drives much smaller than it looks.

Is it faster and more maneuverable than my previous 3-series vehicles? Yes and no, the 20" rims go a long way to help with cornering. And despite cracking my head on the roofliner when I failed to see a freshly made and unlabeled speed bump in Williamsburg my rims are perfectly intact and no bubbles in my tires (Pirelli). (knock on wood)

My philosophy is that instead of having expectations when you drive any car you should pay attention to how the car was meant to be driven based on its capabilities.

If I'm driving a rental Chevy Malibu I'll find a way to whip it, but that's just how we drove growing up in Brooklyn and learning to drive on Flatbush Ave (the worst place in the US to drive IMHO).

Once again I feel sorry that some people have had issues with their GTs and that experience was so bad that a thread needed to be created expressing their angst. My experience with the GT is that it is a great vehicle and my favorite BMW to date, and that is coming from someone who has owned 2 M3 convertibles
Old 10-20-2012, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: 550i GT
Thumbs up New Oil Pump = No Engine Whine

After three visits, many calls I finally walked in and dropped 32 pages of threads dealing with engine whining from this forum. They explained that they would record the sound the car was making this time and send it to BMW. The next day they finally agreed to replace the oil pump and it arrived in two days. As a result, the new oil pump does not whine and the sound is gone. The car is as new once again. Furthermore, when I was picking up my car the advisor began telling me that he had two more come in just this week with the same issue. He also explained that the two cars that came in were not nearly as bad as my GT.
Although I am temporarily happy with the car again, I am certainly disappointed in the way BMW deals with owners. I have owned many brands and have never had to argue to get issues dealt with every time they arise.

The information from this forum allowed me to present the data that was actually included on the work order description which convinced them to resolve the issue, so thanks to all who contribute to the site.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Hello Bdman. This thread is my way of venting. Believe me I wish I didn't have to start it. My first thread on this site "I'm a 535i Gran Turismo owner now!" shows how excited I was about getting the car. I've even said in my comments on this thread, it's a great car. What drove me away from the car and the company was BMW's response to the problem. I admit, I'm not an expert on what would cause 2 cracks on 2 different wheels at 2 different times, with no outward evidence of damage to wheel or the tire on the wheel. I spent 28 plus years as a California Highway Patrol officer and have seen pretty must every type of damage to a vehicle there is and nothing like this. If I hit something hard enough that could crack a wheel, I would know and would have it checked because its a safety issue. Only reason I was aware of it was the loss of air pressure in the tire. Even you said after hitting something "when I failed to see a freshly made and unlabeled speed bump in Williamsburg my rims are perfectly intact and no bubbles in my tires (Pirelli). (knock on wood)." Mine could just be a bad batch of wheels with a manufacturing defect. I know how I drive and if I accept BMW's explanation for the cause of the cracks in 2 different wheels, then there are thousands of BMW owners driving around with cracked wheels that they have no idea of because normal everyday driving could crack them.

I spent a lot of money to buy the car, money I could have used to buy any other luxury car on the market but I chose BMW. The car was great, I won't trash it and I wish the best to everyone who owns one. How the company responded to my issue was not so great. From a customer relations and public relations viewpoint I think BMW could have done better. For safety reasons I think they have to do better. They chose not to. I can afford to buy a whole new set of wheels and tires for the car that might resolve the issue, but I would still have to deal with BMW on any other issues that might come up. I chose not to. So I took a huge loss on the car to move on, get away from the company and buy another company's luxury car to enjoy. Just had to vent a bit on my way out

Last edited by Tonomeis; 10-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Hate to hear of your experience BUT most BMW owners will tell you, Ultimate Driving Machine - Yes! Ultimate Customer Service - Meh hit or miss! Until this most recent GT purchase, mostly miss.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration

Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
It's interesting that BMW NA didn't step up to the plate and set you up with new rims. I'm not a fan of the stock wheels and would go nuts if I (1) experience cracks and (2) BMW has the nerve to ask 1000+ for an OEM replacement. Not something I would want to hear after having spent a small fortune on the car.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Bemo, A lot surprised me about BMW's response and you're right, they didn't step up. Thats why I moved on so quickly, at a very large financial loss, and no longer own the car. I did get a message from BMW NA yesterday, but so far have been to busy to return the call. Since I am a Lexus owner now there is little they can do for me. I did send them a detailed letter about the ordeal and my concerns about BMWs response to the issue, which is probably why I got the call. I'll speak with them tomorrow, see what they have to say, and with over 1000 views in 10 days, maybe tell them to take a look at this thread

Last edited by Tonomeis; 10-24-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
I'll go to "La La Land" for a second and say that the phone call better offer you reimbursement for the afore-mentioned loss to switch to a Lexus, and your troubles, as a way of hoping to lure you back at some point. Good luck and do return their call and update us with the final result!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
I'm sorry about your bad experience with BMW. I definitely feel they mistreated you and ultimately cost them a customer. I've been very lucky and haven't really had any major problems, but have had good experience with my service. I guess I all depends on which dealer you use. Maybe if you had a more customer friendly one you would still be in your 5GT. Anyways the new GS is a really nice car. I took an extended test drive and enjoyed it thoroughly. The nav screen was amazing!