Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: X1
BMW Tire & Wheel Protection

My husband and I were picking up 2 BMWs yesterday from the dealer. We had visited the dealership last week and decided on 2 models and completed the credit app. The Sales Manager gave us 2 separate quotes for the lease payment on each car. When we went to pick up the cars we were in the finance office ready to give our down payment based on the info we received previously from the Sales Manager. The Finance Manager tells us about two options we can now take advantage of (BMW Tire & Wheel Protection & Paint & Interior Protection) for an additional fee which will now increase our monthly lease payment on each car. We were really shocked and upset that they waited until the last moment to bring up these options which did not allow us to do any research as to whether they were worthwhile. My question is - did anyone else close a deal on their car with these options offered at the last minute? Thanks, Suzi
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Firstly, you don't need, in any way, the dealer-offered paint and interior protection. It is an overpriced trinket the dealers offer, and is really nothing more than a good wax and sealant that you can do yourself or get done independently much cheaper than the dealer's price.

Tire and wheel protection (or insurance) CAN be useful if the roads where you live are in poor condition (potholes, broken pavement, etc); BUT often the price of the protection is high, and you can "self-insure" for a lot less. If offered by BMW NA itself, it may be useful; if offered by a third party insurer, I would pass.

Sounds like this dealer is playing the usual games more often associated with "Detroit" products. Sounds rather unprofessionl to me.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 07 E92 328i,11 135i,10 Fj
Just get the cars waxed at the car wash for $39.00 next time you get it washed or do it yourself. In the unlikely event you damage or pop a tire simply get it replaced if that even happens. No need to up your payment for the term of the lease.

And yes, when purchasing my Toyota they threw these sealant, protectant thing in at the very last minute. During the last bit of paperwork.

Last edited by Jason @ BMS; 11-07-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E63 TT S-model
You mention it's a lease and the rim protection would ONLY be a good choice if you encounter bad roads on a daily basis. Just for a piece of mind for the end.

I had that for my vehicle back in 2008 by maxguard and the fine print was a pain. Since it was a purchase and not a lease, instill bought it because I was not aware that many people actually sell their OEMs for dirt cheap compared to dealers.