Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: '14 458 Coupe
BMW Voice Commands

Hi Everyone...new member here. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a nicely equipped black sapphire/black full leather 650GC. I am coming out of a '12 Audi A8 and had a question/concern about the voice command (VC) in the BMW.

The Audi has an amazing infotainment system including a VC system that is great. For example, I could hit the VC steering wheel button and say "Dial John Smith mobile", the system displays the info on the screen and asks "Would you like to dial the number?". While the system is responding, I would hit the VC button again (which interrupts the system's feedback) and say "yes". That's it. It's now dialing this contact's mobile number.

The contact directory form my iPhone is loaded into the system each time I start the car so I never had to make any sort of entries.

When I test drove the 650GC on Friday, I paired my iPhone and attempted the same type of scenario. It wouldn't work. It would bring up my redial list.

Is the BMW system not capable? Am I doing something wrong? The salesman wasn't sure so I am turning to the forum for help. Thanks in advance.

Jon
Ads by Google
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: range rover
I don't know the answer to your question since my GC isn't here yet, but I am sure someone will chime in soon.

I am wondering why you are getting rid of your A8. I was thinking of getting an S8 at one point but was drawn to the looks of the GC. Was there something you didn't like about the A8 or did you just want something new?
Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Funny you should ask....

I have a S8 on order due at the end of the year. Here's the problem...the lease program is a total joke. I need to lease the car since I need the write off. Even at $500 over invoice, the S8 payment is around $600 more than the GC.

The MSRP on the S8 is $114,195. The GC is $108,745. It's a matter of principle at this point for me.

I loved my Audi for many reasons, but it's too slow and cushy for me. I wanted a little more fun. I sold the A8 yesterday so I need a car since my other car is not a daily driver.

I also considered the CLS 63 AMG, but those are like needles in a haystack. Virtually none around. I drove the CLS 550 which really surprised me since I found it virtually as quick as my previous CLS 55. IMO the CLS 550 also handled quite a bit better than the GC. Much less body roll and a smaller feel to the car. I don't know why, but something about the CLS 550 just doesn't do it for me.

I also really like the 5th seat since I have 4 kids. It's infrequent that I have all of them in my car (we have a QX-56 for that), but once in a while it may happen. That's another draw to the GC.

I love the look of the GC and think the interior is absolutely amazing, but the handling and infotainment system might be a killer for me. I want to like the car more since I love the look so much. Hopefully I will get some answers that will allow me to move forward.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 PM

I don't know if you have time to wait, but the m6 gran coupe could possibly fix both your handling and infotainment issue since it will have the upgraded system. Although I am guessing the current model can do what your asking, since I had range rovers from 06 that could do that and the range rover infotainment systems are always behind the times.

http://www.6post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767091
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Can't wait. Already freaking out and I just sold my Audi yesterday. However, you are correct that should resolve all the issues and then some.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
The current VC system does seem to be lacking. The new system should be the fix, which is why I think BMW is rolling it out. It should hit the GC soon but it doesn't sound like you can wait.

Tim
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 AM

Will the new system be available on previously purchased cars? I would hope since it should only be a software update. When is it supposed to come out? Thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Administrator

It is a combination of new hardware and software so I don't think all the features will be reverse compatible, if any. More details here -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=632906

I'm checking to see if I can get a concrete date when it will hit the GC. There have been some speculation dates but my sources have said those are incorrect.

Tim
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 AM

There are companies like this though that offer retrofits, so hopefully we could purchase it from them sooner or later. http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/portal/shop/

I am guessing it will only be a new combo box, I doubt the screen is any different.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Administrator

The screen might not be (cannot confirm) but the idrive control is, as is the processor. Is the combo box the "computer" that runs iDrive?

Tim
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
The screen might not be (cannot confirm) but the idrive control is, as is the processor. Is the combo box the "computer" that runs iDrive?

Tim
Yeah the combo box is the "computer", is the idrive control different even on the non touch version?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator

How much does the combo box run? Seems like that would be an expensive replacement part.

I didn't know there was too iDrive controller options, must have missed that.

Tim
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
How much does the combo box run? Seems like that would be an expensive replacement part.

I didn't know there was too iDrive controller options, must have missed that.

Tim
Yeah there are two different upgrades. One is just a combo box upgrade, and the other is a combo box upgrade with itouch controller.

The current U.S cars that got an upgrade only got the combo box upgrade, supposedly the itouch upgrade will start rolling out on some my2014's in the U.S.

I have no clue what the new combo box will cost but here is the price for the current one.

http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/portal.../brc04p02.html