Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-10-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
iPhone connected to USB doesn't output audio to car speaker

I get this almost all the time. I step into my car, plug my iPhone into the USB jack. The iDrive then connects, but the music comes out of the iPhone speaker and not the car's speakers. I have unplug the USB and re-plug it 3 or 4 times before the audio comes out of the car's speakers. Anyone else get this issue... Or more importantly a solution?
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Do you have the BMW connector for the iPhone? You can play music from the iPhone using Bluetooth.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM

What is the BMW connector? I have a USB dock connector going from the center console to the iPhone.

I don't like using the bluetooth for the music cause bluetooth output is lower fidelity audio, plus you can't navigate the music playlists, albums, etc through the iDrive display with the bluetooth.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: x3
There is another Y shaped connector that uses the USB powering the IPhone, but the other wire uses the headphone jack to play the music. You control the song list through IDrive. Not sure if there is a new connector for the IPhone 5.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 xDrive35i
My iphone 4 (and now iphone 5) transmit audio to the X3 just fine when connected to the usb connector in the center console.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by link01 View Post
I get this almost all the time. I step into my car, plug my iPhone into the USB jack. The iDrive then connects, but the music comes out of the iPhone speaker and not the car's speakers. I have unplug the USB and re-plug it 3 or 4 times before the audio comes out of the car's speakers. Anyone else get this issue... Or more importantly a solution?
You have to select External Devices and then USB. It should work
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
You have to select External Devices and then USB. It should work
I do that.. when I get to "External Devices" it shows my phone over USB. Same result.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by link01 View Post
Anyone else get this issue...
No, mine works fine first time. Does your phone do this on any similar systems that offer dock connector control, such as boom boxes or speakers with docks? If so, it's probably the phone, if not then it's probably your car.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManGray View Post
No, mine works fine first time. Does your phone do this on any similar systems that offer dock connector control, such as boom boxes or speakers with docks? If so, it's probably the phone, if not then it's probably your car.
Good suggestion... I just don't have any other systems with a dock connector control.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM

Ok I figured out a solution. Though I still don't know why it happens. When I plug the iPhone into the USB dock connector and start hearing the music coming from the iPhone's speakers, I open the Music app (and it has an Accessories Connected screen showing) then I hold down the home button. The Voice input screen comes up and I cancel that. Then the music starts playing through my car's speakers. I've done this same technique 3 times already and it works. Also after doing this, the Music app then has a bar at the bottom of the screen saying the music is playing through "Dock Connector".