Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 03 bmw 325ci
Help Please

First I want to say sorry if their is allready a post for this. I Could not find anything with similar problems.

I have an 03 325ci manual transmission drove it last night with no problems and havnt had any problem with the clutch or trannie. I went to leave my house this morning and when i went to leave I put the car in reverse but it wouldnt move. I cant hear the car go in to every gear but it just wont move. I check the fluid and its full. had not problem driving the night before and I have never felt the clutch slip or had any problems with any of the gear. Any Idea on what to look for?
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
This post does not make any sense....please explain, *step by step*, what happens after you start the engine. Or make a video and post it here....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM

sorry it appear the my transmission is not engage into the motor. I can feel and hear each gear switch in the gear box so i know its not my transmission or gear box. I am guessing it has to do with the clutch but I find it really strange the my clutch would go over night with no sign of slipping. My car will go into every gear without grinding. My clutch / brake fluid is full.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
It could be a clutch hydraulic problem, especially if it happened that suddenly. Look under the car for leaks and check the rear of the brake master cylinder reservoir fluid level, thats the clutch section.

Last edited by catso; 11-13-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
Let me see if I understand this right.

1. With the engine running, you press the clutch pedal down.
2. You move the gear shift into any gear and you can feel it go into gear.
3. You release the clutch pedal and nothing happens.
4. The engine continues to run, but the car does not move.

What happens if you press the throttle pedal with the clutch pedal out and the transmission in gear?
Have you tried putting in any other gear or just reverse?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM

I have tried it in every gear and still nothing also tried every gear with my rmp at 2500 and no clutch it did not grind went in every gear no problem. Just wont drive.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder is bad. You need to look under the car & see if you can see any "wet" brake fluid at the slave cylinder.
Here's a link to look over
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...utch_Slave.htm

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 AM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
Something is not right here. The symptoms you are describing just don't add up.
One of two things is happening (or not happening). Either
1. your clutch is not engaging with the flywheel on the back of the engine to transmit the torque to the transmission input shaft
2. the transmission is not really going into gear when you think it's in gear

The default position for the clutch disk is against the flywheel. It's constructed in such a way with the pressure plate so that it needs a reason to move off the flywheel. This is the purpose of the clutch pedal, master cylinder, and slave cylinder. The slave cylinder acts on a lever that lifts the clutch disk away from the flywheel. It possible to get clutch slippage as the clutch disk wears or if the crankshaft oil seal starts to leak, but it would be a gradual thing and not likely to act so quickly that you could've driven it last night and not today.

I find it much more plausible that something is wrong internally with the gearbox, like a selector fork, but it seems really odd that none of the gears would work.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Broken Pressure Plate spring

One thing that people haven't really mentioned.

It's quite possible for the spring in the pressure plate to break (this has happened to me, many years ago on a BMW). The result is that the clutch plate isn't clamped to the flywheel. If the clutch pedal feels lighter, this may well be the problem - it certainly explains your symptoms.

All the advice you've been given is good. But I think you're going to have to pull the transmission and replace the clutch plate, pressure plate and other pieces.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Well I did find the master and slave both leaking. So My first step will be to replace them. I have a feeling my room mate took my car out as a lot of thing seem to be out of place in the car. Im going to hope for the best and pray that its just the two and see.