Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i
Consumer Reports

The latest Consumer Reports shows the 2013 X3 35i to have a much higher repairs rating
than almost every other mid luxury SUV.
Very surprised at this. Thoughts from others?
Ads by Google
Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Also see this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=657073
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Pace CAPT

Mein Auto: 2011 528i; 2013 X3 28i
Just a thought on the Consumer Reports article...don't fret it! I have been driving for over 35 years and have never purchased a car based on "resale value". If I had been worried about resale then I wouldn't have bought a "new" car (remember the biggest depreciation is driving it off the lot!). Bottom line is I researched my vehicles, test drove, found one I liked, worked a deal and then enjoyed driving my new car. If you are on this site then you enjoy owning a BMW (like millions of other owners). So have fun with your car and when it comes time to trade or sell it remember that you bought a BMW because it is the "Ultimate Driving Machine" not the max resale machine! Cars are not an investment they are a tool or a toy, depending on the owner.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
Are we talking repair costs, or resale value?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Pace CAPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPearl View Post
Are we talking repair costs, or resale value?
I think both are tied together, but read the thread link that Sadi posted above. It addresses resale values.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 09 honda civic
I'm surprised as well, perhaps CR surveys are picking up throttle lag as one of the issues. I recall reading that it was fixed with MY13. Or was that issue only with the 28i?

At this point I'm wondering if I should get a 28i instead
Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 35i
Just wanted to hear some perspective on this in case there was a 'major' issue. Not hearing any, I will be purchasing, next spring, my first BMW, an X3 35i !!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Pace CAPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogX3 View Post
I'm surprised as well, perhaps CR surveys are picking up throttle lag as one of the issues. I recall reading that it was fixed with MY13. Or was that issue only with the 28i?

At this point I'm wondering if I should get a 28i instead
I purchased my 2013 X3 28i in September and have had no issues (zero throttle lag). I also have a 2011 528i and it does have the lag issues.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Consumer Reports

I was the original poster on the other site referenced by a responder.

The CR article actually dealt with reliability being 80% below average, and even if their statistics are off a bit, it's still a pretty poor showing, at least in my opinion. In fact, it was the lowest in its class, which left me stunned.

But I do like driving my 2012 X35i, though it has a habit of drifting to the right, which bugs me, and the service folks haven't been able to fix it.

That's a minor issue, and I do agree with the person who responded by saying that the car's role is to be driven and enjoyed as such. Its reliability rating must have some adverse impact on residual or resale value, though, but it's true that on a day to day basis, one drives for enjoyment, safety and comfort, though not in that order and not for resale value.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-11-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: E30 M3, 2012 X3
Unhappy Declining BMW Quality

I have not read the CR issue though I have seen the comments Richard and others have posted here. My title is based solely on my experience with BMW's since my first in 1983, a 320i.

The last two, a 2004 325Ci and this 2012 X3 28i have been had issues I never experienced with any of the other BMW's I have owned. That list includes 3's 5's 7's and M cars. Things like the interior trim issues with the E46 coupes that BMW also denied was an issue on more than "a couple cars" but it was well known in the forums I participate in as well as BMW CCA members I know.

Regardless, the problems of quality that seem to be surfacing are issues that I have never even experienced with vehicles costing much less than my BMW's. I don't mind paying a premium price for a "Premium" vehicle. I do not appreciate paying that premium price and receiving a much less than premium vehicle.

Woody
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Runon MD1

Consumer Reports

I find it particularly rankling to have BMW fail to include a Y-connector to connect an iPod on its 2012 X35i, though it does on the X28i. I don't know about the 2013s, though.

One would think that, if anything, it would be the reverse, even though if one can afford the car, the connector shouldn't be a major issue.

But somehow it's the little things like that that can be aggravating, at least to me.

When I called and asked a consumer rep at BMW NA if a retailer would sell a TV or expensive stereo or Internet system without a remote or a power source or whatever, and whether BMW felt that it would be worth it to lose a customer to save a few dollars, the genius replied, "Well, we're talking about a vehicle, not a TV, and we feel our vehicles are the best, but you are free to choose another brand." She suggested that I take it up with the dealer where I purchased the car.

So when I did, calling Encinitas BMW where I purchased that new vehicle and have two cars serviced, they also said "Nope. Can't help you."

So I will vote with my feet, as it were, and they have lost me as a client. But the pity is that I clearly mean absolutely nothing to them, nobody will know, and nobody will care.

And there you have it.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-12-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 09 honda civic
Thank you, all of your comments are helpful. It's sad to hear about these quality issues. CR's finding that reliability is 70% below average is specifically based on the 35i model years 2011 ad 2012. The 28i looks closer to average, however that engine has been discontinued. The big question at this point is how will the N20 engine in the 2013 model year in the 28i will stand up over time. I'm thinking that if the BMW reliability is in doubt i may as well wait for the upcoming Porsche Macan.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: R1150R+
So, your telling us that you will quit a certain car brand & bad mouth a dealer over a cheapo item that the Chinese make for $10? Seems to be a bit "thin-skinned" to me? You are not a car person as such but far to engrossed in the ipod thing...Maybe an i pod website would allow you a bit more latitude?
Seriously that's what you call an issue about a car???
Let's talk cars here!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
So, your telling us that you will quit a certain car brand & bad mouth a dealer over a cheapo item that the Chinese make for $10? Seems to be a bit "thin-skinned" to me? You are not a car person as such but far to engrossed in the ipod thing...Maybe an i pod website would allow you a bit more latitude?
Let's talk cars here!
I wonder why every single car manufacturer pursuing adding an "i pod" interface into their vehicles. We should write a letter to BMW, requesting them to stop development on their next Generation I-Drive and Connected Drive platforms for the "i pod" as it is not a "car" thing.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Let's talk cars here!

I agree with him as it shows a systemic problem. Little problems are usually like tremors.

As I have said many times, part of purchasing a "Higher End" vehicle is also the customer service. One of the reasons I did not "Re Up" on a BMW was due to the poor customer service my dealer and BMWNA displayed on too many an occasion.

Wongway..you have way too much time on your hands, Lol.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

Wongway..you have way too much time on your hands, Lol.
Does keep life interesting though doesn't it?

If there's anything that I think we've learned in our past experiences with our E83 models, there's a truck ton of information that can be garnered now via "search" that we just didn't have access to in the past. From the E83's transmission programming quirks in the 07-10 models, to things like sunroof issues and the like.

I know simply from reading news reports, car makers are inundated with a host of recalls like Jeep's latest with airbags, Toyota has too many to count or list these days. BMW's had it's share as well with the High Pressure Fuel Pumps. I do recall people on the BMW forums harping over that fuel pump prior to the recall announcement.

Great thing about searching forums like these is that you learn to catch potential issues long before they can effect you sometimes. Take a Google search of Audi and Cam Follower as an example. (I wonder Evlengr, if you ever had an Audi with that problem in your past?) I'd imagine that your past history of vehicles has pretty much told you no car maker is without "quirks" you end up living with. Heck, a lot of the times, you can find and see all the potential issues with new models before jumping in with two feet with your own purchase.

I've dealt with my fair share of quirks in the past with vehicles. Heck, I've got an S550 right now that chews through tires in 8000 miles or less no matter which brand or model of tire I've thrown at it. 16,000 miles and it's on it's 4th set of tires now. From everything I've searched for, it's just something that I'll have to live with being such a heavy car. C'est la vie

As it were, reading, comprehension, research go a long way to figuring out the reason for a lot of things. I'm sure most people have figured this out a long time ago, or else these boards wouldn't be here in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runon MD1 View Post
I don't know how many times or in how many different ways I can say this, but I honestly believe that (1) if a lower-priced model in the same series comes with a part integral to the operation of a commonly used product, the upscale model should as well, and (2) it is not at all unusual for brands to value their frequent and/or best customers, and should, as they tend to be more profitable over the long term. Asking for consideration, and indeed expecting a degree of acknowledgement is not a sin, at least as I see it, though Wrongway disagrees. But I'm ok with my position and with the fact that he sees things differently.
You know, the answer has been stated here, repeatedly, yet it still hasn't sunk in. So I'll try just one more time in black and white:
Your 35i, the pricier model, has two available connectors for an Apple product.
1) Standard USB port and
2) Smartphone Integration

Someone else's 28i does not have the Smartphone Integration package built in.

Because of the lack of this higher end feature that allows for a common Apple product (iPhone) to connect with the BMW, the 28i had to make do with the inclusion of the aforementioned Y-cable. (Well, the smartphone integration does happen to allow things like my Android phone to work with the BMW as well, but I digress)

X35i with Smartphone Integration allows for a wider variety of advanced electronics to connect.
X28i does not and makes do with lower tech connections and is equipped as such.

You know, I've had plenty of experiences with BMW's customer service or lack thereof in the past. I've used 3 different BMW dealers from one end of the state to the next. Overall, they do quite a bit to take care of their customers. Whether they've bought one car or ten. It would behoove them to do so since the customer that buys one today, might end up being a lifetime customer that buys 20.

Now, when things are directly attributable to BMW, I've had quite a bit of success in having them take care of it with no questions asked, and they've even gone over and above. Two situations come to mind.
1) Long out of warranty X3 seat heater burned a hole in the seat.
Not only did they replace the failed part, but they went over and above and replaced the entire seat with a loaner car to boot while they ordered the part(s) and fixed it. All on a vehicle that had over 100,000 miles on it.
2) After a routine oil change, about a quart of oil ended up on the floor of my garage.
Customer service, without knowing if it was their fault or mine, loaned me a GT 5 series, and sent me on my way with a $50 gas card and told me to call back Monday when their mechanics were back to work (it was 6:00PM on a Friday) Turns out, the mechanic failed to properly torque the oil filter. No charge for anything.

When it can't be ascertained whether or not it is a BMW fault, it is definitely like getting the run around (Anyone who has had problems with the 2007+ E83 Automatic transmission programming could probably attest to this)

Here's where I address Runon's point #2:
BMW can only cover so many models and iterations of the iPod. Your Apple product might not play nice with their BMW. Not their problem and could very well be yours. Not their responsibility to bend over backwards for what could be an out of date iPod that isn't fully supported. Get an iPhone. Or a newer iPod that plays nicer.
Apple != BMW's responsibility.
(For those not in the know, "!=" would be the equivalent of "Not equal to")

The fact that BMW (or any auto manufacturer for that matter) even includes available options for you to use another company's equipment in their vehicle (especially to utilize some of the more advanced features like MP3 tag display and wireless fast forwarding or rewinding) is a nod to customer service in and of itself.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:

I find it particularly rankling to have BMW fail to include a Y-connector to connect an iPod on its 2012 X35i, though it does on the X28i. I don't know about the 2013s, though.

One would think that, if anything, it would be the reverse, even though if one can afford the car, the connector shouldn't be a major issue.

But somehow it's the little things like that that can be aggravating, at least to me.

When I called and asked a consumer rep at BMW NA if a retailer would sell a TV or expensive stereo or Internet system without a remote or a power source or whatever, and whether BMW felt that it would be worth it to lose a customer to save a few dollars, the genius replied, "Well, we're talking about a vehicle, not a TV, and we feel our vehicles are the best, but you are free to choose another brand." She suggested that I take it up with the dealer where I purchased the car.

So when I did, calling Encinitas BMW where I purchased that new vehicle and have two cars serviced, they also said "Nope. Can't help you."

So I will vote with my feet, as it were, and they have lost me as a client. But the pity is that I clearly mean absolutely nothing to them, nobody will know, and nobody will care.

And there you have it.

Richard
You don't need a y-connector anyway. I just use the cable that came with my i-Pod and plug it into the usb port, works great and I don't need a special cable from BMW. Plus I think you expectation is a little unrealistic, is BMW suppose to provide you a cable for every MP3 brand you might own.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 PM
2011 X3 35i

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Low Speed Throttle Response Continues to Irritate

Forum members, I thought I would share with you a portion of what I just communicated to BMW Customer Relations:

Dear BMW Customer Relations:

My wife and I love many aspects of our 2011 X3 35i. We had an absolute blast at the Performance Center Delivery in the Fall of 2011!

There is a significant, persistent issue that has not been resolved to our satisfaction, despite 2 service appointments. Throttle behavior at low speed is unpredictable and erratic to a degree that it keeps me on edge. My wife now looks for reasons to not drive the car. It is very difficult for either of us to perform gentle throttle manipulations at low speed without the car either momentarily hesitating or shooting off like a rocket. Likewise, when slowing down and then resuming posted speeds in situations like a traffic light transitioning from red to green, there is a similar difficulty predicting what will result from gentle throttle inputs. In other scenarios, the engine is a marvelous and velvety smooth beast.

Back in April 2012, we had the following update performed at Gault BMW in Endicott NY:

“A new software calibration was just released for this engine:
SIB 24 02 12
Subject:
N52T/N55 with 8HP45: Delay in Engine Response
Model
F25 with either N52T or N55 engines and 8HP45 transmission up to 1/16/2012
Situation
When slowing down to lower suburban road speeds and then reaccelerating, a delay in engine response may be experienced
Cause
Unfavorable EGS and DME software calibration
Correction
Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.46.0 or higher”

After the above update, one behavior I didn’t mention above was totally resolved: an RPM surge on cold start…esp with the A/C on. I think that problem was associated with a different service bulletin. So that’s the good part. We continued, however, to experience the erratic throttle behaviors I described above. I noticed an additional behavior as well. On a cold start during the summer months (our first summer with the car), if you don’t wait for the RPMs to stabilize and if you attempt to drive away, the engine can stall. It has done this on two occasions, requiring a restart. I work around the irritation by waiting about 15 seconds for the RPMs to settle down before driving off. Again, this problem may have existed since day one and I may have just noticed it during our first summer.

In October, we took the car back to Gault BMW. The friendly service staff and technicians could not find any codes and confirmed the SW update was correctly performed back in April. Again, they were very professional and supportive, but were unable to solve the problem. We’ve been Acura customers since the mid-1990’s and decided to give BMW a try last year. There is so much to love about our X3, but this problem is a definite sore spot. We would greatly appreciate if BMW would get to the root cause of this problem.

I will update this thread when I have anything significant to share. Thanks
Old 11-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Runon MD1

Consumer Reports

To KantucKid:

Of course not.

It was the cable issue on top of the sales person's partner at the dealership (he had nothing whatsoever to do with the sale) calling me after I answered the customer survey honestly, giving the highest marks where due and somewhat lower (though far from the lowest) marks when indicated.

He told me, actually yelling, that he distinctly told me to mark everything on the survey "truly exceptional" (what is that, anyway?), as if I was his trained monkey, that I had cost him and his children thousands of dollars, and that if I ever needed anything, he would, in essence, see to it that I didn't get it.

WTF???

So that's it for the dealer. Oh...he still works there, naturally. Others have posted similar experiences with him, by the way.

And I don't expect a cable for every device I own, which is a really silly comment. Apart from the fact that the iPod isn't really an obscure item, for which a cable would be a reasonable expectation, KK misses his own point...why doesn't BMW provide a cable costing it $10 in its $50,000 cars, including the X35i as it does in the X28i? It seems to me that if it did in either, it should be in its more upscale and pricier model, unless I'm missing something.

In response to another poster, who was polite enough to respond without coming across as a jerk by being insulting, my standard iPod cable did not work in my new car, which the service rep told me requires a Y cable. I would add that there are many times when the Y cable, which I purchased, doesn't recognize the iPod (yes, both plugs are in securely).

As to the car brand, I suppose that most manufacturers act the same, so KK probably has a point in that regard.

I don't believe that I am "thin-skinned." I try to look at the overall pros and cons, and act accordingly, as I suspect most of us do.

Thanks for the cordial responses to my post. I am always willing to listen, learn, and admit when I am wrong, but, being human, I typically consider and often respond to and/or act upon suggestions and corrections when offered in a civil manner, without statements as to me that are wildly inaccurate, mean-spirited or accusatory, and which are baseless at best.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-24-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Runon MD1

Consumer Reports

One other thing, Kantuckid...I was not aware that you knew me well enough to decide whether I am or am not a "car person," or whatever. The fact of the matter is that I consider myself to be one, though, given our long relationship based upon one posting, you somehow feel qualified to assess that part of me. Rest assured that I will give your opinion the weight it deserves, though you of course have the right to your analysis of my persona, hobbies, etc., inasmuch as you are no doubt highly trained in such.

It occurs to me that right is right, regardless of what is involved, its cost and/or where it may have been manufactured. You see, KK, there is excellence in terms of customer service (think Nordstrom, Zappos, etc.), and then there is everything else, as in an attitude of, "It's good enough," or, "We have your money, so you can just go pound sand."

To me, however, "good enough" never, ever is...but that's just my opinion, and as you have declared me to be a non-car person, my view on a given matter can be summarily disregarded.

But just think about what my feelings would now be if BMW had said, in effect, "We can see that you've purchased 4 new BMWs within the past 4 years and have them serviced at our dealers (I told them so when I called BMW NA and politely and calmly addressed the problem), so that as an exception, we are sending you a voucher for the iPod connector (or a credit toward parts or service in that amount). We hope that you will continue to enjoy your BMWs, and we look forward to a long-term mutually beneficial relationship."

So...the equation is, as you put it, a part that would have cost BMW $10 as opposed to an action leading to a disgruntled client, who has held up his part of the bargain by being brand loyal.

Which makes more sense from a business standpoint? I have now written a post that will convey my disappointment to thousands, and if just one single reader decides to go with Mercedes or Audi or Lexus (don't be inane by talking about Lexus vs. BMW...you get my point), that will cost BMW thousands in profit, as opposed to a cost of $10.

Do the proverbial "math."

So...given the above, do you really think that my issue is my being "too, invested (and, by the way, it's "too" not "to" and it's "you're" not "your") in an iPod connector"?

However, in the spirit of bonhomie (you can look it up), I hope your holiday was a good one.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-24-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
To KantucKid:

Of course not.

It was the cable issue on top of the sales person's partner at the dealership (he had nothing whatsoever to do with the sale) calling me after I answered the customer survey honestly, giving the highest marks where due and somewhat lower (though far from the lowest) marks when indicated.

WTF???

So that's it for the dealer. Oh...he still works there, naturally. Others have posted similar experiences with him, by the way.

And I don't expect a cable for every device I own, which is a really silly comment. Apart from the fact that the iPod isn't really an obscure item, for which a cable would be a reasonable expectation, KK misses his own point...why doesn't BMW provide a cable costing it $10 in its $50,000 cars, including the X35i as it does in the X28i? It seems to me that if it did in either, it should be in its more upscale and pricier model, unless I'm missing something.

In response to another poster, who was polite enough to respond without coming across as a jerk by being insulting, my standard iPod cable did not work in my new car, which the service rep told me requires a Y cable. I would add that there are many times when the Y cable, which I purchased, doesn't recognize the iPod (yes, both plugs are in securely).

As to the car brand, I suppose that most manufacturers act the same, so KK probably has a point in that regard.

I don't believe that I am "thin-skinned." I try to look at the overall pros and cons, and act accordingly, as I suspect most of us do.

Thanks for the cordial responses to my post. I am always willing to listen, learn, and admit when I am wrong, but, being human, I typically consider and often respond to and/or act upon suggestions and corrections when offered in a civil manner, without statements as to me that are wildly inaccurate, mean-spirited or accusatory, and which are baseless at best.

Richard

He told me, actually yelling, that he distinctly told me to mark everything on the survey "truly exceptional" (what is that, anyway?), as if I was his trained monkey, that I had cost him and his children thousands of dollars, and that if I ever needed anything, he would, in essence, see to it that I didn't get it.

If you have more dealers around you, i hope you switched. No one has the right to tell me how my customer survey should be graded.
s

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:

And there you have it.

Richard

Translation: I've spent plenty of money here, gimme more free stuff!

Entitlement is such a beautiful thing to behold!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Runon MD1

Consumer Reports

And you in fact did read my post, (or actually didn't read it) the wrong way, so that at least you come by your screen name honestly.

I don't believe that I am entitled to "more free stuff," but wonder why you seem to think it makes sense to include an item (costing $10 for BMW to obtain, as I am informed by another poster) in the same line or series of vehicle but at or in a lower or lesser model, and not in the more expensive one. But, then, I guess it's just my sense of entitlement that has me confused.

It would appear that the airlines also need your help with their mileage plans, and their more loyal or frequent passengers have also missed the point. They clearly need your guidance and wisdom, and, above all, your off-point snide commentary, inasmuch as they are gearing their passenger status configurations to dollars spent, which you apparently feel makes such status flyers somehow elitist, undeserving and unworthy of the benefits of their continued patronage.

But, not unlike BMW's representative's response when I asked her if she thought that a TV should not come with a remote, "We're talking about a car, not a TV," you no doubt will, in similar vein, respond, "We're talking about acknowledgement of loyalty to a car brand, not to an airline."

Remind you of anything I said? Yep, the fact that I have, in fact, purchased several of their products, though clearly not as many as several on this site, not that that matters. It just seems to me that that loyalty should indeed be rewarded, and, if that makes me guilty of the "sin" of entitlement in your eyes, knock yourself out, trust me, amigo...I can handle it.

You have totally missed the point, as, to me, it is a simple matter of BMW having made a business decision as to the up front cost of $10, assuming that that cost is accurate, as opposed to my purchasing a different brand and/or someone doing the same after learning of my experience with BMW at the cost of tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

DOH!

It's all about the manufacturer being appreciative of the purchaser as a customer and its interest in what its brand stands for and wants to be. Those who demonstrate that they do seem to prosper. Those who don't often take a hit to their brand, whether on Yelp, Bimmerfest, or what have you.

You have taken far more of my time than you deserve. You are entitled to your opinion, including that of me. As stated above, it and you could not possibly be more inconsequential.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-29-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Here's the problem...

iPods are NOT in any way obscure. However, the problem is in the many different iterations of the iPod. Of the 30pin connector variety, there are several that are not fully 100% compatible depending on the generation of iPod. Then of course, there is the new 19pin connector that also causes headaches for compatibility.

Ahh, but ignorance of these details should be BMW's responsibility? I forget how Apple's changes to hardware might be the responsibility of the car manufacturer...

Then on top of that, let's also make note of the fact that what and how an iPod is compatible is also dictated by the level of equipment in each varying audio package (or lack thereof). USB/Bluetooth has varying levels of compatibility compared to the standard iPod connector and also whether or not the vehicle is equipped with navigation.

Ignorance of these items should also be BMW's responsibility?

As someone else posted earlier, the Y-connector is not absolutely necessary to use an iPod with a BMW. (You know, I've been using my iPod without a Y-connector all this time! I should get a free one too!!)

In any case, I doubt anyone else would care that you left a vehicle brand because you couldn't figure out how to get an iPod to play nice with a car.

By all means, continue to feel entitled to your iPod cable. Justify that with all your arguments about how they should bend over backwards for you because you bought a(4) BMW(s) or whatever service or extras they should provide for you because you bought a BMW. In fact, I think everyone should go to their dealers and stamp their feet with pouty faces for free cables and stuff because they bought a BMW and they should have what's in that other car!

People will continue to buy cars to drive in. The world will keep turning.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM
Runon MD1

Consumer Reports

Thanks for the response, which was, for the most part, more civil than your earlier one, apart from the infantile idiotic drivel about "pouty faces and stamping feet" you seem to be unable to stop yourself from spouting, while attempting to lay it at my feet. Sorry, but it's, "Return to Sender."

You are off point in that I don't expect BMW to provide me with the connector I need, but, rather, a connector, as it does in the X28i, which is, again, as you don't seem to get it, a lower priced model in the same series. Why not simply provide it in both models, or neither? If you bought a new three-bedroom house that was identical in every way to a new two-bedroom home next door at the same time in the same community, same view, etc., and the two-bedroom, which costs less, came with a swimming pool while the three-bedroom did not...oh, never mind. I give up.

You are also incorrect in your rather odd assumption, based on nothing, that I somehow demand or expect that BMW match Apple's every new iteration, and must give me a new part each and every time it releases a new iPod or whatever. You and you alone have somehow decided that that is my position or expectation. Nope...sorry, Chuckles. It ain't.

Regardless of your experience with connectors, and/or that of others, which I hope you can understand doesn't help me, my standard connector did not work in my vehicle, after which the chief parts tech at my dealership tried mine and a second one (after the service tech confirmed that it wasn't working), and confirmed that the standard connectors didn't work, and told me that I had to purchase a Y-connector at around $100 (a $10 part, remember), which I did. It worked. Oh, well.

I also purchased the newer pin connector from Apple, so it's not about the dollars.

And I see nothing wrong with a vendor or manufacturer taking brand loyalty into consideration, or a long-term customer or client expecting that his or her patronage is appreciated and indeed rewarded. Your position would suggest that expectation of consideration based upon repeat patronage somehow smacks of elitism or entitlement, and that my having spent over $250,000 not only can but should be disregarded. However, even if it can or should be doesn't answer the question of why the connector isn't provided in the first place (in the X35i). It still doesn't make sense to me.

No two people are alike, and I would note that when I feel that something is not right, I am prone to speak up and act accordingly, regardless of whether you or others agree or whether my actions impact upon the world as we know or see it. Of course they don't. You are of course free to disagree and think less of me (if that is possible from your exalted position on high), and even continue to mock me (instead of yourself), as that seems to suit you, as you appear to have a rather deep-rooted, no doubt inadequacy-driven need to do so in a vain effort to compensate and make it "awww bettuw," as it were. Absent that, you would simply keep your views re me to yourself, rather than showing everyone your (as well as that you're an) ass by persisting and perseverating in and by doing so.

Why not just let it go? I'm so sick of you and your smugness that I'm willing to admit that you're right and I'm totally wrong, which is no doubt your norm in beating others into submission out of sheer exhaustion and unwillingness to suffer your presence any longer. Your wife (or ex) and therapist have told you the same, but, then, you know that truth without being told.

There, poochie-kins! You win! Yaay! All better now?

Best,

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 12-02-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Grammar