Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 535d
navigation and stereo sound issue

This morning on my hour commute to work my 07 750 started a strange problem. I have researched and found nothing like what I am experiencing.

My navigation worked flawlessly yesterday on my 250 trip home from out of town. This morning it just says initializing... and it wont eject the disc.

Right along with that my stereo sound will cut out every 5 min or so and make a qucik high pitches sound for a brief sec then after about 5 sec of silence the sound comes back and works fine for another 5 min until it happens again.

I read somewhere how to reset the MOST bus system in the glove box so i unplugged that plastic ring for about a min, and that did not work.

Im thinking that if the stereo problem is being caused by the nav issue then all i need to do is figure out how to reset the nav and i should be fine, maybe thats me just trying to stay positive.

I have an appt at the dealer next week and I have 2000 miles left on my CPO and maint plan, however it specifically states it does not cover the stereo or navi.

Any info or help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li
Your NAV unit in the trunk has failed. The stereo goes out when the system tries to initialize the NAV unit, kind of like a reboot. That disrupts all the hardware on the fiber ring which is why your stereo goes off for a moment. You may find that after the NAV unit cools it may work again, but be assured it wil fail permanently soon. Look on eBay for a replacement.

Jer

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Well that make perfect sense....however I, still holding out hope wanted to try and pull fuses to reset the nav unit. It did not work and now I have a check engine light on that I have to clear out.

Could this issue with my nav unit be caused by using a nav disc I got from ebay that was an obvious copied disc. I started using that disc a few months ago though with no problems.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
I have had the same problem! Jerry 745Li has explained the reason perfectly!

I was going to say try cleaning the disc if its been in there ages, but you say its a new one, Have you got an original disc to try?

In the mean time remove the NAV and loop out the fibre connectors, i used a stiff bit of wire, a short rubber tube 3mm internal diameter and some tape! sorts out the audio issue!

Try pulling the power from the NAV to reset it.

Stuart
Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM

I can't get the nav to eject the disc to try the original.

Would I have to pull the unit put to unplug the power cord?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Could you explain in more detail how to bypass the nav system with the wire and tube and tape.

I'm assuming just just make everything work fine and makes it think that there is just no nav
Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Yeah, you need to remove the NAV unit, pull the plugs on the back. Try reconnecting and see if resetting it makes any difference.

If not, the larger of the connectors on the rear will have two fibre optic cables entering it. You can remove a little module from the larger housing that has just the fibres in.

The small module has a blue tab, push this out and then gently release the tabs holding the fibres in place, be careful! Don't bend the fibres too much.

Simply push the fibres into the rubber tube facing each other and tape them to a stiff bit of wire to hold them in position.

This will allow you to use the rest of the idrive until you get a new NAV.

Stuart
Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: Forddddd
Do 3rd party warranties cover this..since the CPO doesn't......
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM

After my week long stay at the dealership they tell me they can replace my unit for 1500.

Any ideas of a good place to check for a better price?

Or is there anything else I could spend 1500 on that would fix the sound issue while giving me options like iPod video on the idrive
Old 11-14-2012, 05:56 PM

Well this issue is solved if only temporarily with the help and advice of stuartjohn24. Thanks very much

It amazes me what I can do with my car with the help of this community