Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 89 325I, 02 dodge cummins
ECU Mapping

What is a good software package for DIY fuel,ign, and vanos tuning.
I am looking at getting an E46 to replace my E30 and want to do my own mapping as I have the ability to dyno tune myself.

When it comes to HP some is good more is better and too much is just right
Advertisement
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_smith View Post
I am looking at getting an E46 to replace my E30 and want to do my own mapping as I have the ability to dyno tune myself.
Never seen or heard of such a thing (custom software) for the E46.....even the big guns like Dinan don`t have that in their arsenal. The "normal" stuff like the Conforti Shark, Dinan chip, etc., has not proven to be worth the price of admission.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 89 325I, 02 dodge cummins
what about people adding performance parts how are they remapping their ECU's?
Are they just getting maps from aftermarket suppliers or are they doing custom mapping?
Im basically looking for something like EFI Live for a BMW

When it comes to HP some is good more is better and too much is just right
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
what about people adding performance parts how are they remapping their ECU's?
Are they just getting maps from aftermarket suppliers or are they doing custom mapping?
Im basically looking for something like EFI Live for a BMW
You really need to start reading this Forum more often....these cars are not like Hondas, Camaros, Mustangs, etc. (i.e., all the bolt-on stuff that enhances those engines doesn`t work on BMWs). The only "performance parts" worth investing in is a supercharger, which is typically a $7500 (or more) investment, and comes with it`s own supporting electronics. Other than FI, there`s not much that will add any significant power.

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
You really need to start reading this Forum more often....these cars are not like Hondas, Camaros, Mustangs, etc. (i.e., all the bolt-on stuff that enhances those engines doesn`t work on BMWs). The only "performance parts" worth investing in is a supercharger, which is typically a $7500 (or more) investment, and comes with it`s own supporting electronics. Other than FI, there`s not much that will add any significant power.
i have to disagree with u Bob on this one, where i am, tuning shops do ECU remaps for around 600$ and give u an additional 15hp (dyno test seen)
if u have installed aftermarket parts expect the gain to increase even more
ECU remaps vary based on the company, i can't remember which company had that software, but i'm sure to have that remap once i get CAI and headers.
one thing though, will an ECU remap overwrite the Shark Injector software?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
i have to disagree with u Bob on this one, where i am, tuning shops do ECU remaps for around 600$ and give u an additional 15hp (dyno test seen)
if u have installed aftermarket parts expect the gain to increase even more
ECU remaps vary based on the company, i can't remember which company had that software, but i'm sure to have that remap once i get CAI and headers.
one thing though, will an ECU remap overwrite the Shark Injector software?
Sorry, but I`ll believe that one when I see it. And, Bucko, your car already HAS a CAI....the most effective one available. And yes, the overwrite would negate the Shark....

Seriously, man....you need to refocus your energy....you`re talking about spending a substantial amount of dough on all this crap, and FOR WHAT ???? **Maybe** your car will be a TENTH of a second faster in the quarter-mile ??? I fail to see the logic there.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Learning Daily

Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
i'd call around some tuning shops and see what they use.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
There is no need for the CAI. It will not give you more gains since the BMWs already have a true CAI. The headers, maybe around 15 hp. You should get cheap ones of ebay and ceramic coat them. BMWs are already well tuned from the factory. You may want to reset adaptations after that, but that is it.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Question is which E46 will you be getting?
Anything MS45 will be a challenge unless you have enough money to throw into Dimsport software/hardware or equal dealer style software going for $5,000 USD+

MS43 you can do with Tunerpro and extracting the DME BIN files. you will need the hardware to flash/extract. make changes in Tuner pro, I think there are a few with checksums already.

Or you can go with a piggy back.